I have a bit of a struggle deciding whether to assign this hotel a neutral (3-dot) or above average (4-dot) rating. This hotel is less than a year old as of this writing, and was apparently built from the ground up from a vacant lot, according to their website. Since the hotel was built from scratch and not retrofitted, I'm not sure why so little thought went into the design of the hotel. Let me explain.
The rooms are, as one would expect, modern, fairly large, and comfortable with new fixtures. The internet connection worked very well. I also found the rooms quiet (I was on the 6th floor). The gym was small but adequate with everything in working order. No pool. Despite letting them know I was HHonors Gold, they quoted some absurd sum to use the sauna or steam room ($15 per half hour as I recall), so we didn't use it needless to say. As happens more than half the time at Hampton Inns, I was not recognized as a Gold HHonors, and had to call the front desk to remind them to bring me a bottle of water and snack (despite the fact that I had e-checked in through [--]).
Here's the bad design paragraph. This hotel has 10 floors with 121 regular rooms and 44 suites. Although the elevators are quite fast, who in his right mind would think that two small elevators would be adequate to handle the traffic? At times they were so full that people could not cram in further and had to wait for another elevator. Also, the breakfast area was tiny and had only two toasters, each capable of handling one English muffin or one bagel. One would think that anyone with at least 9 or 10 neurons in his brain could figure out that this wouldn't be adequate for a hotel of this size. People litterally had to eat standing up.
The parking situation was also bad. When we brought the car in, we were asked for and gave them the time we would be leaving. When we arrived at exactly the stated time, however, our car was against the fence with at least three cars in front of it and on either side. Obviously this ended up being a rather time-consuming experience. Wasn't it obvious to someone when they were building the hotel that it would need a modest parking structure rather than a tiny lot?
Other than the nice rooms, however, there was another reason I was overall satisfied (albeit not entirely pleased) with the hotel. Their upscale restaurant, Yono's, was definitely a memorable dining experience. At $49, their rijstaffel was both delicious and reasonably-priced (with some extras included, i.e. amuse-bouches), although the service wasn't as spectacular as the food quality.
All in all, I felt I had received a reasonable value for the $80/night I paid. I would have rated them lower had I paid more for the reasons I mentioned. Nevertheless, I could have booked the Crowne Plaza for about the same price that night, and I ended up wishing I had. This place is nice, but I could have done without the needless frustrations.
- Also Known As:
- Hampton Inn And Suites Albany - Downtown
- Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown Hotel
- Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown Hotel Albany
- Hampton Inn Hotel Albany
- Hampton Inn Albany
- Albany Hampton Inn
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The upscale downtown Albany hotel features 121 lavishly-appointed guest rooms, 35 suites with microwaves and refrigerators, eight whirlpool suites and one executive 2-room suite. The new hotel boasts wired and wireless Internet access, complimentary On the House® hot breakfast, on-site exercise facility with sauna and steam room, plenty of meeting space (we specialize in law firm deposition meetings), fresh hot coffee and tea in the lobby 24/7 and, of course, Hilton HHonors® points and miles for your stay. Eleven accessible rooms are available. All rooms and suites are smoke free and feature the Clean and Fresh Hampton Bed™. Welcome to Albany’s brightest new star!Yono’s Restaurant, and dp, an American Brasserie, share space near the entrance of the Hampton Inn & Suites! Just a step through the doorway for hotel guests, this upscale fine-dining restaurant features creative continental and Indonesian cuisine for a memorable dining experience.The Hampton Inn & Suites Albany Downtown is centrally and conveniently located to many downtown attractions, government buildings and points of interest. Business travelers will enjoy easy access to the area’s many businesses and corporations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Tingo, Travelocity, Hilton Hotels, EasyToBook, Hotels.com, Venere, Agoda, Fareportal and Otel so you can book your Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.