“Delicious food and atmosphere” 4 of 5 stars

1 Crossgates Mall Road, Albany, NY 12203
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Standard Restaurant & Lounge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #41 of 609 Restaurants in Albany
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, African, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Doing business, Bar scene, Large groups, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dessert, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: Walking Distance from the CDTA Crossgates Mall stop.
Description: The Standard is known for its straightforward, classic American cuisine, prepared using home-cooking techniques with fresh, local ingredients purchased daily. The Standard’s menu features over 100 items that will be sure to have something for everyone. “Our menu revolves around ‘classics’ or ‘standards’ restaurant goers have come to know and love, yet with our own unique twist; upscale comfort food. We have popular & unique appetizers ranging from Macaroni & Cheese to our signature entrees such as Horseradish Crusted Filet Mignon and “Forever” Braised Short Ribs. In addition, we offer a variety of fresh chopped salads and gourmet sandwiches.
Somerville
“Delicious food and atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

We really enjoyed this restaurant! Shared the calamari appetizer, and it was crisp and flavorful. I had a Peach Bellini to drink, and I loved it! For my entrée, I had "The Pete Special", which was a half chicken salad sandwich, a cup of creamy vegetable soup, and a small green salad with the house dressing - delicious! My husband had Rigatoni Marsala, which he said was a bit bland, but not bad. He also had the brownie sundae for dessert - it was too sweet for me but he enjoyed it.

The atmosphere was enjoyable - loved the pictures on the wall of the old starlets and music from the 1940's. Our waiter was very attentive, and the food came out in reasonable time.

I would go back!

Visited January 2014

Albany, New York
“Delicious food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

The food is amazing! The Standard Restaurant is a crowd pleaser for everyone! The restaurants atmosphere is the 1940s with Hollywood stars on the walls. The service at the restaurant is always good

Visited August 2013
Clifton Park, New York
“Disappointed in the terrible service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

This restaurant has always provided fairly consistent food. I have never really left disappointed or dissatisifed. However, I've noticed that the service has taken a dramatic plunge since the place first opened up a few years ago. Not only was the service terrible last time I visited, but our waitress was straight up rude. She completely ignored us for over half of our time there and my boyfriend and I contemplated asking for a different server after she deliberately avoided our table for the first 20 minutes that we were there. When she finally stopped at our table, she asked what we wanted to drink. Since we had been waiting for so long we said that we knew what we would like to order too. Well after we told her our drink orders and I was in the process of ordering my meal, she walked away without listening to a single word I said. She came back and dropped off our waters, then walked away again without taking our orders. About 10 minutes later she came back and we were able to put in our appetizer order, but once again, she left the table without allowing us to put in our entree order. Once our appetizer came, she finally took our order. Once our meals finally arrived, she never asked us how our meals were--so we unfortunately had to bother other servers for extra salad dressing, water refills, etc. Sometimes it doesnt matter how good the food is if the service sucks.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Albany, New York
“Second time is not the charm”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

Tried this restaurant about 6 months ago and the food was good, though overpriced. Went again last night and had the shrimp scampi. Ugh. The whole dish was virtually the same color as the plate - white. Large portion of angel hair pasta - shrimp was lined up on the other side of the plate - just 8 shrimp. About 5 pieces of diced tomato and two shreds of parsley, one slice of garlic and a white thin sauce that tasted more like water with cornstarch. No veggies on the plate at all, and all that for $20. The appetizer of fried goat cheese was better. No salad served either. We had a reservation, and it still took the teenage staff (I agree with another reviewer on that one) at least 10 min. to get us seated. They were incredibly clueless. Waiter was top notch, though. Doubt I'll be going back any time soon, as there are much better, and lower priced, options in the area.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Northeast
“Didn't honor reservation”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

I made a dinner reservation at 9:45am this morning, for a party of 4, requested a booth and seating at 7:00pm.

We arrived promptly at 7:00pm, was told we would be seated as soon as a booth was cleaned. We waited 40-minutes and my wife questioned when we would be seated.

The teenage hostess was rude and said we would be seated at the next available table. We were directed to our table in the back room next to a large birthday party of twelve. The table was located right at the entrance to the back room so all wait staff passed the table.

At this point we just got up and left and went to Tesoro restaurant for dinner.

The Standard needs to hire a restaurant manager that knows how to manage reservations, rather then taking every walk-in they need to honor reservations that people have made in advance.