“At Best, Average” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 hotels in Beersheba
Herzlia, Israel
“At Best, Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I stayed at the Leonardo in Be'er Sheva this weekend for a large family event. The only positive thing I have to say about the hotel is its cleanliness and decor.

Besides that, even though our entire party was staying on the business floor, the service was terrible. To get them to pay attention to the fact that there were guests standing and waiting to check in, we practically had to yell. Additionally, we did not have working showers or toilets! The water ran boiling hot ONLY in the showers. The toilets did not flush. When we requested for someone to come up and fix the problems, they just never came up.

We ate all our meals in the hotel. Most of it was practically inedible. None of it was good. There was no breakfast and when we wanted a cup of instant coffee they made a big deal about getting it for us.

While they did seem to have recently redecorated most of the hotel, the ballroom in which our event was held was old and dirty looking. The curtaines were falling off the walls and the carpets were badly stained.

If you are staying for the weekend and hoping to use the pool, don't bother. It is too small for their number of guests. There was no space to move and trash everywhere.

I don't recommend staying there unless you are looking for a clean place to sleep and nothing more.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
FattalM, General Manager at Leonardo Hotel Negev, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Thank you for taking your valuable time to write your notes.
Our guests comments regarding the hotels efficiency is an important tool that enables us to continually improve and adjust our service to meet our guests’ needs.
Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience caused you during your staying in our hotel.
We were delighted to read that you enjoyed our cleanliness and decor.
We were sorry to read your lack of satisfaction from the room that you stayed in (toilets and showers),
from our breakfast and from the staff attitude. Our Moto is to host with love.
Udi Ashkenazi

127 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Korean first
North Yorkshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I stayed at the Leonardo on business and enjoyed a very pleasant stay while in Beersheba. The Leonardo is a big place and I gather it is a popular business hotel due to its size for the town. My booking was made on my behalf and it was my first time in Beersheba, so I didn't know what to expect. I arrived at the ungodly hour of 2.30am, and was greeted and served in a friendly and efficient manner, with my booking ready for my arrival.
I arrived on Shabbat so the hotel was very busy with large family groups. Aside from the communal areas of the hotel being very busy during the day, there was no disturbance from the large groups. I have to agree with Extasika's point about the cleaning staff - you certainly know they're there! Not that it was a problem as I was out early.
The bedrooms are spotless, and the only drawback to the communal areas is the dated decor, everything is clean and works. I didn't use the gym area so I couldn't comment on the services there. Wi-fi is available but costs extra.
The hotel bedrooms are smart and modern, with all the amenities you would expect. The dated public areas do not do justice to the bedroom decor. Breakfast was fine - not a massive array of food but everything you'd expect to see. I ate in the restaurant one evening, which was the eve of Yom Ha'Shoah, when all public places shut down. It was self-service, with a choice of hot and cold food, including vegetarian dishes.
I found the staff to be friendly and helpful, I don't speak Hebrew or Arabic and was aware of travelling off the tourist track, but I managed fine. If I find myself in Beersheba again, I'll be happy to stay at the Leonardo again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Leonardo Negev for 2 weeks in May 2013 with my brother, we had 2 separate rooms

Pros: Spotless rooms, good amenities (Pool, Gym, Spa) decent food, great design of rooms.

Cons: At check in, the receptionist said they don't have my reservation (heart attack for anyone who just flew for 12 hours to an unknown country)... After 5 minutes of "intensive" search my reservations are found... Right after I'm being asked to provide a credit card, to the question "what for?" I'm not being answered, but instead my card gets swiped for $2000+ because she "assumed" that the rooms were not paid for, thank God my card declined that charge on the spot, after i have finally cleared that its paid for, the hand raises again for a swipe machine, when I asked "why did you swipe it again?" i was told that it's for payment of the "gym/spa and other amenities" that I never intended to use in the first place. Never mind that, She tells me that the charge will be 500 shekels (security deposit in case of damage to the room that will be reimbursed if not used to pay for gym) , after I checked my mobile statement it turned out I was charged 500 dollars instead of shekels (Big Difference). At the time of this whole process I did not get a single question answered because all of the attention went to friends/coworkers/other people that were not on the line. One of the guests came up with a question regarding a wi-fi connection... She was rudely sent off to someone at the cafe, a minute later the lady returned saying that the cafe sent her back to reception, that process happened 3 times while I was checking in. Phones were ringing, they were answered in the rude manner, only because she made it so public to roll her eyes and the hang up loudly accompanied with Hebrew word "Dai"... Which I was later on told that it means "Enough Already!!!" as in "Enough of this ringing I'm not helping anyone??". That happened over 5 times during my check in. My overall check in time took 15-20 minutes. Not to mention that no one even welcomed me at the hotel upon entering with bags.
If you are a late sleeper, forget it,
you will be waken up by cleaning
staff that yell/communicate outside the door across the hallway. Even though they do a great job at cleaning, someone need to teach them a courtesy lesson. At the time of check out I get Same Receptionist as the one that checked me in, while I was waiting 15-20 minutes on the line because she was by herself at the reception (understandable), when it finally came to my turn she skips me and starts helping the gentleman behind me. When I mentioned to her that, "by the way I was here first!" she answered "Ok"... Like it's OK to do so.
Her name is "Shlomit".... If this is the girl that will be helping you, prepare to be terrorized and hate the fact that you chose this hotel to stay in. Also the shower runs either too hot or too cold, I've played with the handle back and forth during every time I showered. Stays warm for 2 minutes max then runs back to boiling hot or ice cold. Happy Staying!!!

