“I will second this as the best attraction in Albany” 5 of 5 stars
Review of USS Slater

USS Slater
Snow Dock, south of Dunn Memorial Bridge (off I-787), Intersection of Broadway and Quay Streets, Albany, NY 12201
518-431-1943
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 71 things to do in Albany
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Savannah
52 attraction reviews
“I will second this as the best attraction in Albany”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

We visited the Slater during a brief stay this past November. We used to visit her when we lived here a few years ago. They have done an excellent job keeping her in shape! Being Navy, and a millitary history person, we have visited many attractions such as this. We absolutely loved the ship! I don't think we will ever make it back to Albany, so I was thrilled at the chance. A definite must see!

Albany, NY
14 attraction reviews
“A great trip for the kiddies and oldsters”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

This is about the only Destroyer Escort left afloat. Most of the parts remain and lovingly cared for by a band of volunteers. I have been to a number of old WWII navel ships, and this is about the best. You can just imagine a crew of 100+ people being on this very small boat in the middle of the Atlantic. The tour and visit is very doable for all ages. A real boy place!

13 attraction reviews
“Best Attraction in Albany”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

Being an Albany native, I'm inclined not to visit attractions in "my own backyard"!. I've lived here for years and yet only recently visited the USS Slater, a deactivated WWII Navy destroyer escort, the only one in the U.S. still afloat. What a wonderful piece of history! I was sorry I hadn't visited sooner. One gets a real sense of what it was like to be a sailor during WWII. I was lucky to have a tour guide whose father was in the Navy during the war. He was not only knowledgeable and interesting but clearly had a passion for his subject. Several of the rooms were recreated, enhanced with the type of items that would have been present in WWII. The commander's cabin even displayed actual photos of his (then) young wife and kids. My 20-year-old son, who is not overly keen on attractions like this, surprised me by saying this was the best "museum" he'd ever been to. I don't think the Slater would appeal to young children but clearly is worthwhile for teens and adults. I believe this attraction is only open from April through November. Adult admission was $7. This is a real must-see if you're visiting the Albany area!

5 attraction reviews
“Slater”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

This old ship is fascinating! Did not expect it to be, but brought our kids for something to do. Worth it for the history lessons and just to see how life was lived in close quarters.

Visited December 2012
17 attraction reviews
“Great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Good for anyone who likes history, navy, or just information in general. very fun. rennovated in the past few years.

Visited June 2013