“Good But” 4 of 5 stars

1 Crossgates Mall Road, Albany, NY 12203
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Standard Restaurant & Lounge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #57 of 598 Restaurants in Albany
Cuisines: American, African, Contemporary
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Bar scene, Large groups, Doing business, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: Walking Distance from the CDTA Crossgates Mall stop.
Description: The Standard is known for its straightforward, classic American cuisine, prepared using home-cooking techniques with fresh, local ingredients purchased daily. The Standard’s menu features over 100 items that will be sure to have something for everyone. “Our menu revolves around ‘classics’ or ‘standards’ restaurant goers have come to know and love, yet with our own unique twist; upscale comfort food. We have popular & unique appetizers ranging from Macaroni & Cheese to our signature entrees such as Horseradish Crusted Filet Mignon and “Forever” Braised Short Ribs. In addition, we offer a variety of fresh chopped salads and gourmet sandwiches.
main st
“Good But”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I am not sure how I feel about this place. My first visit I thought wonderful after retuning more times then I care to think I find the restaurant has lost something. It's service is lacking. The staff would rather talk to eachother then take care of customers. The plating is boering. The whole place is my mind is resting on it's early reputation. They need a wake up call. There are other places to spend your money on I think with better food and service.

• 3 of 5 stars Food

East Greenbush, New York
“They've lost their attention to service.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

It is a shame when the atmosphere is awesome and the food is good quality and the service is very below grade. When we arrived just after 5 on a Friday night we had all the attention we wanted but as the busy crowd started arriving (common here) it was obvious that they are not able to keep the service levels up to meet the crowds. When dinner was delivered our waitress promised to come back to refill our drinks. We finished dinner without a visit but what was more disturbing was that there was not a lot of wait staff circulating nor was there a manager walking around looking for unsatisfied faces in the crowd. We must have been looking for waitress for the better part of 10 minutes.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Schenectady, New York
“Wonderful time.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

You have all read about the decor, food, and happy hour, but what I was most impressed with was the following. A person in our party uses a cane and has great difficulty walking and sitting and this did not go un-noticed by the staff. When we arrived, our table was not quite ready, but within a few minutes we were lead to our seating, which had been arranged to seat us all in comfort. The staff is to be reccomended for their discretion. Thank you

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Albany, New York
“Great place for drinks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We go the atmosphere and drinks occasionally for dinner. Be careful, the drinks are strong (and pricey)

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Dalton Ma
“Impressive in every way!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

In case you are unaware, this place is decorated as it might have been in the late 50's and early 60's. Not a new idea but I found this example the best I've ever seen. Our server was excellent, the drinks were as tasty as I've ever had [Dirty Martini and Tom Collins] and the food was really delicious, a decent value and a fair portion. Not evey a picky complaint from our party.

We had an over hour drive to get here from Dalton Ma and it was 100% worth it. I can't wait to come up with an excuse to make the trip again.

Now just one thing about the decoration. The job was so well done...Very authentic to my minds eye...I just don't understand why they had all the HUGE pictures of stars from that era. I mean it would be like hanging pictures of the Grand Canyon on the walls of the Grand Canyon....

I don't think you need 10 pictures of Audrey Hepburn to understand the direction and the decoration of this establishment.

• Visited December 2012