“Great Dining in Albany” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 552 Restaurants in Albany
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Traditional/Contemporary Italian Cuisine, affordable entrees, great service, and the atmosphere is sure to please.
Slate Hill, New York
“Great Dining in Albany”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

The restaurant's atmosphere was not only warm and inviting, but the staff was welcoming and helpful. We called ahead for reservations for a table in the back. The staff accommodated our request and the table selection was perfect. We had gone there at a friend's recommendation and what a great find! The food was excellent. I could eat there a couple times a month. If in the Albany/Troy area, I would recommend a dinner at the Grappa '72.

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Rochester, New York
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

Went here early on a Friday night and was seated immediately. The atmosphere was very nice. White table linen and nice decor. We were a party of 4, 2 adults and 2 children under age 10. It is a VERY nice restaurant so not everyone may want to bring their kids. We all shared the rappi and beans appetizer which was excellent! My spouse had a ceasar salad which was very good and a very sizable portion. Our entrees were the salmon and I had the veal special which were both very good and cooked perfectly. The kids split the pasta with roasted peppers and chicken. This dish had sprigs of rosemary but the kids easily pushed that aside. We each tried a bite of this dish and it was excellent! The gelato was delicious as was the tiramisu. Our waiter Peter was very attentive and very nice. Would definitely go back when in the area again. Not sure why some have given poor reviews. As a first generation Italian-American, I would highly recommend this restaurant to family and friends. The bread is excellent and typically Italian style, crunchy crusty style. They offer a very nice olive tapenade with it and butter but there is olive oil and balsamic on the table if you prefer this instead of butter. For those who are put off by it's location in the strip mall... You are missing out!

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Saratoga Springs, Ny
“Average Italian Food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

I was expecting big things from Grappa '72 after hearing reviews from friends. Driving into the parking lot I already felt unimpressed, the location is on a strip mall that contains two secondhand stores. The outside of Grappa '72 was decorated with white lights which helped make up for its somewhat sketchy surroundings. I walked in with part of my group and the host greeted us and started to ask about a reservation when the phone rang, he picked it up with a 'hold on' finger to us and started taking one of the most detailed phone orders I have ever heard. Its was not a big deal, we were not in a rush but I believe that the 'in-person' people should always be taken care of first, especially when we were in the middle of being sat. The food was good, nothing amazing. One piece of bread I had was rock hard and the next was straight from the oven and warm. I ordered chicken with mozzarella and a balsamic sauce, it again was good but a bit expensive for what it was. Upon the recommendation of the waitress I got the cheesecake which was good, but nothing to write home about.

• Visited January 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Ithaca, New York
“great food comes with high price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

Service was alright, not that they tried to be your friend like other friendly restaurants. Kept us waiting all the time, starting from waiting to be seated (there are so many table available, but they still kept us waiting, waiting to order, and waiting for the food, and again waiting for the bill. The food was average, not like wow or anything, my friend's scallop risotto was pretty tasteless, but my fungi risotto was pretty good, however, not great.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Very friendly and an excellent meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

My friend Jason and I went last night for dinner. We started with a smoked salmon appetizer, which was great, a house salad and for my main course, I had the veal with figs. For dessert I had the creme brûlée. Everything was perfect, from the way it was prepared to the portions served. The house Primativo was a great match for the veal. I'm looking forward to the next visit.