“Great place to stay.” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
New York, United States
“Great place to stay.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I stayed here for a wedding in late October 2012, and the place was very nice. We arrived early and they wouldn't let us check in early, which was a bit of an inconvenience, but the gentleman at the front desk was very nice and allowed us to use the relaxation room in the gym, which I really appreciated. The room was very clean and I wish I would have stayed longer. I would definitely go back, especially considering the fact that I have stayed at much worse hotels in downtown Albany (i.e. the Hotel Albany).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
Nancy L, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear OLEVIN,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review. We apologize that we were not able to accommodate an early check in for you. When we have busy weekends with weddings and other events sometimes we are unable to get our guests checked in before the guaranteed 4pm check in time. However, we are so glad that you enjoyed the relaxation room while you waited. We would certainly love to welcome you back for a longer stay next time you are in the Albany, NY area!

Richmond VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

I had stopped staying at Hampton Inns long ago opting for what I thought were "higher" end hotels. Well, welcome home. A two day stay at the Albany Hampton end has changed my thinking. With a courteous greeting and a helpful check in I was sold. They room, a spacious "king suite" awaited me. Free wifi and business center amenities were a plus. The location is a short walk to the Capitol and government offices where I was working. I regret being a sub in the past!

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear BILL80,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. We are very happy that you decided to give Hampton Inns another chance and that you chose to stay with us. We strive to make our property feel like home for our guests and not just another hotel stay. If you are in the Albany, NY area again, we look forward to welcoming you back!
Plattsburgh, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I stayed at this hotel while in town on business, and I can't wait for my organization to call me to Albany once more, so I can stay there again!

The staff was excellent, from the valet to the front desk; everyone was friendly, helpful and professional.

The room was clean and the decor was modern and stylish.

The fitness room was adequate, it's not huge, but all I ever need is a treadmill to run on and I'm happy!

The restaurant connected to the hotel, "The dp", was wonderful. The food was delicious, though unfortunately they do not deliver to the room and one must go down and pick the food up. However, the Ahi Tuna sandwich alone is worth a trip back!!

The hotel location was very convenient for me, as I only had to go to the Foley Federal Courthouse on Broadway, which was literally a 5 minute walk. I opted to leave my car in the hotel's valet parking for the entire course of my stay, rather than attempt to find parking down near the federal offices.

Overall, my stay there was very pleasant, and I would highly recommend this location for any Albany business travelers working in the downtown area.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear SKG1983,
We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. When a guest leaves happy enough to leave such a wonderful review, we know we did our job. Thank you for the review and we can’t wait for your organization to send you back either!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

This past weekend 11/10/12-11/12/12 we once again had wonderful stay at the Hampton Inn downtown on Chapel St. This has become our hotel of choice when visiting Albany. It's courteous and helpful staff is always welcoming and available to help. Since our children live in Albany we are there at least once a month and find this hotel's service and location ideal. We highly recommend it to people who plan on visiting downtown Albany.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Nancy L, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear DIANA G,

Wow, thank you for such a nice review! We are so appreciative that you have chosen us as your hotel when you come to the Albany area. We pride ourselves on our customer service and being a hotel that is convenient and comfortable for our guests so it is nice to hear such great feedback. We look forward to your next stay with us!
upstate ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I experienced complete 100% satisfaction with the establishment and their highly trained, friendly and competent staff. The greeting upon arrival was friendly and courteous. The room was clean and comfortable. The maid service outstanding! Thank you, Bessey! You retrieved my hair drier! The Operations Manager (so sorry i forgot her name!)that called me to tell me they found it and would return my personal effects was very kind and considerate. I am happy to share my positive experience!

