“Can not say enough nice things about this hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
3-Night Stays: Save 15%
Ranked #11 of 49 hotels in Albany
Pompton Lakes, New Jersey
“Can not say enough nice things about this hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I spent 17 nights at this hotel and while I wish that I was in Albany for a better reason I couldn't have asked for a better hotel stay.

Every morning they have a breakfast that includes Oatmeal, cereal, bagels, breakfast bars, milk, juice, coffee etc. There are grab and go bags and containers if you are in a hurry. My favorite part of breakfast was the waffle maker. The breakfast area is very clean and well stocked.

My one bedroom unit was HUGE. Lots of storage and my daughter had a big area to play in.

The hotel is SUPER clean. I have never seen a hotel that was cleaner. The staff were always cleaning and restocking supplies.

My room was always cleaned and my things were never touched.

The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful. All of the staff, no matter the hour were always smiling and were very helpful if you needed information.

The hotel has a shuttle bus that takes you around the local area. It was so nice being able to take a shuttle to the grocery store or into downtown Albany.

Complaints
My biggest complaint about the hotel is the fact that it is in Albany and I will most likely never go back. This hotel is very well run and is an example of how things should be done.

Room Tip: I stayed on the 4th floor and it was nice and quiet the whole time I was there.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Lynsee B, Manager at TownePlace Suites Albany Downtown / Medical Center, responded to this review, December 16, 2012
On behalf of the Marriott TownePlace Suites Albany Downtown/Medical Center, we would like to express our sincere appreciation for the review that you have posted on our property. It's great to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast selection and had the opportunity to utilize our other amenities such as our shuttle! We certainly take great pride in our customer service and your kind words make it all worth while. Thank you for choosing the Marriott TownePlace Suites and sharing your experience with us. We hope to see you back if you do happen to visit Albany in the future!

101 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Poughkeepsie, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

While Marriott may consider its TownPlace Suites as a lesser brand as compared to its signature Marriott hotels, I was pleasantly surprised by the spacious suite and amenities at this downtown Albany hotel. When you see the minimal lobby, you may wonder why you chose this newish property. However, the rooms, designed for longer stays, feature a small kitchen, a rather large living room space with desk work area, comfy couch, easy chair, ottoman and flat screen TV. The good-sized bedroom has a king size bed and another flat screen TV. I found the small bathroom rather awkward and poorly designed. You cannot open the door all the way as it brushed up against the cabinetry under the sink, so a door stop was put in to keep it from marring it. You also won't get fluffy towels. The bathroom is the only room reminder that you are paying more for functionality than luxury.

The small breakfast room was never overcrowded and served a variety of hot and cold cereals, bagels, hard boiled eggs, juice, coffee and tea. There is a small workout area with a couple of treadmills and an elliptical machine, as well as a small pool and whirlpool. The staff were all very pleasant.

While not located in one of Albany's better neighborhoods and facing difficulty getting into and out of the property because of traffic volume blocking the entrance/exit, it is a convenient location for the city's hospitals and a short drive to the area's colleges and the Capitol, with its nearby state office buildings and State Museum, which is quite nice. There are no restaurants in the immediate neighborhood, but you can to several by a short ride and there is a take-out menu in the room.

I used Marriott points to stay here - only 10,000 -- which to me was a much better deal than the $179 room rate that was listed for the room that night. It must have been a busy week in Albany, because many hotels, including the Marriott on Wolf Road in Colonie, were booked solid. For the number of points needed for a free night's stay, this hotel was a bargain.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Lynsee B, Manager at TownePlace Suites Albany Downtown / Medical Center, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with a thorough review of our property! We certainly appreciate your feedback and are extremely delighted that you would stay with us again in the future. In regards to your comments on our bathroom area, I do apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused you throughout your stay with us. This is definitely an area that we will look into to make the necessary changes so that there is enough space for the door to open all the way. I am glad that you were able to experience the amenities that we offer and that they fulfilled your needs. On behalf of the Marriott TownePlace Suites Albany Downtown/Medical Center, thank you for choosing our property and we look forward to having you back!
Buffalo, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

This was my first stay at a TownePlace property, so i am not sure if all similar brand hotels have the same size room, but i was surprised how large my one bedroom suite was. I had a king bed, and plenty of room in bedroom, plus living/kitchen area was size able as well.

