“Great Hotel - attractive rate” 5 of 5 stars

Bed N' Breakfast
Ranked #6 of 49 Hotels in Albany
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sarasota, Florida
“Great Hotel - attractive rate”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2008

We stayed at the HGI-SUNY Albany for a week at Thanksgiving 2008. I had to adjust our stay to add two days shortly before arrival, called the hotel directly and they extended the two days requested as well as the rate - bed & breakfast for $109. a night, which I consider a find for this quality hotel. The location is good and although its not close to the airport, it is convenient to most everything else in that area.

Check-in was quick and efficient, and although they don't have anyone to help you to the room, they do have an ample supply of large carts. The room was good size with nice furniture, and upon request they almost instantly brought us two extra racks to hold our open luggage. The Internet was included but local phone service was not, so we used our cell phone - a minor but noticeable inconvenience. Parking is available both around the hotel and in the basement, an unusual but convenient setup.

Breakfast was a combination cooked to order eggs, omelets, pancakes, waffles, etc. plus a very nice buffet with several fruits, juices, rolls, Danish, muffins, etc., as well as potatoes, sausage and bacon plus a daily entré - quiche, a breakfast pudding, etc. Very nice, but perhaps the best part was service by Sharon and her assistant - always prompt, friendly and personal! We had a family gathering there one day, and they made a room available for a private service on Sunday - a very nice touch! They also offer dinner and have a small bar, but we didn't try either as we were busy all week with family and friends.

Our new favorite place to stay in Albany, where we visit regularly. I'm just afraid we won't be able to find that rate or even one near it; it is a real bargain for the cleanliness, comfort and friendly service we experienced! A REAL WINNER!

• Liked — The overall experience was excellent, and the rate was great.
  • Disliked — PAy for local phone srvice
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Ashburn, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2008

Extremely pleased with our stay over the recent Thanksgiving weekend. Great location in regards to access to I-90 and I-87. Food and shopping within easy two mile drive. No real negatives. Bed a little stiff and pillows were typical hotel issue. No major gripes though. Pleasantly surprised to find that the hotel has an underground parking garage. Definite plus in the winter. Bottom line: Highly recommended.

• Liked — Great rate
  • Disliked — Pillows were uncomfortable.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2008

I stayed here for business overnight. If you're looking for the cheapest hotel in the area this is far from it -- the area is literally full of different hotels that all share a big parking lot -- but I found the service and the amenities exceptional for a college-area hotel. My room was comfortable and a quiet as it could have been given the highway outside the window (masked pretty well by the room fan). Everything was clean and attractive, the wireless worked simply and easily and everything just made sense. No confusing alarm clock, no confusing tub/shower, no confusing TV. The room *had* a clock, shower and tv and they were all simple and easy to use.

While I found the odd bed-controls to be a little silly, the mattress, pillows and blankets all combined to be one of the better hotel sleeping experiences I've had this year. The only off part of the experience was someone banging on my door at 10 am after I specifically hung out the Do Not Disturb sign. However, when I mentioned this to the front desk, they were very courteous and apologetic about it.

Be warned, other than the hotel restaurant, there is no place to eat within walking distance besides a Subway restaurant in a gas station. The lobby does feature free cookies and hot water and regular and decaf coffee all day and night. Parking is simple and there's a big lobby (also with wireless) that's comfortable for hanging out in as well as a business center where you can do printing and copying. I enjoy the funky hotel experience sometimes but for this trip I was pleased to have a very professional and relaxing hotel experience for a decent price.

• Liked — clean, easy, professional
  • Disliked — ignored do not disturb sign, no nearby restaurants
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Kitchener, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2008

This hotel wasn't as easy to find as you might expect since there is no sign out for the road. Easy to get back on the highway if you're heading west. My suite ended up being cancelled due to other guests staying longer and they promised adjoining rooms around the same price which did not end up happening so the stay was more expensive than anticipated. The check-in process was extremely unfriendly and unhelpful. The room itself was good and fairly normal for the Hilton Garden Inn. I would definitely stay at one of the many other hotels in this area before I would stay here again.

• Liked — nothing was exceptional
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Vienna, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2008

Stayed at the HGI Albany SUNY Area for one night with my wife and 2 young sons (2 & 4) as part of a reunion with some of my wife's closest college friends and their families. We booked the hotel's one-bedroom suite, which had a separate living area with a pull out sofa, a separate bedroom and one and a half baths. The accommodations were perfect for my family, as my older son slept on the pull-out and we brought a Pack & Play for the 2 year old who also slept in the living area. The accommodations were spacious and the hotel had HD TVs, which I thought were very good.

The only downside was that each floor only had one suite, so each of the five families had to stay on different floors, so socializing at night was a bit of a challenge. We had to pile into one family's room to "hang out", but as our kids all started getting sleepy we had to break up the party and go to our respective floors. Next time we might trade the suites for adjoining rooms so we could be in closer proximity to one another.

The hotel seemed fairly new and was in very good condition. The indoor pool was a big hit with all of the kids, though I think we reached its capacity with about 8-10 people in it. The restaurant gave everyone a chance to get a good, hot meal before we hit the road at the end of our stay. Overall, everyone in the group gave the HGI high marks and we all said we'd try to use it again for another reunion, as it was about halfway for those families traveling from upstate NY as well as the NYC/LI areas.

I would definitely recommend this for families on the weekends, and it seemed like a reasonable place for business travelers from Mon.-Fri. Also, the close proximity to other restaurants, shopping, and activiites (apple picking, in our case) was excellent.

• Liked — Cleanliness and great value.
  • Disliked — Restaurant filled up quickly when the hotel was sold out. Could use more tables for dining guests.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
Upstate NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2008

I travelled here for fun with my 9 year old son.
The room was immaculate with everything we needed on hand. Front desk staff relaxed, approachable and helpful. The location is very close to the wonderful NY State Museum and downtown and other sights we were interested in.
Beds here. are truly to die for-so cozy and comfortable, right down to the pillows! I groaned and felt really sorry for myself when my 9 year old son jumped up and woke me at 6am, excited to start our day. Breakfast buffet also was excellent.-though NB there is a charge if you are not a member of the Hilton "frequent flyer" club.
My only complaint was that I wished I was there longer!

• Liked — Quality and location.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2008

We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in August for one night en route to NYC. We had a great stay. Room was very clean and modern. The recently renovated and it shows. Clean carpets in the hallways. New LCD tv's. Very nice. Property was well kept. For the price we felt we got great value.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Albany / SUNY Area? Share your experiences!