• Stayed October 2012
Dear UPSTATENYKRIS,

Thank you for your glowing review of our hotel! We appreciate that you chose to stay with us and it makes us so happy to know how much you enjoyed your stay. Guest satisfaction one of our top priorities so it’s great to know that from check in to check out you experienced nothing but the best from our staff. We let Bessie know how grateful you were and it put a smile on her face! Again, thank you for such a nice review and we hope to welcome you back again soon.
New England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Front desk staff extremely polite courteous and helpful. Room was very very clean and well appointed, especially the bathroom with updated fixtures and a large stand up glass enclosed shower rather than the tired old small crappy typical hotel bathtub. The bedding was clean and seemed new. One of our beds had obviously been ruined, as if the same fat person slept in the same spot for years, it was like sleeping on a slope, thankfully we took a room with 2 beds so we were able to use the other bed instead. Microwave and refrigerator in room, very nice. We did request frig so I'm not sure if it would have been there or not had we not requested it. No extra charge.
Our 2nd day we discovered upon our return in our bathroom a spray bottle of cleaner and a filthy disgusting cleaning rag, obviously misplaced by cleaning staff. I was horrified that this rag was laid down near my personal belongings. Was obviously an oversight, but that rag was disgusting and given our clean our room remained during our entire stay, I am not sure what it was used to clean, but it had no business being in our room never mind being left behind and laid down near our personal belongings.

The valet situation we weren't told of ahead of time so we coughed up the extra $13.50 per night for that. We were assured it was a secure lot and our vehicle would be safe and looked after. BS. At first I was bummed at the rear facing room since there was a lousy view but was glad after as we had a view overlooking the parking lot and were able to see that our car lights had been left on! Went down to turn them off, no one anywhere in sight to mention it to. We could have done whatever we wanted in that lot, not a soul around. The second night our car was parked next to the door, no big deal, except that when I glanced out the window I saw a group of people leaning and sitting on my car as they were waiting for their car to be brought around. Again, went down to complain, by the time we got down from the 8th floor the group had gone off in their own car and again no valet anywhere to mention it to. There is a free public lot that is diagnonally facing the "secure" lot as well as on street metered parking and I think next time I will opt to self park for free or by meter since the "secure" part of the parking deal is obviously BS so what were we paying extra for? Coffee station was to be 24 hours but was frequently lacking, hot water and coffee were often empty. Breakfast cleanup crew was rude and pushy at 11am breakdown of breakfast area, repeatedly asking us if we were done with the plates and trash on our tables in a matter that made it clear they wanted us out of their way so they could clean up. Food was taken away as we were serving ourselves, not very nice.

We did have an issue with a crowd partying outside the elevators right next to our room, a call to the front desk and security removed them immediately so that was nice, I will remember next time to ask for a room away from the elevators.

I would consider staying here again, but will self park and ask for a room away from elevators. Overall it's a clean and lovely property.

Room Tip: rear facing on a higher floor if you want to be able to see your car in the valet lot or the public...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
Dear TERKOT,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay. We value all of the feedback we receive from guests. We are glad that you were pleased overall with your stay. We work hard and take cleanliness very seriously and are glad to see that it is noticed!

In regards to the parking lot, we apologize that you were not completely satisfied with the service there. Our lot is owned by another company and we do our best to work with them to ensure security and satisfaction among our guests.

We would love to welcome you back and invite you to let us know if you are not 100% satisfied during your next stay. Again, thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback!
NY, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I stayed here for the second time, and it was just even better from a few years ago. First of all the staff is incredibly friendly and welcoming. Second the hotel is a four or so block walk to the main government office area and court of appeals. Third the free hot breakfast buffet in the lobby is terrific. Fourth, the bed is so comfortable and shower pressure is v good. Of note there is no room service. If you want to go for a walk after dinner, ask staff for safest area as north of the hotel as some parts of the adjacent area are deserted and not as nice.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Nancy L, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear LITTLEBITFUSSY,
Thank you for staying with us again! We are very glad that you had a great stay and found the hotel to be convenient. We strive to provide amenities that will enhance your stay so hearing that you enjoyed things such as the breakfast, bed, and shower makes us feel great! Whether you come for business or leisure, we would love to welcome you back again the next time you are in Albany.
Thank you again!