“Very good ... about what I expected.” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Reel Seafood Company is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #59 of 598 Restaurants in Albany
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Bar, Oyster Bar
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night, Private Dining
Potsdam, New York
“Very good ... about what I expected.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

My wife and I decided to try this place. I have heard mixed reviews from others, but nothing too bad. It turned out about what I expected. I ordered a half dozen Blue Point raw oysters which were fabulous! They were served on ice, and those who have read my past reviews know that I do not approve of this practice because it makes the oysters too cold and ruins the taste of them. Well, I was surprised, and I owe it to the fact that they were shucked and set aside to warm up before putting them on ice or some other process. At any rate the final product was superb! Tender not chewy. Just the right amount of chill. A little Tabasco and horseradish ... I am in oyster heaven! Unfortunately my dinner did not live up to my expectations. They had soft shell crabs, and because I find them so seldom on the menu I will order them every time. They were fried crispy, but the coating ... loaded, I mean LOADED with bread crumbs! Why oh why would you try to dilute their wonderful taste like that! They weren't bad, but could have been much better.

My wife enjoyed their great New England clam chowder and the Tuscan Salmon off of the regular menu. It was grilled salmon topped with mozzarella and diced tomatoes and basil served on garlic laced wilted spinach. She enjoyed it and was glad that she ordered it.

All in all I would not hesitate to go there again. All fish was fresh, service was good and the selection better than most.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

New York
“Excellent Food and Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

Had a 5 hour layover in Albany so I decided to check this place out. Started out with the oyster special which was fresh and delicious. The bartender recommended the grouper over risotto. Another great choice. However, the best part was the service. The bartender offered me a newspaper and tried to make me feel comfortable after learning about my situation. He even offered to let me hang out while I waited for USAir to get their act together. Very friendly and a pleasant way to while away a couple of hours.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Montreal
“Disappointing...but maybe they had an off day”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

On a recent business trip in the area I went back to the restaurant because I have had many excellent meal there over the past few years with my family.

This one was disappointing.

I menu has changed a lot since my last visit so I couldn't have my favorite main course....broiled blackened scallops so I settled for the only broiled scallop dish on the menu.

They were small, rubbery and were drowning in the buttery bowl. The baked potato was under cooked.

Still hungry I decided to try the rice pudding. It was tough and almost inedible.

Given the excellent meals we have had in the past I am going to give them a "mulligan" on this one and will try it again on my next visit.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Picton, Canada
“Wonderful food, great waiter”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Four of us had dinner here and we all really enjoyed it. We decided to share the appetizers and it was a great choice. We had the Greek calamari which was different than any other calamari I have ever had - they were tender and crisp, with feta cheese, tomato, garlic, spinach etc. The crab cake was full of crab meat, not filling. My favourite was the warm sesame tuna which was perfectly cooked, rare inside and very tender. Our waiter was wonderful, very helpful with our wine selection, friendly without being overbearing.

I look forward to coming here again!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
rochester,ny
“excellent seafood restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

late lunch, had the place almost to ourselves on a very rainy day, chairs comfortable, waitress wonderful, food delicious and very reasonable prices
!