• Stayed May 2013
FattalM, Guest Relations Manager at Leonardo Hotel Negev, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
Thank you for taking your valuable time to write your notes.
We were sorry to read your lack of satisfaction from the reception staff attitude. Our Moto is to host with love.
We were delighted to read that you enjoyed our Spotless rooms and our amenities (Pool, Gym, Spa, food and design).
Inbar Asor-Sabato
Jerusalem
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

In my opinion, this hotel has two different aspects, rooms and common areas. Rooms are quite large, pleasantly designed, spotlessly clean, with a modern bathroom, comfortable beds and all the amenities of a very good 4 star hotel. On the other hand, common areas are quite unpleasant, decorated in an office style, without the slightest aesthetic sensibility, especially so the dining room; they are also quite dirty, maybe because the hotel is a very large building, difficult to take care of. Reception staff was polite and efficient; dining room staff was polite but unprofessional. Breakfast needs to be improved, but is edible as it is. The hotel is located in an area that is far away from all the tourist attractions.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
FattalM, General Manager at Leonardo Hotel Negev, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
Dear Miriam,
Thank you for taking your valuable time to write your notes.
Your comments are very important to us and we will do our best to learn from them to improve.
We were delighted to read that you enjoyed our clean and designed rooms and that you saw our reception staff polite and efficient - We host with love !
Leonardo Hotel Negev underwent a series of renovations in the past and we intend to ensure the continued renovations in the future, in order to create satisfaction among our guests.
We will be more than happy to see you among our guests in the near future.
Again, thank you very much.

Udi Ashkenazi
Tel Aviv, Israel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We were there on a shabat with family, for one night.

Since we were invited on a "shabat bar-mitzva" along with 40 other guests, we did not expected much. Surprisingly, the hotel was just fine and more. The room was not very big but very clean, well decorated. The bed was comfortable. The meals were good and tasty- that was not a five star hotel choice, but then again, this is not a five star hotel. The staff was very friendly.

I have to add that we tried the pool- and it was very, very small, full of people, very crowded.

I don't know what was the cost for every room, but many people were invited and I guess this hotel offered a good price. This is not the kind of hotel I would go with my husband on vacation, but this is the kind of hotel you can have some good food, a clean roon and a good night sleep in, if you're in the city.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
FattalM, General Manager at Leonardo Hotel Negev, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Thank you for taking your valuable time to write your notes.
We were delighted to read that you enjoyed our hospitality at the hotel and our services.
Eitan Ochana
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

The Good - The rooms at the Leonard are relatively clean, very quiet, and the beds quite comfortable. Some of the pictures on the web make it look quite upscale. In fact, the lobby and bar area are quite nice but the room we had was extremely basic in its decor and furnishings. However, we did have three excellent nights sleep even though I had a cold and was up a couple of times at night with it and bit of jet lag. Because our room had three beds (one queen, two twins - must have been a junior suite) my wife slept on one of the twins and we both slept well. Our room was on the second floor and faced the inside courtyard where there is a pool. There are many activities, weddings, receptions, etc. at the pool with a loud speaker. The first night the mayor of Beer Sheva was hosting a dinner reception and we thought we won't be able to sleep until late. In fact, each night the parties wrapped up by 9 pm and it was blissfully quiet.

Just on the other side of the parking lot there is a little mall that has several very nice restaurants, including one bar/grill that had a wonder Ahmedinejad Soup! Just thing for my cold.

The Bad - I spent a long time trying to find online another hotel for comparison. There are none. If you are staying in Beer Sheva, this is the only hotel so they are not very motivated to make it a pleasant stay. The breakfast buffet was adequate but not up to international standards.

The Ugly - The key cards!!! Apparently to save money they keep reusing these so they don't hold their magnetization. Half the time you try to get into your room and you have to go back down to the lobby and wait in line to get a new key card. Worse, because of security (I assume) you cannot drive up to the lobby/parking lot or get out of the parking lot without a key card. When we first came in the gate was open but then couldn't get out. Imagine a line of taxis honking behind you and you have to run into the lobby to get a new key card. Same thing several times trying to get out of parking...

Israeli's are very warm and wonderful people, but not known for their warm and fuzzy customer service. The Leonardo, however, sets a new standard. The "bell hop" had zero interest in any of our problems and although a few of the understaffed and overworked desk clerks were nice, one was basically yelling at us that her job is tough and she doesn't have a single room free to switch us (when we were concerned about the pool noise).

CONCLUSION - Overall, we had very mixed feelings about the Leonardo. We remembered the restful nights sleep and the wonderful Negev desert as well as our time at the University with our friends and colleagues. But the key card nightmare was something else.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Beersheba hotels

Tel Aviv, Israel
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

The service was terrible, there was only one staff member in the reception although there were 10 gusts waiting, had to wait for about 10 minutes every time we called reception. the rooms were not clean and the , and the house keeping service gave very bad service, we will never go to a Leonardo hotel again. we staid fro two night and both nights there was a Loud wedding or party, although we were on 7th floor and we were not given a different room.

P. S.one good thing was the breakfast which was great.

Room Tip: don't stay there!