“Interesting experience” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Montreal
“Interesting experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

We stumbled into this hotel last minute just for one night. Requested a government rate and we were told that we could only book it only, therefore we used their hotel computer and booked it in front of them...a little odd but saved money...the room was comfortable, and very clean. We had a very tiny window, maybe a foot wide....which made the room feel dark. The elevators are very old and noisy, but the hotel in itself is older...however we had everything we need, it was very clean and the beds were very comfortable, we slept well. This hotel is downtown, and if you are traveling with children you need to drive to a restaurant, as the ones nearby are motly bars and not ideal for families.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Dobbs Ferry, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

74 State is a great hotel. The hotel is warm, inviting, and very well managed. The rooms are attractive, quiet, and nicely decorated. There has been a lot of attention to detail, so the customer experience is seamless. The front desk staff is very attentive and responsive to the clientele. I left a piece of jewelry behind. The staff kicked into gear, recovered the jewelry and forwarded it on to me straight away. I am confident that anyone staying here will have a comfortable, enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Some rooms don't have windows. The building is between two other buildings.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Pasadena, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

I stayed here recently because I was in town to take the NY Bar. The hotel guaranteed breakfast by 7am on exam day. This never happened. They also promised to prepare a box lunch for you to take with you on the morning of exam day. This also never happened, so that the first day of the exam, I was stuck without a lunch and had to spend my lunch hour hunting down someplace to find lunch, waiting in line with what seemed like all of Albany. I was completely unprepared for lunch because I relied on the hotel's promise to deliver. Had I known, I would have organized my own lunch the day before and saved myself the additional stress.

The worst part was that they charged me for the breakfast and the lunch, even after the hotel manager specifically requested that the charges be removed. At check-out, the staff member was very defensive and unapologetic about the whole mishap, and I do not normally get angry, but I had to push to get him to remove the charges. This was indicative of the entire experience. Staff unapologetically offering sub-par service and not acknowledging their mistakes.

In addition to that, the "normal" part of the hotel service (i.e. non-Bar related) was sub-standard. My shower was never properly cleaned (there was hair in the drain - gross), and my necessities like soap and shampoo was never replenished. The taxi back to the train station that they supposedly ordered for me never appeared, and the breakfast, when it did arrive, was burnt, cold and disgusting.

For $250 a night, I'd rather cut off my own arm than stay here again, even if the location was great for the bar.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

Booked via Kayak for around 110$ (warning, you won't get any Choice Hotel points if you book via a 3rd party) at the last minute. We were supposed to stay one night in Hunter NY but our motel was so crappy that me and my 2 travel partners opted to scram. I actually booked this in a rest area on route to Albany. We were not dissapointed. This is a 1930s-40s hotel which is now part of the Choice Ascend Collection.

Check in was a bit lengthy. We were provided a high floor room with 2 queen beds, the room was spacious with a huge bathroom. Nice wall mounted LCD TV with good selection of channels. Free Wifi. Did not check the gym given we arrived late and left early. Had a good nice sleep.

The parking options are pretty good in town, parking at hotel was 15$ but we opted for a 5$ parking lot on a side street which did the job. Walking distance to a couple of good restaurant (we went to the City Beer Hall

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Buffalo, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

I've stayed here a few times- Within walking distance of most state offices (the primary business reason for being in Albany) spacious rooms with the appropriate amenities. I believe this is a remodeled office building - if you are a fan of adaptive re-use, you should try 74 State to support such efforts elsewhere.

Front desk is efficient and friendly.

Valet Parking only and don't arrive too late (after 11 PM) because they shut down. Even so, the front desk let me park the car out front under the hotel security cameras and the valet took care of things in the morning

Only down side is the lack of a workout facility but that doesn't matter to everyone I suppose.

Room Tip: If you have a car, arrive early enough for valet parking
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012 via mobile

For the price we paid RIDICULOUS! Allow me to make this short and sweet. We stayed overnight for an Aerosmith concert @ Times Union Center. Location to arena great! Otherwise trip was horrible. Check-in went smooth. Parking is a fee and you have a choice on street or to pay a ridiculous fee for valet. Room were semi okay. Some decor severely outdated. Rugs were awful full of stains!!! No ice machines, pop machines nothing! Worst part is we went to the bar! We approach the bar with a large group. First thing bartender said was "i can't serve any of you guys" when we all are in our mid 20's to late 40'S. To make it worse when we proved her wrong on our age there was NO BUDLIGHT! We ask for shots, NO SHOTS. The server claims this is because "they are too classy" Bartender was so rude it ruined this whole trip. I can go on and on and on but i really dont recommend this hotel at all!!

• Stayed June 2012
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

My friend and I book this hotel,last minute on hotwire....good price but the site offered us just one Queen bed.
Because of one little inconvenience,the staff members offered us two queen beds room,free breakfast,free parking.Furthermore,after I lost my hand bag with all my documents near the reception desk,the receptionist returned me the purse.
I have to say...Thank you!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to 74 State Hotel? Share your experiences!