“Tasty food in a nice atmosphere” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Irvine, CA
“Tasty food in a nice atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

The restaurant is very nicely decorated, and we were lucky enough to be here when the Christmas decorations were up, too. Service was reasonably quick and friendly. The food was very good and arrived quickly. Really our only complaint would be that the busboy should not wear a tee shirt with a disturbing political message.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Siloam Springs, Arkansas
“Not up to snuff”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We ate in La Fonda last evening and were greatly disappointing. My first disappointment was that they did not serve beer. A big Mexican restaurant should serve beer in my opinion. My second disappointment was the not clean enough bathroom. If I had not been with a group I would have left at the point. instead I chose to order food that I knew needed to be served hot so I felt safe from contaminants. My husband has had an upset stomach all morning and I fear he may have gotten something not quite fresh.The service was slow and after the check came we were abandoned. The waitress never said we were to pay at the front but when we finally gave up on her coming back for the money we worked our way out and paid at the front desk. Of all the eight meals eaten at our table the only item that got high marks was the fried Sopapillas ordered for desert. La Fonda, You need to try harder.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Not what's expected from authentic New Mexican food.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

La Fonda's atmosphere is inviting and clean for the most part (aside from the bathroom, which is not super clean and was outta soap on my visit). After being seated we waited almost 10 minutes for someone to come wait on us. She was friendly, but did not come with the chips and salsa we had seen on every other table. We ordered our drinks and food together. My husband went with the stuffed sopapilla and I decided to sample a little bit of everything with a combo plate that consisted of a taco, enchilada, and relleno. I should have stuck with the taco plate. My taco was good. The red chile on the enchilada was worst red chile I had ever had and the relleno was stuffed with cheese whiz and smothered in velveta style cheese. Living in New Mexico my whole life, this is not what we have come to expect from Mexican food. This time we were just passing through Artesia, but if we ever find ourselves here again, La Fonda will not even be an option. I'd opt for a chimichanga from Allsups first.

• 2 of 5 stars Food
Houston, TX
“Family Mexican Restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

I have to confess I am off of most Mexican food anymore. Had the cheese enchilatas. OK. Prices are very reasonable and service is excellent. No beer or wine.

Visited August 2012
Thornton, Colorado
“good food & service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

The food here is good but not outstanding. The service was good also. There are few Mexican Restaurants that I would consider above average so this one is about average. Any thing is better than Taco Bell

• Visited August 2012