“Fantastic Stay” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Western New York
“Fantastic Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2008

Perhaps one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. The service at the front desk was stellar and prompt. Perhaps the only thing negative I would have to say about it was that it was somewhat difficult to find. But then again, it was night when we arrived.

The check in area is very comfortable with a fireplace. The staff was very friendly as well.

The room was fantastic and the bed was very comfortable. It was very relaxing and very comfortable. The bathroom was spacious and the robes they had were very comfortable.

Overall, a good experience

• Liked — the bed, the room, the service
  • Disliked — a bit hard to find
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Albany, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2008

My fiance and I got engaged here and we decided to come back for a night for his birthday. We had a wonderful time! We stayed on the 8th floor with a room that overlooked State Street. The room was gorgeous, with a flat panel tv, fireplace, and very comfortable bed. The bathroom was huge, and was also gorgeous. There was a shower stall and a separate bathtub with whirlpool function that also had a shower head. They also had a robe waiting for us to relax in. The restaurant was closed for dinner when we went but we ate breakfast there the next morning. Pricey but well worth it--delicious coffee and food. We didn't have a problem parking. It was the weekend but we parked on the street to avoid the valet fee and the meters only charge on weekdays during business hours. All in all, recommended for a very comfortable, luxurious stay.

The only drawback we found was that the room was sort of bright at night and a little noisy--both functions of a room facing State St.

Recommended for a romantic or comfortable night's stay. I think that business travelers would find this hotel very nice too.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2007

LOCATION: Not really in the best area I guess - apparently, this building sat vacant for something like 11 years? They've completely rehabbed it and are working very hard for the upscale experience. Not
much around the hotel and nothing stays open very late

ROOMS: Spacious - new - nice amenities. Beds are extremely comfortable
- LCD TV on the wall - bathroom was bigger than average w/ plenty of soap, towels, etc. My room had one TINY window that was crammed in the corner - so no view unless I leaned against the wall and looked out. I was on the 9th floor, room 908. Other than the strange window, the room was great.

INTERNET: Wireless in rooms - signal lost a few times while I was online - but was a strong enough signal otherwise.

PARKING: Valet for $16 - kind of a hassle - just pull up in front - getting car back took a little longer. You can just park on the street
too - meters everywhere from 8a-6p, but otherwise free.

FITNESS: 2 treadmills, 1 bike & 1 eliptical machine. NIce size, had huge windows so the people in the office building directly next door could watch you "work out" - no weights or ab equipment, so was kind of a sad little "amenity".

ROOM SERVICE: Great - nice menu - great food - always pricey, but that's room service. Have a restaurant on site for breakfast, etc. too & there is a Starbucks across the street as well.

OVERALL: GREAT service - they're trying very hard. NIce feel in the hotel - kind of out of the way as far as location, but I would stay there again if I'm in Albany.

• Liked — Quiet, clean & new
  • Disliked — Location was a little sketchy
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2007

This is definitely the nicest Clarion I've experienced...

The room was spotless and a good size. I signed on for the cheapest AAA rate (under $100/night), so there was no view (no window, really), but for the price, I'm not complaining. There was a nice flat screen TV and free bottled water daily.

It's location is a block or two for multiple restaurants and nightlife. There is a Rite Aid a block away in case you forget something...

Also, on site there is a wine bar and restaurant. Marche (the restaurant) also does the room service. I did order room service during my stay and found the food to be fresh and tasty. Surprisingly, an upper quality room service experience.

The exercise room was was satisfactory. It was clean and had two treadmills, a stationary bike and an elliptical, as well as a flat screen TV.

The staff was absolutely great. Everyone I encountered was super attentive - anything you need (taxi service, toothpaste, what have you) they were on top of it within minutes.

Another note: The front desk arranged transportation to the airport, which ended up being the Crowne Plaza Shuttle from accross the street, for $27.

Next time I am in Albany I will definitely book here.

• Liked — Location, Overall Experience
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
Horseheads, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2007

I was in Albany for a 3-day conference and stayed at 74 State Street. I'd go back in a heartbeat...what a great place! I am somewhat picky about cleanliness, and I am a bear about quiet. This is the place to stay for both. My room was spotless and luxurious. The marble bath was lovely. My only (admittedly small) complaint was that the soap was very "old-ladyish" smelling, and the flowery scent clung to my hands the entire day. The bed was heavenly, with clean, crisp linens and lots of pillows. Flat screen TV, Saratoga water, coffee maker, comfy robe...all included. The staff was the biggest surprise. Usually when traveling I encounter some courteous staff, some just ok. But the 74 State Street staff were SO solicitous! They all called me by name, even the valet and bellman; the desk clerks were professional and accommodating; the room service folks were fast (breakfast arrived hot and delicious exactly 11 minutes after I called!); and the housekeeping staff doesn't miss a trick. Smiles were everywhere, and they all made me feel as though I were a special, special guest. Because of a day-long meeting I had to check out but needed to leave my bags and car at the hotel. The staff arranged it all and did not even charge me for leaving my car in the garage the whole extra day.

One of the best things was the quite - they must have extra insulation or something in the walls because I never heard a sound the entire time I was there.

I understand that they have only been open for less than a year - what a great job. By all means, stay at this little gem of a hotel and let yourself be catered to by their wonderful staff.

Stayed October 2007
Glens Falls, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2007

Very nice, upscale hotel in great location in downtown Albany. Close to the Capital Rep Theatre and the Palace. Clean, comfy with a nice flat screen tv!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Parking Fee
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
brooklyn, ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2007

The style of this hotel is just right. Not frilly, not overly staid, a kind of art deco cool. The hotel is conveniently located in downtown Albany. We were in town to see Bob Dylan and the Times Union Center was only a block and a half walk. There are plenty of bars and restaurants within walking distance too.

Our bathroom deserves mention here. It was very large and again, just right in style and comfort. No tub but a walk in shower, plenty of counter top space. Plenty of hot water. Plenty of towels.
The bed was comfortable with plenty of pillows. The only thing odd was that we did not have a window that we could look out of nor open. I guess it faced on an air shaft rather than any sort of view so it was fitted with an opaque coat of frosted glass.

Every staff person we dealt with during our one night stay was pleasant and polite.

• Liked — Overall Style
  • Disliked — Window did not open nor have a view.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to 74 State Hotel? Share your experiences!