Good things first--the owners are very nice and breakfast is delicious (omelet, fresh fruit, juice, local tea and so on). We were met at the airport for transfer and met with a cold beer on our arrival at the hotel (which is really basically a B&B...). The view is beautiful and the beach is nice. All this was fine.
1) the house is up a fairly steep hill (and a scary driveway) from the beach. When I say the house, I mean the one we stayed in, which was the older, secondary hotel building with two suites (more on that later). The other rooms were up another small hill and the main house was up another more considerable hill. None of this was clear from any previous reviews or comments so now it is!
2) Partly due to the hill and partly due to the hotel's placement on the island, there is basically nothing walkable from the hotel. You're going to need a car if you plan on eating or seeing anything other than the hotel grounds and the nearby beach (which do not have food). Again, would have been nice to know ahead of time.
3) Although the info on the hotel says it has wifi, this is only in the main lodge currently.
4) Same goes for the TV, which is a related issue.
5) Due to an abnormally dry season, there is not enough water pressure to get the water to the rooftop heater in the lower building, meaning cold showers. Also, the hot tub was empty.
6) We were placed in the lower building. Compared to the very new, larger and well-appointed upper building, we felt a little cheated. That what seemed to be better rooms were taken by the owners' family was also slightly irritating. Possibly we paid less? I don't know because no other option was available to us.
7) We were told to let the hosts know at breakfast if we would want them to cook us dinner one night. The one day we asked, they had already made plans for the night. The next morning (last day of our trip) they offered to make us lunch, but to be honest we were just done with the place by then.
We were left feeling like we could have paid considerably less for the same lackluster experience in a better location.
book a car ahead of time, bring a book and a sense of humor and plan on stocking up or eating out for every meal. If you love being right on the beach or can't drive on the left side of the road, this is probably not the place for you.
If you speak French, I'm sure your stay here would be better than ours.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia and Hotels.com so you can book your Demeure de Cap Macon reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Demeure De Cap Macon Seychelles/Mahe Island