“Service is poor, overall not recommended” 2 of 5 stars

You added Ein Gedi Resort Hotel to your Saves list
Ein Gedi Resort Hotel
Kibbutz Ein Gedi, Ein Gedi 86980, Israel   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Ein Gedi
“Service is poor, overall not recommended”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

We stayed st the mini suite for two nights. First when arrive we found a rat in our room and some trash. The rooms cleaning is terrible.
Afterward we went to the lobby bar and order some pizza with union, mushroom and toast. the cooker confused with our order and prepared pizza with no extra top. Not only that
waiter did ask us if we do not mind replacing our order - service is poor.
If you do not have to DO NOT SPEND YOUR VACATION AT EIN-GEDI HOTEL.

• Stayed September 2013

165 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Israel
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Please let me first acknowledge what IS good about this hotel -- BEAUTIFUL setting, amazing botanical gardens, fantastic spa and decent food.
I had a pleasant 2 days there with my family THANKS to my wonderful kids and NO thanks to this 'hotel'. I didn't want to upset my family, so didn't make too many scenes in front of them on our short holiday but did speak with reception, fill out a feedback form and run home to type this review so others may learn from my experience and avoid similar pitfalls.

As anyone can see who checks out the site, it is EXPENSIVE to stay here. OK, I bit that bullet and wrapped my head around the fact that I'd be paying for a lovely time.
Here's what prevented that:

1. One of the (waaaaay too many) cats running around the property BIT my grandson.
The place is over run with feral cats. I'd read about that before hand and figured "no big deal" (we are outdoorsy, country people and have dealt with rustic accommodations). However, I was not prepared for the fact that 5 or 6 cats at a time would rip into our bags of snacks by poolside, attack each other at our feet when my grandkids tried to eat lunch.
My 18 month old grandson was actually bitten by a cat. I phoned Reception to request some peroxide to pour over the wound and was told they only had iodine (we'd used some already). I asked for a doctor or nurse to have a look and was told tat costs 150 shekels. I asked them to just get me some peroxide from said nurse and bring it to our room. they never did that and never checked back with us at all.

2. My husband, 14 year old daughter and myself had a "SUPERIOR" room - the newest, most expensive which others here have recommended. To be fair, for a couple, it would be OK...however, the minute we were three people, I was told this was the only room option for us as it was the largest type room and could handle an extra bed. WELL! The extra bed was a metal fold out cot that was extremely narrow, none too long and, worst of all, harder than a rock and uncomfortable as could be. the first night my daughter and husband took turns trying to sleep on it. First thing in the morning we complained at the front desk and were told they would "check if there were other options". Sadly, they NEVER got back to us.

3. Our room wasn't cleaned. we returned after a day out to find that the shampoo and tea supplies had not been replenished. This meant we were lacking those basics. When I tried to call front desk (4 or 5 times!) at around 8 p.m. there was NO answer.

If this were a hostel or budget hotel I wouldn't have been too phased -- however, I have received FAR better service at hostels and this holiday was Paris HIlton prices, baby!

On our last morning, I went to speak with the front desk about these issues. I was told that my health insurance would cover doctor's care for the baby's cat bite. When I ointed out that i wasn't quibbling another fee so much as thier lack of concern for a child's well being and their lack of basic polite inquiry, the man by the desk made no reply.

Likewise the bed issue - I was told that "Usually people don't complain ; sometimes it happens and that is unfortunate" BUT they have no other kind of beds to add to these rooms.
Again, I pointed out that juts getting back to me to politely and apologetically inform me of that could have gone some of the way to easing my dissatisfaction.

I am sorry to have to say that the hotel seemed to not care at all about our safety, comfort or satisfaction.
Obviously, I will never give them my business again and hope that others who suffer such neglect will also make their voices heard....only then might something change there for the better.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Spent a few nights here during our month long trip in Israel. Accomodation was great. We had an Arugot room looking over the sort of canyon. These are newer rooms and well worth the extra $$. The food up at the dining room was pretty good. Buffet style. Quite expensive though!! A tour of the Botanical Gardens is an absolute must!!. It is amazing what they have achieved at this oasis in the desert.Try the very swishy spa. As nice as anywhere we have been in the world. Ein Gedi also has it's own facilities right at the sea edge 5 minutes down the road which is great. Floating in the Dead Sea is totally bizarre!! Masada, a half hour away, is of course a must. Also the David waterfalls nearby is really worth a visit.

