“Would not recommend this place!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Albizia Lodge Green Estate

You added Albizia Lodge Green Estate to your Saves list
Albizia Lodge Green Estate
2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Aux Cap | Green Estate, Mahe Island 922, Seychelles   |
Ranked #22 of 40 Mahe Island B&B and Inns
Helsinki, Finland
“Would not recommend this place!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

The hotel was located too far from the main road and it was super expensive to take a taxi and even more expensive to ask the lodge staff to take you to a beach or where ever you wanted to go. They even told us a different price before taking us and doubled it when it was time to pay!! It would have also been difficult to go to a restaurant for dinner, so we had an expensive dinner at the lodge and the food was not even near worth it. Luckily we only spent two nights in the lodge and had already seen everything we wanted to see in Seychelles. It would have been a waste of time and money to stay there longer. The staff was helpful but only if you paid enough. But this wasn't their fault, since they were asking everything from the manager before they could ansver anything. The rooms were nice and clean and the pool was ok. Still wouldn't recommend this place since Seychelles is full of guest houses in better places. With the price of taxis, dinner and beverages even a resort will be almost the same price!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

I hate commercial advertisements. But to express my sincerely gratitude to the staff of Albizia Lodge for unforgettable fortnight with my wife on Mahe I should “put the lid on my own desires” [frankly speaking the corresponding Russian proverb seems to be more vivid: "наступить на горло собственной песне” = “to tread on own song’s throat”]. I should also confess that on no account I can be considered as a hotel expert – nylon roof of a tent in a field camp was always enough for me. Testimonies from other people's words are not taken into account in normal jurisprudence and have to be omitted according to attorney Perry Mason (E.S. Gardner). I mean my wife’s positive opinion despite she is already slightly spoiled by “all inclusive” hotels of Sharm el-Sheikh and Antalia. Thus, only my common sense can save me. Let’s try…
Initially our “voyage” should fulfill two different conditions – to bring at least some pleasure for my dear wife who is quite loyal to seaside exotics of typical resorts and do not especially harm me, a rather strange person who was never able to bear any noisy human crowd, especially idle, bare and sweaty. To my surprise these incompatible wishes were really realized with a help of Seychelles and Albizia Lodge. Mahe Island did not especially change since the 30 of July, 1984 when I’ve seen it for the first time from the board of the soviet scientific ship “Academician Vinogradoff”. The same forested mountains often covered by heavy clouds, almost deserted sandy beaches with quaint granite outcrops protected from ocean by beautiful coral reefs, and calm but vivacious Creoles. A small hotel on a hill slope could only increase this illusion of returning to my youth and due to kindness of its staff we found ourselves in comfortable and family atmosphere, being always fill up and satisfied.
Before the trip we were told about a “very steep slope, which makes a hotel inaccessible even for a car”. Among the reviews on this very site there are also a good number of words about “remoteness of Albizia Lodge from a seaside and about its inaccessibility”. Don’t know, maybe I am slightly mad, but in my view, relative remoteness of Albizia from the main tourist infrastructure of the Island is one of its undoubted advantage (in fact, there are only about 800 m to the nearest beach, and less than 20 m of a really steep slope which is however up even for such an old wreck as me). Moreover, I am sure that it would be just awful for Seychelles attractiveness if the country transmutes one day in future into so called “real tourist paradise” as it already happened with Turkey. To our luck for Seychelles it is not a reality yet.
OK! I am finishing. Many thanks again to all and personally to Jennifer, Rebecca and Mathew…

P.S. I am sorry for delay with my review but busy days in snowy Moscow are a good price for lazy weeks on Seychelles. Taking the opportunity to express my sincerely Season Greetings: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of you.
P.P.S. See also http://cetate.livejournal.com/ for some pictures. Text is in Russian, sorry.

Anatoly, Moscow, Russia

Room Tip: Все шесть номеров этого отеля примерно равнозначны, но наш (1) конечно был лучшим: второй этаж, полн...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Weimar, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We were twice in the lodge. The first few days after arrival and the last holiday for the departure. The staff is very friendly and helpful. On the last evening, a great fish BBQ organised the Manager of Jenfier for us. The hotel is very nice quiet location with great views of the rainforest and the ocean. The ascent to the lodge is to foot very difficult, but worth it. The rooms are clean and with air-conditioned. We would again like to come.

