“Amazing Suprise” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #14 of 49 Restaurants in Jaffa
Cuisines: Greek, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: Kalimera is a restaurant situated in one of the most beautiful locations in the world - Jaffa harbor - one of the most ancient in the universe. From one side of the restaurant there is a view of the Old City of Jaffa, and spread out on the other side is the Mediterranean. "Kalimera uses table ware from Vietnam, colors from Greece, the products are from the Far and Near East, and the cuisine is Israeli, talented and full of passion.
“Amazing Suprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I was wandering around the Jaffa port with friends, looking at different art exhibitions, when we stumbled across a cute restaurant called Kalimera. The menu looked nice, and the hostess explained that there are special fish and meat dishes that don’t appear on the menu, so we decided to take a chance. Well I must say I am happy I took the chance! I haven’t had such a lovely experience in a long time!
The food was exquisite and unique. We did as the waiter advised and shared a few dishes between us. I fell in love with the dish called “Kalimera” , squid a la plancha in special eggplant and “labane” (a mid-eastern low fat sour creamy cheese). The tempura shrimp were really good and the unique sauce made it worth coming back for. My friend that doesn’t eat seafood ordered a dish called “Karla” which is Chicken baked in yogurt tomato sauce. I tried the dish and couldn’t believe that I could like chicken so much. I will definitely order this dish next time. It is served in a really inviting manner, with tortillas and vegetables. Yummi!
The service was courteous and fast, the prices good, and the dishes came out at a very appropriate manner, so I didn’t find myself eating chicken and squid together. The desserts are also good. I asked about dishes that are appropriate for people with Celiac (sensitivity to gluten) because I wanted to bring my family, and my niece has celiac. Very quickly I received a list of different dishes that she can eat. I was very impressed about the restaurant’s sensitivity to this issue. So, yes! I will go back!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Surprisingly good seafood restaurant tucked away on the Jaffa Port”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Don't be put off by the slightly stark appearence, the quality of the food is a welcome surprise after the mediocrity of some of the restaurants that have sprung up around the newly renovated Jaffa Port.

Tel Aviv, Israel
“Mediocre, poor service overshadows food was otherwise tasty and interesting.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

I had red some favorable reviews on the local press, and one of my favorite foods (Octopus) was on the menu, I decided to reserve tables for our wedding anniversary. I called them on Thursday and made a reservation for Friday 19:00.

On arrival, I mentioned that we had reservations, but they were unable to find it. This was not a problem, as the restaurant was largely empty, but had it been otherwise, it would have been extremely disappointing to reserve place and find that nobody took care of reservation, and look for another restaurant.

Waiters appeared to be out of sync with each other, two of them came one after the other telling us about the night's specials, each of them telling us about separate dishes. They were not very helpful, I had to call them a couple of times to ask about a never arriving 2nd drink.

The first drink ordered, a bottle of cava was delivered with the wrong type of cava. We requested them to change the bottle, but then we received extra billing for a glass, this was corrected.

We had 4 dishes, portions are small and with a share concept: Calamari, Octopus and scallops among others. A bit on the pricey side, but tasty indeed.

In the end, requesting the bill was also difficult, waiters did not seem to pay attention to customers, so I asked the hostess to for the bill: "She asked me to call the waiters - To which I pointed at the fact that I can't get their attention!!!"

Apparently they did notice some wrong doing on their side, as we were offered and on the house dessert. One of the waiters came and said:
-"Compensation!"
-For what?- We asked. The waiter left, and came back, this time saying: Something like "Complements" (In hebrew, "pinuk", literarily, "spoilling/pampering")

One last thing: The place does not have their own rest rooms, and the public ones are not recomended.

COROLLARY: If you notice your service isn't good, admit it. Giving free goodies isn't enough!

Tel-Aviv
“Good Food, Bad Service, NO RESTROOM”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Restaurant is located in the newly gentrified Jaffa Port. The location is great. Plenty of parking, sea air... nice.

The food is good, the service is bad and the restaurant doesn't have it's own restroom. Yes, yes, you have to use a public restroom.

1. We reserved a table for 7pm. The hostess couldn't find our reservation. Luckily the restaurant was empty, so no problem. But if the restaurant had been full... I probably wouldn't have been writing this review at all.
2. We asked for a bottle of Rose lambrusco. A bottle of red lambrusco arrived, and the waiter began to pour. I stopped him and said, this is red not rose. He apologized, left the half filled glass on the table and went to get a rose bottle. They didn't have any so he suggested cava instead. No problem.
3. Same waiter came by to tell us what the specials are. He mentioned one special
4. Another waiter came by to tell us what the specials are. Apparently there were two.
5. Food arrived, was very very good. We had octopus, squid, scallops and moules.
6. Asked for a coke. This took 10 minutes. Despite the fact we were right next to the bar
7. A waiter came over to our table with a dessert in hand and ASKED us whether we deserve a
compensation. HUH? How should we know?
8. Same waiter came by again and gave us the dessert. Called it a "treat"
9. Bill arrived - bill contained our cava and a glass of red lambrusco....
10. Bill fixed. Paid and we left
11. Looked for the restroom... NO RESTROOM in the restaurant. Restroom is a shared public restroom. Needless to say, when eating at a restaurant, I don't want to visit a public restroom. Which of course wasn't clean.

Israel
“Best seafood and fairly priced”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Best seafood I've eaten lately and very smartly cooked. The thing here is small dishes but fairly priced and without division to first and second course. So you simply choose that many that you can handle and enjoy. Place is very small inside but have quite big outside sitting area. Nice wine selection by glass. Place is located in old Jaffa port, so you can combine eating with walking through old city.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere