“A little out of the way but...” 4 of 5 stars

Double Your Points!
Ranked #3 of 49 Hotels in Albany
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sunnyside, New York
“A little out of the way but...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

This is the overflow hotel for the big one in downtown Albany. Well appointed, quiet rooms. Excellent front desk service. Free wifi and remote printing. Fridge and microwave.

Nighborhood offers no reasonable dining options in less than 12 ninute walk. One dreadful Chinese takeout..

Room Tip: Get an upper floor. Ask to stay away from wedding party groups.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Smithfield, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Stayed 2 nights while visiting Albany Medical Center for a relative. As an Hilton Honors member was given the chance to upgrade to a suite for a minimal fee. Suite area was 1 1/2 times the bedroom, which was spacious. There was a queen sofa sleeper, arm chair, dining table with 4 chairs, microwave, fridge, wet bar, widescreen tv.
Upon arriving the bedroom area was hot and the suite area even hotter 80+ degrees, Called front desk and maintenance person was there in under 5 minutes. Within a couple of minutes more the problem was fixed. King bed is adjustable for firmness, free water bottles upon arrival, free coffee and teas at front desk in am, and for visiting the hospital there is a enclosed walkway so you don't even have to go outside. Only downside is that they now charge for parking and breakfast. Will stay again when in the area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Reading, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Great Hotel!!! If you are going to the Hospital it just across the street or there is an Enclosed walkway.. The Recovery grill is good at a fair price. If you are nice to the staff, you get it back 10 times over.

I'll go back anytime just due to the staff.

Room Tip: Get the ocean view room. They still have not installed an ocean but I did request it.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Concord, New Hampshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed in this hotel for his interview in January 2013. Upon check in we were told that a queen sized bed wasn't available and it'd be a 90 minute wait for one unless we wanted to check in right away with a room with two doubles. The room was overpriced for the amenities... or lack there of. The room was drab and kind of depressing. Nothing really impressive in that regard.

There seems to be some very serious environmental problems with the heating system. My husband and I both experienced dry itchy eyes or a reaction to something in the room which appeared either to be dust in the heating system or the chemicals used to clean the air system. When I raised the concern to the front desk they informed me that they had been cleaned the previous week. (I don't know why they had been cleaned in the middle of January to begin with)

In any event they didn't offer any sort of compensation for this even after I told them we'd had to make a trip to the CVS down the street to purchase eye drops. (My husband had a very important interview the next morning and was very concerned with how showing up with red eyes and how that would effect his appearance.) At the very least they could have offered that I speak with a manager but the woman at the front desk had literately no idea what to say or didn't offer and solutions or apologies.

We found it very hard to sleep given that the thermostat turned on and off very loudly over the course of the night. The sheets and white lacy bed spread were scratchy and in my opinion not what you would expect from a Hilton. They were either low quality or laundered improperly but noticeably rough.

The only room service they did offer was only from 5-9PM and came from the restaurant located downstairs. Which was a sports bar theme featuring burgers and sandwiches and tacky decor. We found the cocktails to be better than the food but was conveniently located on a cold winter day.

Furthermore, service seemed to be slow and lazy during my late checkout at 2:00. Although the lobby was empty I had to call twice in a 25 minute time period to ask for a bell hop to assist me with my luggage and bring a luggage cart. They sent someone who didn't appear to be a bell hop but just sent some random employee. I even heard over the maid's walkie-talkie in the hall that my room "kept calling" for a luggage cart from the front desk woman who seemed annoyed.

The ONLY up side was the proximity to the medical school but otherwise I would definitely have no desire to stay here again. In no way would I consider this to be a three start hotel. Everything was terribly disappointing. Given the other reviews I am shocked by my experience and went in expecting more.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
AlbanyMedGM, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Albany Medical Center, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us. It’s disappointing to see that you were not satisfied with your stay. I would like to discuss these issues with you personally so we can figure out exactly what happened, and how we can avoid them in the future. Please feel free to call me directly at the hotel so we can continue this conversation. I hope to hear from you soon, and we hope you will consider giving us another chance the next time you are in Albany.

In the spirit of hospitality,
Nick Boulas
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

We had a family emergency and the Hilton Garden Inn was very quick to assist us with a fresh clean room. Michelle was very nice and made our stay a great one. The Recovery Room restaurant was a great option for dinner and drinks. Great hotel to stay at.

• Stayed January 2013
Schenectady,NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I stayed here after having surgery and if being near hospitals is a goal, this hotel has a walkway leading to Albany Medical Center and is right down the street from a drugstore and other hospitals. Rooms were clean, bright and aesthetically pleasing. Comfortable beds and adjustable mattresses. The pillows were plentiful and perfect; not too hard or too soft. Water pressure and temperature both great! in the shower. Quiet with thick dark shades on windows for sleeping well.Mostly covered from parking lot to door so you don't get soaked when it rains. Service was great! both at front desk and room service.Very quick, friendly and accommodating.Separate keys for each floor. If there was one complaint it would be that the movies cost 16 dollars to rent.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Stayed here for two nights on a work-related trip. Very comfortable, very clean, friendly staff. Parking in the back of the hotel adjacent to medical center parking garage ($10/day I think). Breakfast is very good and plenty to eat for $11. One reviewer wrote that they would not feel comfortable walking more than a block from the hotel. I could not disagree more. I walked over to Madison Ave, and down to Lark St, and walked both sides of Lark over to Washington Ave. In the dark. The next day, I walked over to Washington Park, through Washington Park to the other side of the park (beautiful and charming architecture!), down Western Ave to State Street, down to the Empire State Plaza (re: this plaza...didn't know if I was in an episode of Brady Bunch or time traveled back to the days of the USSR, It's super ugly, comrades!). Anyways, I never felt unsafe. Ever. Another reviewer said they thought the rooms were small. Also I couldn't disagree more. Our room...we had a King bed with plenty of room to move around...was what I would consider standard, if not a bit larger. It was quite comfortable. The bed was also very comfortable, and the bed linen smelled like bleach...i.e. very clean. I would definitely recommend this hotel. Another reviewer complained about the pool facilities...I have to agree here. Pool extremely small, and hot tub not hot enough and water level in the hot tub a bit low. These facilities are not very important to me, and would not deter me from enjoying a stay here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Albany Medical Center? Share your experiences!