“Quaint” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
“Quaint”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

I went here for dinner on a Tuesday night with one other person. I'm a vegetarian, and ended up ordering two appetizers to share (vegetable shu mai and steamed vegetable dumplings), and then vegetable tempura. I felt like there weren't too many entree options for vegetarians, and would have liked to have what I usually have at sushi restaurants, which is a "dinner entree" that includes two or three rolls, and miso soup and/or iceberg lettuce salad with orange ginger dressing. I realize that I could have ordered all these items separately, but didn't bother.

We both liked the appetizers; I liked the dumplings better than the shu mai. The tempura was good, although I don't eat tempura much, not being a "fried food person". The miso soup that came with my entree was good.

It's a really small place; probably can seat no more than 30 people, sp it's a little cramped, but the staff was very nice, and the decor was attractive. Friendly people.

All in all, I liked what I had, but I don't know if I'd go back, for lack of entree selections. I would, however, like to order takeout and check out their sushi. I tend to prefer takeout to dining in a restaurant, though, if that lens perspective.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Cooperstown, New York
“best sushi in Albany”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

It is in the back of a small strip mall and not very big -- but it is the best sushi I have found in Albany! Fresh and delicious!

Visited February 2013
“Best Sushi in Albany!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

There are so many sushi restaurants popping up around the area---some of the buffets are great if you want to just try a ton of different types of food, some are fusion and give you a chance to try lots of different cuisines, and others (many), well, just aren't very good---but for the best straight-up Japanese in Albany --- at the best prices you'll find anywhere---Sushi Tei is the place to go.

In addition to excellent sushi, I've tried many of their appetizers and a few desserts, being satisfied every time. I've sent many friends here, all who have really enjoyed themselves as the food, atmosphere, and service are all excellent.

If you really want a bargain---come for lunch. You can get 2 rolls, soup, and tea for under $10 (or 3 rolls for a few dollars more).

There are other sushi places in Albany with good sushi, but in my opinion, they charge much more for what they offer without adding any quality.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Albany, New York
“Recommended and didn't disappoint”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

One of the few good sushi spots in albany area. Friendly staff. Busy for lunch and dinner hours (good sign).

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Very good sushi!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Came here one weekday night- in the area for business. Convenient location and a very warm and inviting ambiance inside. Terrific service but there were only three tables with customers. Good selection of Japanese (bottled) beer and a great assortment of "special" rolls ranging from 10-15 dollars each. I got three rolls- 2 specials and a plain spicy tuna. The spicy tuna was fresh and tasty. The other rolls- I'm not sure if I just chose poorly but they didn't taste as fresh and were not especially good. They were just ok. I can't compare this to any other sushi places in the area and it will definitely suffice for some convenient, fast, and relatively good sushi.

• Visited August 2012