“A really nice stay!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 49 Hotels in Albany
New Hampshire
“A really nice stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We stayed one night in two rooms. Because of the Hotwire reduced rate, I ended up with a smoking room as a non-smoker, but the front desk clerk (Lily) who checked us in was very nice and said if they had availability and I wasn't happy they would try to accommodate me and switch my room. The smell wasn't TOO bad (next time I WOULD ask for non-smoking, but it was OK) and the windows could be opened to air it out. The hallway WAS a bit smoky but I wasn't overwhelmed.

The rooms themselves were awesome and had a lot of amenities - full kitchen, coffeemaker, table and chairs, sitting area with a flat-screen TV and couch. There was a door between the sitting area and the bedroom for privacy if needed.

The bed was very very nice!! I got a room on the Thruway side, and although the noise was heavy with the windows open, with them closed you could barely hear anything.

There's only ONE elevator for the hotel, which is very large and sprawling, and I had a room at the complete opposite side of the hotel on the second floor. If you have mobility issues, be careful of this and stay on the first floor.

The grounds are nice, I was looking forward to the pool, but it was raining and stormy when we got here, so be aware that the pool is outdoors and uncovered. I used the fitness room instead - very nice and quiet, with 2 treadmills, a stair machine and a weight bench.

The breakfast was average I'd say and good, eggs and bacon, pastries and bread products. Nothing to write home about but very nice.

The complimentary "social hour" is held every day during the week, with a different menu. Ours last night was catered by a restaurant called Trevise and it was very good, although they kept running out of courses so you'd go up for a piece of chicken, back for some pasta, back for some salad, and there was no dessert.

BE AWARE THAT THERE IS NO RESTAURANT ON SITE and you will have to drive to find one. During the week there is a "social hour" with limited seating from 5:30 to 7, where you get complimentary dinner type food - there is no choice of menu but the selection looks good - for October they include Make your own BLT, Kielbasa and Sauerkraut, Hors d'oeuvre night, Stuffed shells and Garlic bread - just to name a few of the days' menus. THERE IS NO SOCIAL HOUR during the weekend, so you'll be out of luck for free dinner!

I will definitely stay here again; I come to this area about once a year.

Room Tip: - one elevator for whole place, avoid rooms such as 234 if you don't want to walk a long way...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Cresthill, General Manager at CrestHill Suites Albany, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. The CrestHill family is glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to take advantage of our amenities. Although we do not have a restaurant on site there are many with a 2 to 3 mile radius of the hotel. We will also soon be participating in a new program starting in the area where a guest will be able to order from 10-15 area restaurants and have it delivered right to their door. This will give our guests another great option if they do not want to go out. We hope to see you again next year when you return to the Albany area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Gallatin, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

It was an unknown (to us) from Hotwire. Our suite was nice and huge for the two of us. The cookout was unexpected and the morning breakfast was satisfactory. We had a delightful and quiet evening. I suppose when school is in session things are busier, but August was great for us.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post a great review of our hotel. I am glad you found it to be peaceful and quiet. Actually, August is our busiest time of year. It is great that you could not tell that from your experience. We have quite a few guests who stay in Albany and travel to Saratoga to enjoy the track season. We have our cookout every Tuesday from May -September and our social hour staff fire up the grill and make burgers and hot dogs for everyone! Hope to have you stay with us again if you have hotel needs in the Albany area.
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We stayed at this hotel because it was close to where we were seeing an off broadway play at Proctor Threater in Schnendaty, NY and a day trip to Sharon Springs, NY to see the Beekman boys/Beekman 1802 so we decided to stay here for three days.

The hotel customer service is above average. The hotel was very clean and sits right across the street from SUNY. The rooms were clean and furniture was decent. I don't have any cons for this property. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay.

Tips About the Area:

Be careful shopping at the mall in Albany (which is close to the hotel) because we witnessed security chasing a group of girls in the parking lot because they were shoplifting from Forever 21. Two young adults approached us and asked could they use our drivers license to cash a check (I kid you not). We seen a gentleman get pick pocketed. Also, sales tax in Albany is like 13%. The area is very beautiful and seems safe, just a ton of kids.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel and we are thrilled that you totally enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again if your travels take you back to our area.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

I am very leery of hotels that seem to have inconsistent reviews. Please don't trust the fact that this hotel seems to have more positives then negatives and read into them a little more. This has the potential to be an amazing hotel, the rooms are big and they offer a nice variety of services, if you are there on the right day and ask for it at the right time. Naturally then, someone who books this hotel on a discount website like Priceline or Hotwire is going to feel like they got the deal of a lifetime.

Chances are, if you are reading TripAdvisor reviews, you care about more then just the rate. What if you are going there with the purpose of knowing the amenities beforehand and wanting those amenities?

