“Everything you need” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 36 Hotels in Tiberias
Bloemfontein, South Africa
“Everything you need”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

This hotel is great value for money. Traveling is Israel is quite expensive and we had to look for budget hotels. This hotel was one of the more realistically priced hotels and I am happy to report that we enjoyed our stay here. The hotel offers everything one might need, including hairdryers so I would gladly recommend this hotel to anyone. I am grateful that we decided on this hotel as anything more expensive would have been a waste of money.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Polish first
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Hard to beat.. You really feel like you are the King of the World for a few days.
If Tiberias is your destination, Astoria is your place to be.

Every single person on the staff was phenomenal. The bell hop, was absolutely amazing as well as the front office staff and the hotel manager.

The room was cleaned and attended to punctually every day, and like many hotels, it just worked. I've been in better and more modern rooms, but there's more to a hotel than up to the minute furniture.

This is my third time with my family @ Astoria I won't think twice before I pick it again.

Room Tip: Pick the top floor for best view to the Sea of Galilee
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We stay in Astoria for a week. We have very nice and clean room, coffee and tea inside. Free wifi connection everywhere and its unusual for hotels in Israel, actually regular you pay an additional charge.
We eat only breakfast and shabbat dinner, it's very nice. Not something special but tasty.
Personal very nice and friendly, especially Yael the receptionist. One time we have spoke with Avi, the manager, he is very friendly and want to help.
Thank you Astoria, we will come back.

Tip: ask for renovated room 8)

• Stayed November 2012
Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I was part of a group of 33 who stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in mid-November 2012. I was somewhat apprehensive as I had read reviews on trip advisor that were less than flattering. I expressed my concern to our group leader who received assurances from the trip organiser that it had undergone significant refurbishment. On the basis of my 3 nights it has some way to go, and my fears were realised. Although our room was OKish - compared to other members of the group who were infested with cockroaches and had to move due to very poor quality – we had nowhere for our clothes (4 coat hangers and no drawers) so we lived out of our cases, had no hot water for 2 days, had small beds (width and length). The food was Ok in quality but the choice was poor, especially at breakfast where I was limited to bread and marmalade – I like my cold meats on foreign holidays. The staff was not friendly at all. The hotel claims that it is a short walking distance from the city's centre and the Sea of Galilee – not so, it is at the top of a steep hill and taxis are required.

Room Tip: don't go there
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

I bring groups and families to the Astoria all the time..the rooms are clean and comfortable, the staff are very friendly and the food is great! (Didn't see other hotels which bake a pizza specially for me..) there are some large groups there but nothing to worry about. Location is great! Very safe and lots of transportation options.

• Stayed October 2012
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Stayed at this hotel Nov 9 - Nov 12 2012.

Part of a group of 33 and the majority experienced cramped rooms, views of hotel walls, poorly equipped bathrooms (faulty shower heads). Others were even less fortunate and had cockroaches in their rooms.

Reception staff were distant and unhelpful. Manager(s) of dining area were distant and unfriendly. However two young Eastern European waitresses brought a ray of sunshine to the dining room.

Had noticed other TA reviews regarding staff attitudes to access to hotel pool. We were even less fortunate- we were not allowed to access area to view pool. Maybe there is no pool!

One plus the food was good quality and the bar man was hospitable and new the meaning of the term "customer service"

Room Tip: Apparently there were larger rooms with views of the sea and some of our group were allocated those...
Greenock, Scotland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I have just returned from a trip to Israel as part of a group of 33. We stayed in the Astoria for the last three nights on a B&B plus evening meal basis. My own room was small; windows were ill fitting and did not exclude traffic noise; beds were very low and small. Ladies in the group observed that cleaning had obviously been done by men! Food was quite good in terms of choice, quantity and quality, and waitresses smiled! Several of our party had to change rooms due to complaints about size and cleanliness. One lady caught a cockroach (one of several in her room) in a glass and brought it down to reception to demand a change of room. In general the hotel is down at heel and not well placed for access to the town centre. I have used much better 3 star hotels in Tiberias and would not willingly return to the Astoria!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Astoria Galilee Hotel - Tiberias? Share your experiences!