“Lukewarm to poor customer service on a good day...” 2 of 5 stars

Valmer Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   P.O.Box 72 | Victoria, Mahe Island, Seychelles   |
Ranked #12 of 34 hotels in Mahe Island
Port Royal, Virginia
“Lukewarm to poor customer service on a good day...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

As a sales rep, I travel at least 10 nights per month in a number of hotels and have traveled abroad several times to various B&B's...so I've been to many, many places and tend to compare hotels to others.The reviews that I read about Valmer Resort while trying to find the perfect spot in the Seychelles sounded great...and helped make my decision to stay there. Wow, what a sad disappointment from the minute I arrived with my family! When they say "on a hill", boy, it's a STEEP hill. Unless you are into hiking, it's not for those who aren't fit. The beach was inaccessible at best...the water could be seen from the pool..quite a beautiful view actually...but getting down to the beach and then back up again was not a good option. The restaurant had very few offerings for lunch and all were quite expensive for the quality. The WiFi was very limited and only available in one spot by reception. This was the first place I've stayed with that didn't have someone to help 24/7 which was a concern when I went looking for a soda before bed...nope, the restaurant was closed at 10pm and no other options were available...not even the standard bottled water, complimentary or for a price, that every hotel offers nowadays. For the $300+ per night that we were paying, the service was lacking and the accommodations were not what you'd expect for the price. When I tried to speak to the manager about these concerns, he was rude and sarcastic. The only positive thing about my stay was that the rooms were clean and well-kept...but our stay was a huge disappointment for a very high price. All in all, it isn't the best choice on the island...there are other hotels for the same price that actually have beach access and aren't so isolated, which is what I thought I was getting...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Bernice D, Guest Relations Manager at Valmer Resort, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear Madame,

We are sorry to hear that you had some bad experience at our hotel. With regards to your comments, allow us to give you a reply:

Yes the hotel is perched on a hill but not as you are describing. We do have a club car service for our guests to use and we have pathways throughout the hotel so it is not a hike in a forest. The closest beach, about 5 minutes walk from the hotel, is a beautiful beach that all our guests enjoy. We do not advertise that we are located on the beach however the beach is not inaccessible.

We have a variety of options for lunch, a light meals menu and an a la carte menu. There are over 30 options on these 2 menus. We believe that our prices are competitive, especially our light meals menu, as our menus include 15% tax, compared to other restaurants which exclude tax until the final bill. As for the quality of our food, we are sorry that the pizza and sandwich you ordered did not meet your expectations. This is the first complaint we have had about the quality of the pizza and sandwich, which you did not complain about at the time you were consuming.

We offer Wifi for our guests in the lounge and reception areas at no charge 24/7. Kindly note we are looking to extend the free Wifi service to the pool area. Many hotels in the Seychelles charge for internet usage, limit the amount of hours spent on the internet or do not have internet at all, so we believe that our internet service is very reasonable.

Kindly note we do not offer 24/7 service, as not only are we a self-catering hotel but we also have a restaurant that opens daily from 7am until 9.30pm, depending on how busy we are. Upon check-in we advise guests about these times. We are not comparable to a 5 star hotel as we are a small family run hotel, with limited service. As we are a self-catering hotel, we do not provide free beverages in the fridge, however upon check-in it can be arranged to stock up the fridge at a cost upon request. Please note however that we do have security on site in case of any emergencies.
The manager is deeply shocked by your allegations of him being ‘rude and sarcastic’ as at the time the manager was doing everything in his power to sort out your issues, however you and your daughter were not interested and you had already made up your mind about checking out of the hotel early.

Again, we are sorry that your expectations were not met.

We hope that we have clarified the above concerns.

Kind regards,

83 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
New York City
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Bottom Line: The resort is beautiful to look at, but underneath the surface, the hills are frustrating, the service is terrible, the beach/other restaurants are far away, and if you have any trouble, the management - at the highest levels - will treat you like you are the problem. STAY AWAY!

I have 15 reviews on TripAdvisor - all of them pretty positive - so I think I'm a pretty credible reviewer! This hotel was the worst place I have ever stayed, and I highly recommend against it. It literally ruined our stay in the Seychelles. The Le Meridien Babaron is the same price and much nicer (and actually on the beach!).

My mother and I have never left a hotel, and we had to leave this one half way through our stay. Here are our reasons:

First, it's on top of a mountain that is very difficult to climb without a car. I read that it was steep, but I didn't realize HOW steep until I got there. It's a no-go without a car.

Second, the resort is not beach front. The beach is at the bottom of the mountain and across the road. I\The resort has beautiful views but not easy accessibility to the beach.

Third, the driver who picked us up from the airport told us to get 500 rupees for the trip. I didn't have internet and couldn't calculate the exchange rate, but I trusted him. It turns out, 500 rupees is about $40, which is definitely not enough for three days. We ended up stuck with a taxi charge later on that we couldn't pay because we didn't have enough money, etc etc.

Fourth, once you're at the resort, you're stuck. The food at the restaurant was mediocre at best and insanely expensive (like $50 for a personal pizza and club sandwich). There is no ATM within walking distance nor any other restaurants. A cab to go 4 miles and back was $80.

Fifth, the resort itself is on a series of hills, so our room was up steep stairs from reception. The pool was up even further. To get wi-fi, which was not available in the rooms, the restaurant, or the pool, we had to go to the bottom of one of the hills and sit in an area tied to reception. This was the only spot for internet - you couldn't even pay to get it elsewhere.

Sixth, one evening, I wanted to take some medicine before bed, and you can't drink the local water. I went to the fridge, opened it, and... empty. Strange - where is water? I called reception (which miraculously picked up even though they were closed 15 mins before). The guy at reception told me the hotel did not provide water - even at a charge - when the restaurant was closed. He also said it was not common practice for hotels to have water in the room (a claim the manager repeated later). He suggested... and I'm not kidding... that I boil water on the stove, then put it in the fridge. I was paying $300+/night, and they wanted me to boil water to take medicine...!

Seventh, they had overbooked the hotel - even though just three days before I received an email saying it was fine. We were "upgraded" to a family room, but it didn't have a sea view like the room we had wanted. In addition, the "upgrade" wasn't for the entire time - they told us we would have to re-pack our bags and move the next day. When we came back the next day after diving (which was a bit earlier than we planned), they told us our new room wasn't ready. So even though we had paid for a room, we couldn't get in it.

This was our last straw. We were told we'd have to wait an hour to get in the room. We asked to speak to the manager. He showed up with his hand on his hip demanding to know "what our problem was." I told him I had a series of issues and started to explain why we were upset (particularly about our non-available room). He told us this was common practice worldwide - to move clients from one room to another (in my experience, not true). He also said that he had told the receptionist our room would be ready in 10 minutes. She confirmed - in front of him - that he had told her one hour. I called him out on the lie. He was very aggressive in his demeanor and rude. Shockingly rude, actually. I felt like Candid Camera! He refused to listen to more than 2 of my complaints before storming off.

We were booked for 2 more nights, which we had already been charged for. They agreed to refund us one night when we chose to leave to go to another hotel. As we were leaving, the receptionist called out to us and told us the manager (maybe the same guy? maybe not?) had agreed to refund both nights. I thanked them, and we left.

The hotel was NOT able to refund me directly on my credit card and had to get my bank details in order to process the refund. This was another hassle, but I provided the details. They said the refund would arrive within 1-2 weeks. After two weeks, I emailed them, and they had not yet even processed the refund and were now saying they had never promised to refund two nights. They refunded me only one night. The emails were written by a woman, Debby, who was not there for these events and was very rude via email. She accused me of "fabricating stories" and claimed the manager we had spoken to said I was lying. I pointed out that he had lied (about the hour v 10 min) previously and perhaps should not be trusted. I believe these two people are the owners. At no point during our email exchange did they inquire about what upset us in the first place. If I owned a hotel, I'd care less about the $$ and more about why I had two guests decide to leave my hotel mid-stay.

Bottom Line: The resort is beautiful to look at, but underneath the surface, the service is terrible, the beach/restaurants are far away, and if you have any trouble, the management will not care and may even accuse you of lying. I do not recommend the risk.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Elana,

It is unfortunate to read that your experience with us was not to your expectations. With regards to your comments, allow us to give you a reply:

Kindly note we offer a club car service for our guests to transport them around the hotel. We have always advertised that we are located on a hill and that we are not a beach front hotel. The closest beach is in fact about 5 minutes walk from the hotel and very accessible. Your comments are odd since all our guests are happy with the fact that the beach is just around the corner. We have recently constructed club car roads for the club car and this allows guests to easily walk on these roads instead of taking the steps.

The taxi who picked you up from the airport is a taxi service from the airport. Whatever the taxi told you is irrelevant to the hotel and he charges his own fees. Kindly note that the taxi fees advised by the taxi are not set up by the hotel. The taxi advising you that you only need 500 rupees must be his personal account but this seems quite odd as Seychelles is expensive and all taxis charge their own price. We are sorry that you could not pay a taxi fee later on in the evening, but surely it is better to ask what the fee is before taking a taxi.

The hotel is located in one of the most quietest part of Mahe Island, however there are many restaurants about 5 minutes drive by car or by bus, such as Opera, Anchor Cafe and Anse Soilel Cafe. There is a bus stop right outside the hotel that is very affordable (Sr. 5) compared to taking taxis. Our restaurant serves a range of different food at a reasonable price considering that it is inclusive of 15% VAT. There is in fact an ATM within walking distance, at the Baie Lazare petrol station, which is about a 5 minute walking distance. Again taxi prices are beyond our control.