The hotel got off to a bad start with me as the one bedroom in which I specifically reserved was changed to their standard studio suite. There wasn't even an apology as I was checking in over this, it was more like they were probably hoping I wouldn't notice. That's poor guest service. The stairways looked like maybe they were cleaned in the morning, but no one ever went back to pick up any garbage after that. I inquired to speak to a manager but there was none around, they evidently don't do weekends. Keep that very much in mind if you are considering a weekend stay. I'm not looking for a management resolution now. The time to do that was over the weekend. The reviewer below me seemed to have a similar experience.

Also keep in mind if you are staying on a weekend, that there is no evening meal. There are no restaurants within walking distance, so if you are not driving, you'll be stuck with pizza delivery, probably. There is a shuttle, but this seems to be one of those things you have to get lucky on. It is not a 24-hour service. The breakfast was poor and I almost wonder if I was there the same morning as the reviewer below me. I'm not going to call out staff members though. These are management issues.

As for the room (which again is not the room type I reserved), it was adequately cleaned and everything worked as it should. This is why the hotel gets 2 stars from me, and not 1.

If you get this hotel on Priceline or Hotwire, great. You will be happy! You will be giving it 5 stars!
If you have greater standards and care about much more in your hotel stay then just the rate, you will begin to see this hotel in a different light.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Cresthill, General Manager at CrestHill Suites Albany, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Our sincerest apologies that you were disappointed in your stay although we are glad that you found your room to be clean and comfortable. Although, I personally, was not in the hotel over this weekend we almost always have at least one of our managers working everyday although they may be working various shifts. We have reviewed with our staff that when a guest asks for a manager they should refer them to any manager in the building so that their concern is addressed immediately. Thank you for the comments about what we can improve. We use any constructive criticism as a training opportunity and will discuss with our staff so our guests are not disappointed. We hope that you will return to our hotel and give us another chance. Please feel free to contact me directly. Thank you.
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We booked two nights there this past weekend. At 9AM Saturday morning, my husband and I put the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door and went down for breakfast. When we came back up, the door was propped open and no one was around. MY DAUGHTER WAS STILL IN BED, ASLEEP!!! Anything could have happened to her and/or our stuff. We are grateful nothing did.

Breakfast, too, was a disaster. It was 9AM and the included breakfast was supposed to continue until 10. I confirmed this with the reservationist and she assured me it included a hot breakfast.

Everything was empty. The egg tray had a few crumbs. The bacon tray had a puddle of grease but nothing else. There were three cereal dispensers with Fruit Loops, Apple Jacks and Lucky Charms. Made me wish I were twelve again. There were no other cereals except a single packet of plain oatmeal. There were also two containers of yogurt and four slices of white bread. The woman before me took the last serving of cream cheese. There wasn't even peanut butter.

I went to the very charming receptionist, Lilly, who walked with me back to the kitchen where Lucy and another woman were laughing and chatting. Lilly asked Lucy about breakfast and we were told that the bacon was frozen but that if I wanted to wait ten or fifteen minutes she's make some.

Eventually she brought out a few strips of bacon. I was the fourth person in line. It was all gone. Lucy saw what happened and said "You should have grabbed it when I brought it out." Should I have knocked the other people out of the way? We went back up to find the open door. We went out to breakfast.

The second day, I went down to get coffee before we went out to breakfast. Lucy ran over and hugged me and apologized. Then she went on to tell me that she usually only cooks at night and not in the morning and that she used to clean but "NOW I ONLY CLEAN WHEN THE OWNERS ARE COMING AND THEY WANT EVERYTHING TO BE CLEAN." Is she kidding?

Sunday breakfast was much better. The bread case was full. The sausage and French toast trays were full. There was a corner display of Raisin Bran and plenty of yogurt.

On Saturday when this fiasco began, I asked for a manager. I was told to leave her a voicemail. I did. When no one responded, I called Hotwire, who had managed the booking. They had me hold on forever while they spoke to Lilly who told them that the manager would call me in about an hour. No one called.

Today is Monday. I have called the manager, Ms. Stevens and left another voicemail. I called the Admin office in Syracuse, left a voicemail and never got a return call. I called Hotwire again and was told it was a Hotel problem and they couldn't do anything about it. It's 2:45 in the afternoon and no one has responded. The saddest part is that the property is nice. It was clean. The beds were great. They even had a bowl of starlight mints on the coffee table. This should have been great. It wasn't !!!

Room Tip: Try a chain hotel. At least there, someone cares!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Cresthill, General Manager at CrestHill Suites Albany, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
I apologize that you feel your stay was unsatisfactory. I understand the our Assistant General Manager, Kerry Stevens, did return your call when she returned to the office on Monday afternoon and that this situation has been resolved to your satisfaction and that Expedia has been contacted. If this is incorrect please contact me immediately so that I may take care of it.
Lisa Druckreier
nyc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

Great value. Used discount coupon boom. Clean and modern facility. Great Breakfast with waffles and plenty of other choices. breads, cereal and oatmeal. Right across from SUNY Albany. Right off 90 and near a mall and restaurants. Would stay here again if ever in Albany area.

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and found the room to be comfortable for your needs. We hope to see you again the next time your travels bring you to the Capital Region.

Been to CrestHill Suites Albany? Share your experiences!