Hotel is very convenient to Medical Center area and Capital District in general. Relatively easy to get to off Rt 87, and close to restaurants that were mostly local type in the area.

I would definitely stay here again

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Lynsee B, Manager at TownePlace Suites Albany Downtown / Medical Center, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review! We're very happy that you found our suite so spacious and that you had plenty of room. We look forward to accommodating your future stays in Albany are glad to hear that we will be seeing you again! Thank you for choosing the Marriott TownePlace Suites Albany Downtown/Medical Center!
sf
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Impressed. First time at TownePlace and would stay again. Suite is good quality and well appointed. Only exception, not enough storage---need something outside the bathroom (plenty of room for a storage area). And, breakfast was very average--actually, below average. Bump up the breakfast (better healthy selection), dramatically improve coffee quality, and the hotel would deserve a 5 rating.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your response! That's great to hear that you were impressed by our property and that you finally experienced the TownePlace Suites Brand. We certainly appreciate your feedback and will do our best to make the necessary changes so that next time you stay with us we will earn a 5. Thank you for choosing the Marriott TownePlace Suites Albany Downtown/Medical Center, we look forward to accommodating your future stays!
Middle Island, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I had stayed here for a business conference in October with a coworker. While I was there only one night I wished I could stay for more. Was pleasantly surprised with how big and clean the room was. We were in a 2 bedroom suite. The beds were very comfortable and everything was so clean. The hotel staff was very helpful and friendly always ready to give us a hand with whatever was needed. The morning breakfast that was included was also very nice. From cold cereal to freshly made waffels it was delish and nice to not have to leave the hotel to get breakfast.

Would stay or recommend in a heart beat

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Lynsee B, Manager at TownePlace Suites Albany Downtown / Medical Center, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your review! I'm glad you enjoyed your suite as well as our breakfast! Hopefully the next time you are in Albany you will be able to stay with us for a longer period to be able to experience our additional amenities. We look forward to accommodating your future stays in Albany! Thank you for choosing the Marriott TownePlace Suites Albany Downtown/Medical Center!
Kingston, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

If this hotel's idea of being "friendly" to my pet is to charge me a 100 bucks a night for the "privilege" then this hotel ain't no friend of my pet, and never will be. Sorry, you lose. We'll snooze elsewhere. We recently stayed in a 4-star, pet friendly hotel near LaGuardia in NYC that charged us nix/nada/nothing (as in zero dollars) for our pet. Now that's pet-friendly! Needless to say, we'll be staying there again. Have a nice day :)

Room Tip: Non-smoking bylaw apparently not enforced. Stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
On behalf of the TownePlace Suites we would like to express our sincere apologies for our unexpected pet fee. We try to do our best at informing our guests at time of booking as well as on our websites that there is a pet fee which is for the cleaning processes that take place once the pet departs from our property. We certainly hope that the rest of your stay was pleasant and that you choose to try us out again in the future. Thank you for staying at the Marriott TownePlace Suites Albany Downtown/Medical Center.
South Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this hotel at the beginning of October with our 2.5 year old.

The staff was wonderful, from the desk attendant who was there at midnight when we arrived to the daytime desk and housekeeping staff. We had a few complicated questions (like dealing with nearby road closures due to a breast cancer event) while we stayed and the desk staff were able to provide informative responses immediately or very quickly.

The room was spacious and bed was comfortable. Having the kitchen was great for keeping food for our little one. The room was a true suite with a door that can be closed between the living room/kitchen/office (which has a sleep sofa) and the bedroom (we've stayed in "suites" at other hotels that just had a partition between the areas.

The breakfasts were also good, including options like fresh fruit and parfaits that I haven't seen at other hotels. I took our daughter to the indoor pool for a couple of hours and it was maintained at a comfortable temperature.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Lynsee B, Manager at TownePlace Suites Albany Downtown / Medical Center, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Thank you very much for your review! We certainly appreciate your feedback and are glad you and your daughter were able to enjoy our amenities! On behalf of the Marriott TownePlace Suites Albany Downtown/Medical Center thank you for choosing our property and we look forward to accommodating your future stays in Albany!

Been to TownePlace Suites Albany Downtown / Medical Center? Share your experiences!