Please let me first acknowledge what IS good about this hotel -- BEAUTIFUL setting, amazing botanical gardens, fantastic spa and decent food.
I had a pleasant 2 days there with my family THANKS to my wonderful kids and NO thanks to this 'hotel'. I didn't want to upset my family, so didn't make too many scenes in front of them on our short holiday but did speak with reception, fill out a feedback form and run home to type this review so others may learn from my experience and avoid similar pitfalls.
As anyone can see who checks out the site, it is EXPENSIVE to stay here. OK, I bit that bullet and wrapped my head around the fact that I'd be paying for a lovely time.
Here's what prevented that:
1. One of the (waaaaay too many) cats running around the property BIT my grandson.
The place is over run with feral cats. I'd read about that before hand and figured "no big deal" (we are outdoorsy, country people and have dealt with rustic accommodations). However, I was not prepared for the fact that 5 or 6 cats at a time would rip into our bags of snacks by poolside, attack each other at our feet when my grandkids tried to eat lunch.
My 18 month old grandson was actually bitten by a cat. I phoned Reception to request some peroxide to pour over the wound and was told they only had iodine (we'd used some already). I asked for a doctor or nurse to have a look and was told tat costs 150 shekels. I asked them to just get me some peroxide from said nurse and bring it to our room. they never did that and never checked back with us at all.
2. My husband, 14 year old daughter and myself had a "SUPERIOR" room - the newest, most expensive which others here have recommended. To be fair, for a couple, it would be OK...however, the minute we were three people, I was told this was the only room option for us as it was the largest type room and could handle an extra bed. WELL! The extra bed was a metal fold out cot that was extremely narrow, none too long and, worst of all, harder than a rock and uncomfortable as could be. the first night my daughter and husband took turns trying to sleep on it. First thing in the morning we complained at the front desk and were told they would "check if there were other options". Sadly, they NEVER got back to us.
3. Our room wasn't cleaned. we returned after a day out to find that the shampoo and tea supplies had not been replenished. This meant we were lacking those basics. When I tried to call front desk (4 or 5 times!) at around 8 p.m. there was NO answer.
If this were a hostel or budget hotel I wouldn't have been too phased -- however, I have received FAR better service at hostels and this holiday was Paris HIlton prices, baby!
On our last morning, I went to speak with the front desk about these issues. I was told that my health insurance would cover doctor's care for the baby's cat bite. When I ointed out that i wasn't quibbling another fee so much as thier lack of concern for a child's well being and their lack of basic polite inquiry, the man by the desk made no reply.
Likewise the bed issue - I was told that "Usually people don't complain ; sometimes it happens and that is unfortunate" BUT they have no other kind of beds to add to these rooms.
Again, I pointed out that juts getting back to me to politely and apologetically inform me of that could have gone some of the way to easing my dissatisfaction.
I am sorry to have to say that the hotel seemed to not care at all about our safety, comfort or satisfaction.
Obviously, I will never give them my business again and hope that others who suffer such neglect will also make their voices heard....only then might something change there for the better.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your Ein Gedi Resort Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ein Gedi Hotel Dead Sea Region
- Hotel Ein Gedi