“impersonal service & so-so location” 2 of 5 stars

Bed N' Breakfast
Ranked #6 of 49 Hotels in Albany
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Kitchener, Canada
“impersonal service & so-so location”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2008

This hotel wasn't as easy to find as you might expect since there is no sign out for the road. Easy to get back on the highway if you're heading west. My suite ended up being cancelled due to other guests staying longer and they promised adjoining rooms around the same price which did not end up happening so the stay was more expensive than anticipated. The check-in process was extremely unfriendly and unhelpful. The room itself was good and fairly normal for the Hilton Garden Inn. I would definitely stay at one of the many other hotels in this area before I would stay here again.

• Liked — nothing was exceptional
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Vienna, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2008

Stayed at the HGI Albany SUNY Area for one night with my wife and 2 young sons (2 & 4) as part of a reunion with some of my wife's closest college friends and their families. We booked the hotel's one-bedroom suite, which had a separate living area with a pull out sofa, a separate bedroom and one and a half baths. The accommodations were perfect for my family, as my older son slept on the pull-out and we brought a Pack & Play for the 2 year old who also slept in the living area. The accommodations were spacious and the hotel had HD TVs, which I thought were very good.

The only downside was that each floor only had one suite, so each of the five families had to stay on different floors, so socializing at night was a bit of a challenge. We had to pile into one family's room to "hang out", but as our kids all started getting sleepy we had to break up the party and go to our respective floors. Next time we might trade the suites for adjoining rooms so we could be in closer proximity to one another.

The hotel seemed fairly new and was in very good condition. The indoor pool was a big hit with all of the kids, though I think we reached its capacity with about 8-10 people in it. The restaurant gave everyone a chance to get a good, hot meal before we hit the road at the end of our stay. Overall, everyone in the group gave the HGI high marks and we all said we'd try to use it again for another reunion, as it was about halfway for those families traveling from upstate NY as well as the NYC/LI areas.

I would definitely recommend this for families on the weekends, and it seemed like a reasonable place for business travelers from Mon.-Fri. Also, the close proximity to other restaurants, shopping, and activiites (apple picking, in our case) was excellent.

• Liked — Cleanliness and great value.
  • Disliked — Restaurant filled up quickly when the hotel was sold out. Could use more tables for dining guests.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
Upstate NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2008

I travelled here for fun with my 9 year old son.
The room was immaculate with everything we needed on hand. Front desk staff relaxed, approachable and helpful. The location is very close to the wonderful NY State Museum and downtown and other sights we were interested in.
Beds here. are truly to die for-so cozy and comfortable, right down to the pillows! I groaned and felt really sorry for myself when my 9 year old son jumped up and woke me at 6am, excited to start our day. Breakfast buffet also was excellent.-though NB there is a charge if you are not a member of the Hilton "frequent flyer" club.
My only complaint was that I wished I was there longer!

• Liked — Quality and location.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2008

We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in August for one night en route to NYC. We had a great stay. Room was very clean and modern. The recently renovated and it shows. Clean carpets in the hallways. New LCD tv's. Very nice. Property was well kept. For the price we felt we got great value.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Long Island City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn from 8/29 through 9/1. The hotel is new and was very clean and comfortable. The hotel is located right across from Suny Albany. It is centrally located to some good restaurants in the area, as well as nearby malls. We stayed in room 615 which had a view of the suny campus. The room had a good size fridge, a small microwave, and a very comfortable bed. There was free internet access and free parking. There is also indoor parking available located on the ground floor. We found this very convenient as the elevators went to the ground floor, and we didn’t have to walk far to get to the car. The hotel also offers complimentary fresh baked cookies during the afternoon at the concierge desk, as well as coffee and tea daily all day. We will definitely stay here again the next time we are in Albany. We think this is one of the better hotels in the area.

• Liked — clean
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Great Falls, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2008

I stayed here several times for business during 2008 for multiple days. I think it is the best hotel in the SUNY area. It is new. The hotels around it is old and stinks.

The rooms are nice. Decent work out facility. Across the street from SUNY giving you plenty of space to walk or run. It's 5-10 minutes from plenty of restaurants.

I definitely would stay there again.

• Liked — It was new
  • Disliked — Cost of breakfast
  • Stayed May 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
silver spring, md
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2008

Stayed here for 2 nights for a job interview in Albany. I chose the perfect hotel; I got a lot of rest in the clean, comfortable beds, had excellent meals in the hotel's restaurant, and enjoyed watching the flat screen TV in my room. I am not familiar with Albany, but, the desk clerk was more than willing to help me find my way around with maps, and provided great suggestions for things to do. There was not a staff member without a smile, and I got a great rate too. I am aware that this is a newer hotel, and in addition to a beautiful facility, they have friendly staff was well. I was calm, well rested and prepared for my interview, thanks to the Hilton Garden at Suny.

• Liked — clean rooms, comfortable beds, nice staff
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Albany / SUNY Area? Share your experiences!