TRAVEL ALERT: SAFETY AND SECURITY CONCERNS More info

London, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
“This is the Holy Land!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

I went with a group of friends on this spontaneous hike - we started at the top of the Wadi and walked back in to Jericho. The hike was fairly easy and we stopped at the beautiful Greek monastery on the way down (although the Greek monk there was not so friendly!). We headed down just before the sun was going down so the light was beautiful, especially as we got nearer to Jericho and the clouds turned all pink over the Jordan Valley and the evening call to prayer began from the mosque minarets - truly beautiful and atmospheric.

I would highly recommend doing this walk at sunrise or sunset to avoid the blistering heat of the Jordan Valley.

Visited September 2011

Lynnfield, Massachusetts
12 attraction reviews
“A long way for a little adventure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

So I traveled 28 hours to get here, not here really, but eventually the very first thing I did was come for a walk here, the easy way which is down the path to the Wadi. Since it's spring, the water was gushing rapidly. One can see possibilities of white water rafting, except it doesn't last...getting weaker and weaker until there is no more water during the arid months. The monastery is worth a tour and can give one a thrill of adventure in seeing how others live, in this case, the monks. There are juice and camel/donkey vendors/renters along the way. One could easily get wilder by taking a camel or donkey as you drink your freshly squeezed orange juice. Just another day in your life of wonders. Best to go when there are less people (very early AM) as you can feel the awe of the land and the possibilities of communing with higher powers that be. Let the experience be memorable, not one vying for space and time with other travelers.

Brooklyn, NY
“For the hiking enthusiast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012 via mobile

Wadi Qelt has some biblical and historical significance but I quickly forgot what it was as this was a hike that was truly physically demanding.
My group started out with adults and children aged 9-17 and we hiked for about an 1-1 1/2 hours. We saw beautiful hills, mountains, cliffs and waterfalls whose pools you can swim in. At the end of this time the younger children left us (9-12 yr olds) as the hike gets more physically demanding after that point. It helps if you are in good shape and are prepared with proper waterproof hiking shoes. The rest of the hike takes about 3 hours. Be prepared for winding paths, narrow cliffs, climbing up and down and crossing streams. Although you could try to do this alone I don't recommend it. The paths are only marked by some paint on small rocks, better to go with a guide familiar with the hike. All in all, it was a truly an experience I'll never forget and I felt I really accomplished something.
Don't forget: a swimsuit, sunblock, bug spray, waterproof hiking shoes, camera, water, lunch and snacks (no concession stands on the mountains!)