“Great Mussels” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Merry Monk is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 609 Restaurants in Albany
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Belgian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Castleton On Hudson, New York
“Great Mussels”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

My wife and I stopped in for appetizers after hearing how good the mussels are. Well, they are delicious! They are prepared several different ways - I opted for Thai curry and was not disappointed. My wife had baked brie,which was also very good, and we both enjoyed a couple of pints of Ommegang Rare Vos. The night we were there it was quite crowded and service was sloooow! I only saw one server and she worked her butt off and never lost her cool, even when nearby diners complained about the long wait. We couldn't complain, though, as we had a nice table in the window ( without a reservation ) and the food was well worth the wait! I will definitely return to make my way down the list of mussel offerings!

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Good Belgium Beer & burgers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I had two lunches on two different days at this bar. It was never crowded and I had the same server, who was very friendly. During the first meal I had a Palm cheeseburger, or something like that, and it was delicious. The fries were also great with the coconut curry dipping sauce. Of course, I had a Palm beer with the Palm burger. The next day, I had the grilled chicken caesar salad, and it was very good. I liked the atmosphere and food in this place, which has a decent selection of belgium beers and tv's to watch.

Visited January 2013
Richmond VA
“Went because it was close and found a gem.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

On Sunday night in Albany your choices are limited but that doesn't mean you have to settle. I was very pleased with my visit to the Merry Monk. It is a bar, but the food was great. I had the Fleming Baked Cod and it was delicious in a lemon butter sauce. Not wanting the usual fries that accompany bar food the waitress accommodated me by subbing a house salad. Friendly service, clean and welcoming atmosphere and I will go back, even though I will have more choices on a weeknight.

Ithaca, New York
“Great - food, service, bar - and a really nice beer list”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

Stopped in just after noon for lunch after a morning meeting. We were the only customers, but it filled in steadily. Our server (also tending bar) was terrific - friendly, prompt, attentive, knew the whole menu and made great recommendations.
We really enjoyed our barbecue Boar's ribs and the French dip was delicious - made with brisket, slow-cooked in beer with veggies. It was sliced to hold together when dipped. It is delicious. Portions were large but not crazy and we felt it was a great value for the cost. The drinks? Tall and just right. We really enjoyed our stop here and imagine it must be packed for lunch during the week, and for dinner. Again, our server did a GREAT job.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Albany, NY
“Great beer, wonderful mussels”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Really solid, wonderful Belgian-style restaurant. The dipping mayonnaises for the frites were amazing. The mussels were properly prepared and lovely. Sleek styling for the decor. Our service was very good, too. Can't wait to go back with the husband.

• Visited April 2012