“Delicious” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Athos Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 552 Restaurants in Albany
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Athos was voted one of the 50 Best Greek Restaurants in America by The National Herald. Casually elegant, Athos serves only the very freshest seasonal ingredients, lovingly brought together using time-honored recipes and techniques, like clay pot cooking, and whole fresh fish-filleted table-side.
Bedford, New Hampshire
“Delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

This is one of my children's favorite restaurants, and we now go every couple of months. I have managed to get my children to eat some new foods, such as quail and grilled octopus, which they devour. They love the lambchops! My husband always gets the fresh fish of the day. I, personally, could fill up on the appetizers. My favorite dip is the fava, and I could eat the saganaki (sauteed cheese) all night long. My favorite entrees are the lamb youvetsi and, if I want something lighter, the grilled chicken. The staff is very friendly, and I like that the owner is often there and remembers us. I have sent many friends there, and they have all enjoyed it. If you sit in the bar, you can watch the photo show of the Greek landscape -- now my kids want our next vacation to be the Greek Islands!

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Unique and interesting! Special cuisine!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

The menu offers a varied pallet from fish to lamb and incorporates unique flavors and textures. I rarely see lamb or rabbit on a menu in Albany. The rabbit stew was absolutely Devine and expertly seasoned.... An exceptionally unique dish! The staff and management were warm and accommodating; They made us feel special during our family celebration!They even provided us with a private room for our family function. This was a special experience and we are certain to return for all of our special family events!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Lansingburgh, New York, United States
“Wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Delicious food. Some of the dishes take a little time but totally worth the wait. That's what you get for scratch cooking though. Attentive service. Well stocked bar, all New York brews on tap. A gem in the capital district.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Guilderland, New York
“Just ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

slow service, ok food, nice wine and beer selection but that's about it. Butchered the fish when attempting to filet table side. They try but just not there yet.

Visited January 2013
Albany, New York
“Great Food Experience For A Special Occasion”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I cannot speak to whether this is authentic Greek food (I could barely understand the menu), but I can say that it was the best meal I have had at a restaurant in a long time. For appetizers, we had octopus (based on reviews) and spankopita. Both were excellent and the octopus was not overly fried and greasy. For dinner, I had veal chop (a V-Day special), which were three generous medallions on the bone. The lemon potato was different, but good. They also serve many NY brewed beers including Southern Tier ($7). The only negative was that the two person tables are close together (and the person next to us was kind of distracting and obnoxious....leave your cameras at home). The bill for two was a little over $100 (before tip). I also liked that a reservation meant something and we were seated right away. Overall a great experience for a special occasion and I could see why it is the top rated Albany restaurant on this site.

• Visited February 2013