“Great service” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 49 Hotels in Albany
New York City, New York
“Great service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

I recently stayed for two nights while visiting family at St. Peter's Hospital. The rooms are standard, as would be expected for a Marriott property and I didn't use the amenities, but the service received by the staff was exactly what anyone staying to pay a hospital visit needed -they were polite and accommodating. I asked for a taxi, not thinking of other options without a car, and they reminded me that they have a shuttle service to cover 3 mile distances. I was running out the door without breakfast (complimentary) and the desk clerk and shuttle driver went to the pantry to put something together for me. Totally appreciated and was very happy about my choice of hotels.

• Stayed July 2014
Lynsee B, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Albany Downtown / Medical Center, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Thank you for your feedback! I'm glad that our staff was able to make your hospital visit to Albany easier. We hope all went well! Our staff genuinely appreciates your mentions of their service and hope to have the opportunity to serve you again. Thank you for choosing our hotel!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Syracuse, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

This hotel is not an easy off/on a major highway and was in more of a residential district ofAlbany. I guess it would be convenient if you needed a long term stay visiting someone in the hospital and you didn't mind the condition of the hotel. I would not suggest staying there if you plan on doing things in Downtown Albany and plan on walking. While it is only a 25 min walk it is not through the best of neighborhoods.
As far as the hotel itself goes the Suite room we had was a decent size but was in pretty rough shape. The couch and chair were torn, tattered and dirty. The couch and chair were a combo of material that crunched when you sat on it and pleather. It was decorated with a plastic bolster pillow. My shoes were sticking to the wannabe hardwood floor (linoleum to look like hardwood?). There was one unknown chunk of something on the bedroom carpet...if it wasn't a piece of chocolate I don't want to know what it was. The mattress on the pull out sofa was gross. Sheets for the pull out were found in the closet and were clean but slightly worn and tattered. The bed in the bedroom was clean and the sheets were fine.
The Kitchen had full refrigerator/freezer, microwave and was equipped with necessary items if needed which was nice.
The bathroom was big, not elaborate, but it appeared to be clean.
The breakfast was make your own waffles, cereal, toast, some yogurt parfaits...not much else.
Free coffee was available all day in the lobby but it was lukewarm and they did have free granola bars for a quick snack with the coffee which was very nice.
The best part of the hotel was the very friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Vahan V, Manager at TownePlace Suites Albany Downtown / Medical Center, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Dear Won't Be Going Back;
We thank you for your review and are glad that you enjoyed the complimentary coffee and granola bars, our full kitchen amenities, and our staff. We take your concerns seriously and like to know when we fall short of our guest expectations. Our standard is to have every guest room clean and ready for our guests. We do hope you will consider us if you visist the area again. We do provide a shuttle service to downtown, and when it is not available we will make alternate travel accomodation for you.

Vahan Vrijian
Operations Manager
Forest Hills, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

From the moment we walked into the modern lobby and greeted by the friendly professional receptionist, Michael we knew this hotel was a cut above others. This is a model of how a hotel should operate. Michael and Alyssa set the positive tone and all employees we were in contact with the three nights we stayed at this lovely hotel all portrayed the same upbeat enigmatic attitude.

We were greeted by all employees with genuine smiles. Michael went above and beyond good customer service when he left the desk to assist my husband on the guest computer. When the task was completed he asked us if we needed anything else. Alyssa also exemplified going the extra mile when we asked if there were any books available. She searched the lobby and showed us books and games that we could borrow. The hotel was very busy for the July 4th holiday weekend but this service was repeated again and again.

Our spacious, clean well-appointed suite was decorated in a modern motif with views of mountains in the distance. All the amenities one needs for a night or extended stay were available in this suite, including a full kitchen. Our comfortable, king size bed, fluffy pillows and quiet room made for a great night’s sleep. The separate living room area was a wonderful place to relax on the comfortable couch or watch the large flat screen TV. The windows open; I mention this because this is an amenity that is important to me and not always offered in hotels. It is also essential when cooking is allowed in rooms which I will discuss later.

The complimentary shuttle will drive you to and from the hotel within a three mile radius. Perfect for a safe night out enjoying cocktails. Onsite parking was complimentary. Wi-Fi was fast and also complimentary. A guest computer is available in the lobby. Shops, restaurants and the Albany Health Care Center are walking distance. 24hour coffee and tea with snacks were available in the lobby. A guest laundry is available. The fitness center had two treadmills an elliptical machine and fitness ball. The large TV in this room helped pass the time while we worked out.

Breakfast was included and more than ample. Highlights included but not limited to homemade oatmeal with all the fixings, bagels, bread, muffins, yogurt parfait, hard boiled eggs, fresh whole fruit/fruit salad and the make your own waffles. This was one of the most varied and extensive complimentary hotel breakfasts I have had the pleasure to have.

