“This place is so good... I am tempted to keep it my secret...” 5 of 5 stars

Morgan State House
3.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   393 State St., Albany, NY 12210   |
Ranked #1 of 6 Albany B&B and Inns
Upstate NY
“This place is so good... I am tempted to keep it my secret...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2008

I have stayed at the Morgan State House in Albany, New York (just off Washington Park) on several occassions and I simply love staying there.

This is not a "hotel"... but rather a B&B. The facilities and staff are all top-notch. On my most recent visit, the owner (Chuck) went out of his way to sort several "off-menu" requests and at times of the evening that I would not have expected someone to answer the call, much less respond.

Coffee and crullers in the morning... peaceful... centrally located (one block from Lark Street... the Albany art district that serves-up a gastronomical adventure), easy access...

One time, they even let me use their facility without charge so that I could change for a formal function (being a semi-regular probably helped here... but maybe not).

Simply outstanding...

• Liked — Having tried many other accommodations in Albany, this is simply the best.
  • Disliked — Being a
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2008

Stayed at the Morgan State house in February 2008 for a few nights whilst I visited the city to take the bar exams.

Not only was the hotel one of the cheapest in the area considering the great demand for rooms at that time, it was absolutely exceptional.

The staff were very friendly and went out of their way to help us throughout our stay.

The room was well decorated and clean. The bed was very comfortable and the kitchenette provided all the equipement we needed to cook our lunches and dinners. All in all we were very impressed.

The breakfast layout was slightly different, but fantastic nonetheless. Each morning the food is laid out in the main kitchen on the ground floor, and guests are encouraged to come down and help themselves to the array of food available. A large table is provided, and also a REAL log fire, which all made the experience that much more comfortable, cosy and enjoyable.

The only points I would suggest for improvement is the fact that our bathroom in the bedroom did not have a scrubber to clean the toilet ourselves, and also the fact that guests always have to lock the main door behind them when leaving the main exit, can be sligthly frustrating. (An automatic closing/locking door should be installed.)

Essentially the Morgan State House was all we could ask for and more. It exceeded our expectations, and we would definitely visit it again. The staff were amazing, and so was the hotel.

• 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
westchester, ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2008

What a gem! A gorgous room, the most comfortable bed, relaxed but elegant. Beautiful view of the park through leaded windows. Walk to the best restaurants. A fantastic continental breakfast the next morning. A must if in the Albany area.

• Liked — beautiful room
  • Disliked — parking a bit tough
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2008

I have stayed twice at the wonderful Morgan State House. It is comfortable and they are good with late arrivals, which is not always the case with B and Bs. There are some rooms with full kitchens. Great if you have business at the Capital or LOB - they are both a stone's throw away.

• Liked — proximity to capitol
  • Disliked — some parts of the neighborhood did not feel safe after dark
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
the berkshires
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2008

A late weather-related need to stay overnight in Albany was the excuse for my second stay here, and it was just as terrific as the first time. The property is magnificent and just feels like you are at home in the lap of luxury being coddled. I view the Morgan Statehouse as the best inn in Albany.

Stayed February 2008
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2008

This was a pretty awful experience. After a long drive, the innkeeper or receptionist, Robin did not show us to our rooms, nor did she offer to help me with my bags up the creeky flights of stairs. The room was very nice and other rooms looked pretty nice, as well. Breakfast consisted of 3 week old expired Thomas English Muffins, Tropicana OJ, fruit that was soft, bananas not ripe, some muffins, pastries, oatmeal, store bought bread, Thomas bagels, and butter. Not very appetizing to look at. I am used to staying at expensive places and this B&B cost so much that it should have a nicer breakfast like the others I've stayed at. Definitely not worth the money!!! Please save your money and go elsewhere. I read all the reviews on here before going and decided that it would be fine, but the negative reviews are correct. The hosts were unfriendly and were never seen. I understand that the innkeeper said that they like to stay out of their guests' ways, but this was too much. They need to rework some things to make their guests happier. I did not feel welcome at all and will never go back. In fact, a friend who worked at a B&B Upstate had similar experiences with them, but had told me after the fact. Good luck...

• Liked — Leaving early the next morning!!!
  • Disliked — Unfriendliness of the employees (and having to stay there)
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2008

My husband & I have been visiting the Morgan State House for at least three years now. We have family in the area and were looking for a place that would make family trips into more of a vacation. We came across their website while searching for affordable B&Bs in the Albany area. Our goal was to find affordable lodging with the comfort of home. The Morgan State House definitely fits the bill. We've stayed in almost all of the rooms in the main house and a lot of the condos next door. We have our favorites but they're all great! All of the rooms are very charming and have the most comfortable beds & linens ever. I was so tired leading up to the Christmas holiday that I was actually dreaming of Christmas night when I could finally rest in one of their amazing beds. Both buildings are very old and the staff has done a great job of keeping the integrity of the original architecture while still offering all of the modern amenities. The staff is so friendly and helpful. They are always very accomodating even if we are going to arrive in the late evening. They've always been very flexible with us. We absolutely love it here and I'm sure will be visiting them for many years to come.

Stayed February 2008

Been to Morgan State House? Share your experiences!