“Best hotel on our trip” 3 of 5 stars

Royal Plaza
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Ganei Menorah Blvd, Tiberias 14100, Israel   |
Ranked #17 of 36 Hotels in Tiberias
Thunder Bay, Canada
“Best hotel on our trip”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2008

Little did I realize that this would be the best hotel on my tour of Israel. At the time I was staying here, I would have said that this hotel was an average hotel. But, in comparisson with the others chosen by the tour operator, this was the best. Unfortunately, the hotel is not close to anything else. After your day of touring you can't walk out and explore the city of Tiberias. One evening our group did sit next to a group from Croatia and a spontanious "song fest" erupted on the patio. That was a lovely experience of cultural sharing and a very memorable happening.

The hotel is not in Tiberias proper, but across the road from the Sea of Galilee. I could see the Sea from my room and it was a lovely site in the mornings. The room had two walls of windows and a tile floor. This was an unusual room because the other rooms on our floor had carpet and were much smaller. The room was adequate for my needs but my impression is that the hotel could use a face lift. The bathroom was ok, but as in all the hotels I stayed in while on the tour, the towels were thin by North American standards.

Service on the other hand was very good. I had a birthday while staying here and the hotel provided us with a cake for 51 people (the tour size) ...pretty nice. The staff in the dining room were friendly and efficient. The food was the best that we had in any of the hotels we stayed in...but, that's not saying a whole lot. Breakfasts were good and varied. They even served Blintzes as a breakfast option as well as pancakes or french toast. They also had someone cooking omelets and fried eggs (this did not happen in any of the other hotels). I am a "breakfast food" person, so the salads and other foods that I consider to be for other meals did not interest me. The best place to sit in the dining area is in the sunroom - if you can - that's where they assigned our tour group - lucky us.

In retrospect, although I may not have chosen this hotel had I been given the choice, I had a nice stay there.

• Liked — the friendly staff
  • Disliked — the distance into town
  • Stayed March 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
San Jose
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2008

The only people that stay here are on tour groups. The dinner hour is very busy and loud. There is nothing miserable about this place, but I wouldn't choose it with other options around. It does have internet which all the hotels over there don't.

Stayed March 2008
Wilmington, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2007

I am a tour host and I have stayed in this hotel in 1998, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006 as part of tour groups. While it is not aesthetically as pleasing as staying elsewhere, the food is absolutely wonderful. The dining experience is well above average - at least a five - and far better than any other hotels I have stayed at in Tiberias or Jerusalem. The hotel staff has "bent over backwards" to assist me and my passengers. They are warm and accomodating. Don't sell this place short!

Lexington, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2007

I recently stayed at the Royal Plaza as part of a tour group. The hotel was okay, although as the previous poster noted, it could use some refurbishing. The major problem is no air conditioning, which was an issue even in February. The fan only works with the heat, so you have to open a window or it is very stuffy. The staff seemed nice enough.

• Stayed February 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2005

I recently stayed at this hotel as part of a group package. The hotel is located a few steps from the sea of Galilee. The location seems pretty safe, we walked one night to the shores to pray and there were no problems. The room was small, the towels were thin, tiny soap provided. There was no clock in the bedroom and setting the wake up call was challenging. The room was clean enough. I did not have a view. Many of the hotel staff did not speak English, so communication was a problem at times. The most positive experience was dinner and breakfast. The hotel restaurant offered a great buffet with a variety of meat and vegetables dishes, (eggplant, etc.) Great breakfast too. Phone calls to the US were very expensive. This hotel is pretty popular with groups. We saw many groups coming in and going out.

• Stayed November 2005

Been to Royal Plaza? Share your experiences!