Our Wifi is located in the lounge and reception areas at no charge 24/7. We believe that our internet service is very reasonable compared to other small hotels in the Seychelles who charge or limit the usage. Please bear in mind that setting up (especially in a hilly area) and running internet is very costly hence why we cannot offer internet in the whole hotel, however we are looking at setting up the WIFI service at the pool area. Note that local telecommunications companies do offer 3G packages that are available in the shops.

Upon checking in, we do show the clients the room features and amenities, including the fridge. As we are a self-catering hotel, we advise our guests to buy their goods from the nearby shops or from the hotel. Our reception and restaurant closes at 9:30pm earliest or once all guests on halfboard basis have finished dining. We do not open 24/7 as we are not a 5 star hotel, however we do have security on site after hours in case of emergencies.

We would like to mention that over-bookings do occur in the hotel industry. In this particular case, we upgraded the guests into a large 2 bedroom Family Villa. This villa did and does in fact have one of the most beautiful sea views. You were well aware that the upgrade would only be for the first night and that the following day you would be moved into your original villa and you accepted these terms. You were advised that your villa would be ready as soon as the previous guests had checked out and once the villa had been cleaned. Once you arrived after your dive, housekeeping was putting the final touches to the villa and the manager was overseeing that the villa was perfect, with complimentary fruit platter and a bottle of wine. Your villa was ready 15 minutes later but you refused to go into your villa and you were adamant to check-out.

The manager speaks to all his guests in a professional manner. He has had over 15 years of experience in running the hotel and he is in no way aggressive and rude. The manager did leave your side as you were busy on your mobile making plans to go to another hotel, hence he did not feel that you needed him for that.

We would never agree to a refund without written acknowledgement and we never promised a refund. Although you were fully aware that checking-out would be a full cancellation, the management agreed as a gesture to refund 1 night minus the restaurant bill that you refused to pay upon check out. Your banking details that you provided were incorrect hence you did not receive your refund in a timely manner.

We are sorry that you felt that you were not taken care of and that your expectations were not met. We have come a long way over the years for a small family run hotel and we believe that it is our professionalism and the service we deliver to our guests that have taken us to where we are today.

Kind Regards,

Bangalore, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We were there on our honeymoon 2010 Dec, for a week. First what all is nearby .. the beach by, football ground (where you find sunday afternoon cricket), small store where you can buy biscuits to airtel sim-card, car lease and bus stop. Yet its quiet and far away from the main city.
The rooms are good and spacious, nice bed, tables. nice swimming pool, nice breakfast (amazing fresh fruits) and we were accommodated well by the chef (we are pure vegetarians). We were served Pasta, rice and curry and it all tasted really good. To go to the main city, one can either take bus or we preferred hiring a car and driving around, ultimately dropping the car at airport. Great memories from there. Anytime in the morning I have a good vanilla-tea I close my eyes and I find myself there.
The staff is good, very helpful. One can also book excursions (half day or full day) from the hotel only.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We stayed at the Valmer Resort for 4 nights in a Deluxe Villa with amazing view over the sea. The room was very clean and nicely decorated and had all we could wish for, AC, Kitchen, TV and a huge bathroom. The hotel itself is located on a hill, I therefore recommend you rent a car during your stay, as its quite a steep walk up. The hotel restaurant offered a great choice of food for breakfast and is located at the top of the hill right next to the pool. Their infinity pool was definitely the highlight of our stay - this view... incredible. Try it at sunset ;) Their employees were taking good care of us and even prepared breakfast in our room when we had to leave at 5 in the morning to catch our flight back. We can highly recommend to visit this place, as it was an unforgettable and affordable experience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Bernice D, Guest Relations Manager at Valmer Resort, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Simi,

Greetings from Valmer Resort! Thank you for your lovely review of our hotel!
We are delighted that you had an unforgettable stay with us and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future!

Kind regards,
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

We stayed at Valmer Resort for a week for our 10th wedding anniversary and didn't regret it at all. We went in February so nice and quiet, with the idyllic beach just a 5 minute walk away there were only a handful of people on it at any one time. Such friendly locals and the kids were cute. The hotel had been recently renovated so in pretty good shape, we had a deluxe bungalow which I would recommend. It had a kitchenette which was good for when you fancy a lunchtime in (shops only 10 mins away). The food was quite good (quite pricey but most things in the Seychelles are). Beautifully situated on the side of a hill built to incorporate the volcanic rocks already there, this does mean that there's a steep walk up to the various parts of the complex but it didn't bother us. The staff were really friendly and helpful. A car for 2 or 3 days is maybe worth it but the bus is an experience too, goes all the way to Victoria and another goes down the coast. Would highly recommend for a relaxing away from it experience. I'll always remember looking out to sea from the infinity pool.

Room Tip: Deluxe bungalow's seem best.