The hot tub and pool were so relaxing and both were the perfect temperature. The pool area, as was the entire building, was well maintained and clean.

A comment about "the smell" that others have reported. The hotel was very clean and I did not detect the smell of "urine". I am in the medical field and I know this odor. Also I live in a large co-op building and when an occupant cooks this can easily be smelled in the halls and even in other units. The suites in this hotel have microwaves and electric stoves. Odors are normal and may be the issue. An open window helps reduce ambient odors.

I look forward to my next visit to Albany and will stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
The TownePlace Suites is delighted that you were able to enjoy the amenities that we have to offer! Alyssa, Michael and myself truly appreciate your reflection on their customer service throughout your stay with us. Our hotel staff takes great pride in their positions, especially these two, and for a guest to recognize them by name is such an honor! Thank you for taking the time to provide us with such a detailed review, we will see you again when you return to Albany! :-)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

Stayed here for a night between two trains after having my flight from NYC to Toronto cancelled on me twice.

Despite being a Marriott Platinum member, I've actually never stayed at a TownePlace. I was expecting something similar to a Residence Inn, but with fewer services, and that pretty well fit the description.

I arrived very late (around 2:30 am) and the lady who works the front desk at night is super! I forget her name, but she was very friendly. The lady who checked me out was also great too!

I was given room 616, which was a king 1-bedroom. The room was massive! In fact, it was probably about the same size as a 2-bedroom at most Residence Inns, and also had better decor than most Residence Inns too. The bathroom was a bit tight though. Everything was very clean.

I do agree with the previous reviewer about the smell of this place. Yes, I did have a feeling that this had to be something else before being a hotel (my first guess was a seniors' residence) but it did used to be a nursing home. The giveaway was the fact that the elevators were abnormally large. It is probably an older building, but the only giveaway to this is the old looking staff elevator (requiring a key) that is around the corner from the main ones. The hallways do smell a bit strange, but then again you're not in the hallway for very long. The room did, however, smell fresh.

The bed was comfortable, with good linens.

I didn't get to check out the pool or hot tub.

They do serve a limited continental breakfast, with adequate selections.

I had to leave in a big hurry in the morning, and they even drove me to the train station!

I'd definitely return if I was in the area!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
First off, thank you very much for your loyalty to Marriott! On behalf of the Marriott TownePlace Suites we appreciate you choosing our hotel as your first TownePlace Suites experience. It was very refreshing to see your expectations of the brand and then how our particular property was able to meet your needs. We look forward to you coming back to Albany!
Memphis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I am normally not too particular on where I stay. People that work here were nice enough... however I couldn't get the smell of urine out of my nose for a couple days after staying there. I realized only after I stayed here that this was once a nursing home. Rooms looked great and everything was up to date... but there was a distinct smell in this hotel that must be hard to get rid of.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Lynsee B, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Albany Downtown / Medical Center, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
On behalf of the TownePlace Suites we apologize for your unfortunate experience with us! Thank you for your delightful comments regarding our staff and our suites.
Bethel, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

The best part of this hotel is the friendly attentive staff. There was the genuine friendly greeting from a young lady Jonnell (pardon spelling). She had a bright happy personality that was real. Not faked because she has to smile when somebody arrives.
Also throughout the week anybody you would pass in the hallway or in the breakfast area in the morning if the worked there they said hello & wished you s good day.
Rooms were fresh & the hotel seems new but has been there since 2008. People state its in the middle of nowhere & do not like the area? I see no issues. If the 24 hour McDonald's across the street isn't good enough there is shopping and dining within a 5 to 10 minute drive. Malls & local restaurants & chain fare such as olive garden etc. Lark street is a score!
The breakfast is the typical continental fare. Nothing great but they do have waffles, bagels cereal juice etc.
You can rest assured I will be back when I am in the Albany NY area again. Sorry Fairfield inn Washington ave!!!

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Jack, we appreciate all of your feedback! That's awesome that you've had the opportunity to explore what is just minutes away from our property and take advantage of what Albany has to offer! I LOVE that our hotel still seems new, we have an extremely dedicated staff who ensures everything is very clean and well maintained so that it feels that way! See you next time you are in Albany!
Eden, Vermont, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

This is an amazing hotel to stay at. The night front desk lady is super good and amazing. It is so clean this is my 2nd time staying here and I will be so happy to do it again. Its in a great location, and they are so accommodating. I must say they do an amazing job here at this Marriott...

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Thanks Jonathan! This is a great review that our hardworking staff will greatly appreciate! Thank you for staying at our hotel and we can't wait to see you again!:-)

Been to TownePlace Suites Albany Downtown / Medical Center? Share your experiences!