Room Tip: If it is possible, take a room no. 1-4
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
San Diego
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

NO! Absolutely not. First the good news. It is an attractive facility with a nice view of the forest and, in the distance, the ocean. The staff is friendly and helpful with one exception, the manager Jennifer Sam. A big problem is the location. It is far inland and located at the top of a very steep hill. Walking to and from the beach is not an option because of the distance and the very steep climb. So steep that when we briefly had a rental car, it could not make it up the hill.
It is located in the southern part of the island, far from the restaurants, shopping, and tourist attractions in or near the capital Victoria. The roads in the south are more dangerous than those in the north. They are narrow, winding, and often full of pedestrians. In most places, instead of shoulders or curbs, there are steep, dangerous drop-offs. There is also a general absence of signs giving street and road names which makes finding the remote Albizia nearly impossible without help from someone who knows the way.
There are at least two neighboring dogs that bark loudly and often, especially in the early morning. I got up early twice because it was impossible to sleep. There is also a general indifference to maintenance. Our bathroom door squeaked badly. We asked them to lubricate the hinges. They said they would but never did. They have a perfectly good pool table that was missing five balls when we arrived. They said they would look for them, but when we left days later, they were still missing.
Albizia Lodge is a small facility with seven rooms for guests. As such, you would expect the manager to be actively involved in making sure the guests were comfortable and happy. Not so. She never introduced herself, and to this day, my wife doesn’t even know what she looks like. Our first morning, Jennifer, without introducing herself, bawled me out for damaging her relationship with a car rental company. (Jennifer had arranged a rental car for us, but it was a disaster through no fault of ours.) The only other time I saw her was when she called a taxi for me later that day. Even when we checked out days later, final payment was handled by an employee who went back and forth between Jennifer “in her room” and us on the front porch waiting to go to the airport.
Albizia has a harsh cancellation policy. If you cancel within 18 days of your booking, you have to pay 100% of the booking cost. In other words, just as much as if you had stayed there. When we were forced to leave a day early because of a flight cancellation, I was presented with a bill from the manager that included the day we could not be there. I was unable to discuss this with her because she was “in her room.”

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We stayed overnight at the Albizia lodge on mahe en route from Farquhar island to joburg ......the taxi fare to the lodge via arranged pickup was 20 euro ...35 dollars.....it being a bit away from the airport. The rooms were spacious and neat air conditioned with a balcony .....no tv and a partially broken bed were my only complaints. Breakfast was interesting ......never seen smiley's before ! Supper was offered and discount vouchers to a local restaurant were issued.....
The staff....jennifer.....was most helpfully and obliging .....even brought us beers in the pool at 10 at night ! Allen Esparon is the guy for the taxi...002482714890

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We stayed at the lodge for our entire 3 day visit to Seychelles & it was cherished memory
As you arrive your first view will be that of a massive beautiful beach which can be viewed from all the 7 room balcony.
And need not worry about anything you need once you are the lodge, the Manager, Jennifer Sam & the caretakers over there look to everything you need to make your stay comfortable from picking you from the Airport till you checkout. We stayed in Room 3, where we could catch the wireless net access ( but make sure to sit on the small bed kept in the room to get this Wi-Fi signal )
Regarding the breakfast it consists of
Tea/ Coffee and Fresh Juice,fresh fruit plate, pancakes/ potato smileys or veg of the day
Toast,Butter, assorted jam,Eggs on request, omelet/ sunny side up/Scrambled/ boiled
Breakfast in the room is possible for early departures/ early birds
But eggs are not served before 7AM
I would suggest taking your tour with the taxi guy named Allan, a local taxi person who knows everything on this small island. Taxis are very expensive, but worth if Allan is your chauffeur, you will not regret paying the high price.

I will recommend Albizia lodge to anyone looking for a quiet, serene & relaxing stay to escape all the hustle-bustle that comes with city life.
We dint have dinner at the lodge but at breakfast we asked few other visitors who said dinner was good & cooked in the Creole way.

Room Tip: Try & get Room 3
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
ALBIZALODGE, Manager at Albizia Lodge Green Estate, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your kind words and wonderful review, we, ' the Albizia Lodge Team' appreciate it very much and are happy that you have enjoyed your stay with us!

Greetings from paradise...
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

We arrived on Mahe at night and were using a car rental to find the Albizia. That was the first challenge. If it were light out, we may have had better luck seeing the signs and known to keep going up the very narrow road into what seemed like the abyss to us at the time. Needless to say, were very happy once we did find the place and even happier when we woke up the next morning to stunning views of the ocean from mountainside on which the lodge is perched. We were treated to wonderful breakfasts every morning with fresh fruit and...to be honest the rest seems unimportant because the fruit was so good (although I think we usually got some eggs and bread...I remember it seeming like the food just didn't stop coming out).

It did seem like they were in the process of expanding. The pool had just been put in, but wasn't quite swimmable until the end of our stay. We did have some minor plumbing issues, but the owners were kind enough to treat us to a bottle of wine and dinner at a restaurant in Victoria that turned out to be phenomenal. Aside from that, we did end up having to wait for around half an hour to check out, but I'll attribute that to there only really being one person there running the property (but plan accordingly if you have a plane to catch).

The location is a blessing and a curse. The view is great, but we did have to drive to go anywhere. We found that we spent a bulk of our time around Beau Vallon and if were staying there, we could have probably just taken the bus any time we needed to go anywhere, but then again, if we did that we would have missed out on the great views and value.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Albizia Lodge Green Estate? Share your experiences!