Room Tip: Arugot rooms are best. Try get the upper level which has a much better view over the valley..
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Jerusalem
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Two of us shared a standard twin bed room for around $190, which included a really excellent evening meal and breakfast, as well as entrance to the Ein Gedi spa on the shores of the Dead Sea. The room was fine, the beds were comfortable and the bathroom was clean and fresh. The kibbutz gardens are well-kept and it was lovely to wander around after dinner, in the balmy evening air. The new facilities make for a very pleasant stay even in July - there is now a coffee shop serving lights meals in addition to the formal dining room, and also a spa on site. In less intense weather you can hike in Nachal David, but in July we preferred to head down to the sulphur pools, the sea, and the mud. A wonderful getaway from life in the city.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Jerusalem, Israel
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

The Ein Gedi Resort try to be an hotel. The room 213 is the badest room you can imagine in Israel. Dirty, old. Almost all the furnitures are broken. But the top of the top is the bathroom: just like in a bad hostel in a poor country.
Some of the rooms of the resort are modern but don't trust the internet site. If you are unlucky you can receive one of the old room but for the price of a four stars.
The TV didn't work at our arrival (it is a Leyland TV from another century), we dind't get towels...
After more than 20 years in tourism bussiness it's one of my badest experience.

Room Tip: For a cheaper price you can enjoy a good room in Massada or Ein Gedi hostels
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Allround good vacation.

The good: rooms in the new section are excellent, very sapcious and clean with both a big shower area and a bath. View from room is amazing if you like desert scenery.
The spa is very nice and wasn't very crowded, as couples with children rather go to the big outside pool.
Allthough it doesn't have it's own beach, you can get free tickets to the near by complex which has a beach and some hot pools and is located about 10 minutes drive (or by a free shuttle).
Gardens in the compound are very well kept, and add to that "oasis" feel of the place.

The bad: it is very hot outside and when i came back to the room, i had problem getting cold water in the shower. It took about 10 minutes of free running water (a big waste) to get to a temperture that is actually "warmish" rather than cold. So if you like a colder shower you might be a bit upset...
But my main problem was the food. The veriaty is good but the quality isn't . For the price of the evening dinner (130 NIS) you could eat a lot better, sadly not in this area.
Most of the food that was served was dried and felt like re heated leftovers. The rice was hard, and when i told the chef he just took all the rice out and replaced it (they did credit us for 1 meal). The morning after, the fresh oranges were bad and a had a very bad smell. Again i told the chef, who smelled it, said i was right and changed it. This sort of things shouldn't happen on this level of hotels. Unfortunally, there aren't any good food options in this area, so the next evening we went to the "Ein Bokek" area and had some sallads. Other than the hotels's main resteraunt, there is a bar which serves a very limited menu.

Room Tip: Try going for a room in the new section if available.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Neverland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

We stayed for 1 night in order to see the Dead Sea and Masada but wish we'd have stayed longer. Ein Gedi Resort is a destination in its own right and it would be well worth spending at least a few days there for the peace, the walks, the gardens, the spa, the 'Dead Sea' pool, and the stunning views of the Arugot Wadi.

We were in a Deluxe Plus room which was new, large, and although simply furnished, had everything that we needed including a large bathroom with separate bath and shower. We were on the first (top) floor with views of the Arugot Wadi from the room, the large, shaded balcony, and the picture window beside the bath!

We were on half-board which meant we ate in the communal dining room for breakfast and dinner (separate tables of different sizes for couples through to large families). The meals were spectacular as they were made from the freshest ingredients, presented well, and with wide choices available on an unlimited basis from an enormous buffet. I see some reviewers complaining that it wasn't cheap but for what you get, it really is good value.

We weren't there long enough to have a treatment at the spa but went there and enjoyed ourselves. Its not a 'beautiful people posing' sort of spa but one for real people to go and relax and have fun. Very friendly atmosphere.

All the staff we encountered at Ein Gedi were terrific and we'd go back again in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Deluxe Plus room on first (top) floor, facing Arugot Wadi for new, large room with stunning views
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Ein Gedi Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!