“Nice Albany hotel” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Astoria, New York
“Nice Albany hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

Good location to the interstate and downtown Albany. Hotel was very clean and staff was very nice. Great lounged area in the hotel, DPs and a very nice high end restaurant also. Parking lot being the building is worth small fee.

• Stayed September 2010
lms5367, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown, responded to this review, August 18, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about the hotel. I am glad you enjoyed our lobby . Hopefully you were able to sit in the lobby and enjoy the coffee and tea we have available 24/7! We truly love receiving feedback from our guests. We hope you stay with us again the next time you are in Albany!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

I chose this hotel because they allow large dogs and I have a large dog and needed a place to stay in Albany. This was my first time traveling with my dog and this hotel was wonderful. They would be great with or without a dog. I liked the valet parking. It was worth the extra bucks. I may be going back to Albany next year, and I would stay there again, and bring my dog.

• Stayed June 2011
kyledzembo, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown, responded to this review, August 13, 2011
Thank you so much for taking time out of your schedule to share your thoughts of the hotel and staff! We are thrilled you had a great experience with us and look forward to having you as a return guest in the future. I'm also glad you found the parking lot worth the fee and will be sharing this with our friends in Maiden Lane, the management company who operates the parking lot. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts and we look forward to seeing you again!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

This Hampton Inn is one of the nicer ones. Because it is nicer and it is downtown, the price reflects that and is more expensive than most Hampton Inns. The rooms were very nice and very clean. They do have the Hampton Inn touch where they've thought out every little detail. We ate at the restaurant attached to the hotel. They are both very nice and you can order off of both menus when one is closed. The complimentary breakfast was also very good. The wi-fi was free and was pretty good. The only negative is that you have to pay for parking. This can get expensive if you're staying multiple nights. It is a very nice hotel and I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
lms5367, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown, responded to this review, August 9, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a kind review about our hotel. We are glad you had such an enjoyable experience and felt the "Hampton Touch" while staying with us. We pride ourselves on great customer service and we appreciate all feedback from our guests! Unfortunely, since we are located right downtown parking is limited. We hope to see you again and we truly value you as a guest!
Stanford, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

I stayed at the Hampton Inn while taking the NY bar exam in downtown Albany, and I was very glad to have gotten a reservation -- my friends who were staying farther away had the stress of driving downtown each morning of the exam, while I only had a 5 min walk, and I could come back to the hotel during lunch breaks. The location is perfect for walking anywhere downtown, and is also easy to get to from the highway.

Pros: Service was excellent, free internet was appreciated, my bed was extremely comfortable, and the bathroom and shower were clean and reasonably spacious. Free breakfast in the mornings included make-your-own waffles, hot eggs and sausages, and cold pastries, cereals, and yogurt -- nothing gourmet, but impressive for a free breakfast! I also ate dinner twice at ''dp An American Brasserie," the hotel's casual restaurant, which was very good value (e.g., Asian glazed Pacific salmon for $16 and chicken satay for $2.50).

Cons: After the first night of the exam, the hotel's fire alarm went off around 9 PM and I had to walk down many flights of stairs to the lobby, but the managers were extremely apologetic (it was some problem with the steam room); had it been 2 AM I would have been more annoyed. My biggest complaint was probably that the walls were somewhat thin, so I could hear when someone was talking on the phone in an adjoining room, but this wasn't a problem once I turned my room's AC fan to always-on. Also, while I (as always) checked my mattress for bedbugs and saw that it was clean, a friend of mine in the same hotel who didn't check ended up with lots of bedbug bites -- so you should definitely check, since this can be a problem at even the fanciest hotels.

But despite these problems, I'll be back -- I don't know of a better combination of service, comfort, and value in downtown Albany.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
kyledzembo, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown, responded to this review, August 8, 2011
Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your schedule to share your thoughts on your recent stay with us! I'm glad my staff made you feel welcome and we were able to deliver strong customer service across multiple departments. It certainly is an exciting time for us when the bar exam is in town! It is nice to know our efforts are noticed by our valued guests as we strive to outstanding customer service to each and every guest. Please accept my sincerest apology as I'm sure the fire alarm being pulled was quite the inconvenience. Luckily my staff and I are trained to respond to such events to insure our guests are safe and taken care of. Also, regarding the potential bed bug issue that was brought to our attention I am pleased to inform after a thurough inspection no bed bugs were found! Again, thank you so much for your comments and it is comforting to know the service level provided by our staff is appreciated.

Hope to see you soon!
Defiance, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

Good legislative location, good rooms, paid parking is aggravating, excellent staff.

• Stayed August 2011
kyledzembo, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown, responded to this review, August 6, 2011
Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your feedback on your recent stay. I'm so glad you had positive things to say about the hotel and the staff. It is always nice to share comments with my staff as they love to know their hard work is noticed by our valued guests. If you have any further questions, comments, suggestions or need assistance with any future reservations please do not hesitate to conatact myself directly. We hope to see you soon!
Allentown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

This was my third or fourth stay at this Hampton Inn for business and I see no need to even try anywhere else in the Albany area. The staff is always friendly and helpful and the rooms are clean and spacious. The beds are comfortable, flat screen TVs nice, internet fast, and bathrooms very clean. The valet parking located right behind the hotel is convenient and the attendants are quick and efficient. I have eaten dinner at dp: An American Brasserie each time I stayed and have truly enjoyed the experiences. The location is very close to the downtown government and business offices and is only a short drive to and from major highways. This hotel is wonderful for any business trip to the Albany area. My only recommendation would be to include room service from the restaurants as the bar area can get very crowded in the evening.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
lms5367, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown, responded to this review, July 30, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for writing such an amazing review about our hotel! We absolutely love our regular guests, you guys make us excited to go into work everyday. I will pass on your kind words to my entire team. I am glad you were able to eat at DP's restaurant because it is a wonderful place to eat. And there are tons of great restaurants walking distance from the hotel so if you need recommendations, definitely ask one of my team members. Thank you again for continuing to stay with us and we look forward to your next stay!

Leah Shapiro
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

We stayed at Hampton Inn & Suites in downtown Albany for 5 nights because we were writing the NY Bar. The hotel located in a central location within walking distance to all the state buildings (Times Union Square is an easy 10-minute walk from the hotel) and one block away from S. Pearl Street where you can find a number of restaurants and pubs. We found the customer service at front desk to be friendly although we thought that the night staff was much more friendly than the day staff. There are, however, a few things to point out about this hotel:

1. The windows do not open so you cannot air out your room at all. Our room had a funky smell that was similar to a rotting rag and overpowering Pine-Sol-type of air freshener that we found plugged into the air conditioner. It felt stuffy and smelly in our room.

2. The air conditioner is quite loud. If you are a light sleeper or want to ensure a good night's sleep, bring ear plugs. We ended up waking up at least twice in the middle of the night because the air conditioner would turn on and we couldn't turn it off because it was too hot.

3. There was no hairdryer in the room. No safety deposit (but one is apparently available to you at front desk).

4. Fitness facility is basic - two treadmills, one eliptical machine and a basic weight training machine plus free weights. We heard that the hotel partnered with Steuben Athletic Club which offers a larger fitness facility, swimminng pool and fitness classes but the front desk staff seemed very confused when we asked about this and we had to tell them in detail (including the name "Steuben") in order for them to give us a coupon that would allow us to enter Steuben Athletic Club. We tried to check it out on Saturday but the entrance doors to Steuben Athletic Club were locked. We returned to the hotel to ask the front desk if the Club was closed on the weekend but no one at the front desk could give us an answer.

There is a "Relaxation Club" which is attached to the fitness centre that offers steam and dry sauna and a tanning bed for a "nominal fee". We did not try it so cannot comment on it.

5. Local calls are free which came in handy when we had to order food on the weekend when the entire downtown core seems to shut down. On Sundays, both restaurants in the hotel (dp Brasserie and Yono's) are closed.

6. The hotel does not offer an airport shuttle. It cost us $32.00 (without tip) to get to the hotel via a cab from the airport.

7. Hot buffet breakfast in the morning is a very nice touch. They offer a variety of different menu depending on the day and can include scrambled eggs, hardboiled eggs, variety of cereal options, bacon, sausages, waffles, muffins, yogurt, oatmeal and juice.

Overall, the hotel to be pleasant but not great. However, it is Albany and if you are coming from a bigger city, you need to adjust your expectations because this hotel seemed to be one of the best and the most popular among the students writing the NY Bar.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a nice review about our hotel! We look at all comments in order to improve and become a better hotel. I am very glad you decided to stay with us when taking the NY Bar Exam. I am sorry you were disappointed about the smell in the room and I am definitely following up in the matter. For future stays, there is actually a hair dryer in the room - it is underneath the sink in the bathroom! We believe in providing excellent service to our guest and we hope to see you again in the future! If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Leah

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown? Share your experiences!