“Full Criticism” 3 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4 Henrietta Sold Street, Beersheba 84894, Israel   |
Ranked #2 of 2 hotels in Beersheba
“Full Criticism”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Leonardo Negev for 2 weeks in May 2013 with my brother, we had 2 separate rooms

Pros: Spotless rooms, good amenities (Pool, Gym, Spa) decent food, great design of rooms.

Cons: At check in, the receptionist said they don't have my reservation (heart attack for anyone who just flew for 12 hours to an unknown country)... After 5 minutes of "intensive" search my reservations are found... Right after I'm being asked to provide a credit card, to the question "what for?" I'm not being answered, but instead my card gets swiped for $2000+ because she "assumed" that the rooms were not paid for, thank God my card declined that charge on the spot, after i have finally cleared that its paid for, the hand raises again for a swipe machine, when I asked "why did you swipe it again?" i was told that it's for payment of the "gym/spa and other amenities" that I never intended to use in the first place. Never mind that, She tells me that the charge will be 500 shekels (security deposit in case of damage to the room that will be reimbursed if not used to pay for gym) , after I checked my mobile statement it turned out I was charged 500 dollars instead of shekels (Big Difference). At the time of this whole process I did not get a single question answered because all of the attention went to friends/coworkers/other people that were not on the line. One of the guests came up with a question regarding a wi-fi connection... She was rudely sent off to someone at the cafe, a minute later the lady returned saying that the cafe sent her back to reception, that process happened 3 times while I was checking in. Phones were ringing, they were answered in the rude manner, only because she made it so public to roll her eyes and the hang up loudly accompanied with Hebrew word "Dai"... Which I was later on told that it means "Enough Already!!!" as in "Enough of this ringing I'm not helping anyone??". That happened over 5 times during my check in. My overall check in time took 15-20 minutes. Not to mention that no one even welcomed me at the hotel upon entering with bags.
If you are a late sleeper, forget it,
you will be waken up by cleaning
staff that yell/communicate outside the door across the hallway. Even though they do a great job at cleaning, someone need to teach them a courtesy lesson. At the time of check out I get Same Receptionist as the one that checked me in, while I was waiting 15-20 minutes on the line because she was by herself at the reception (understandable), when it finally came to my turn she skips me and starts helping the gentleman behind me. When I mentioned to her that, "by the way I was here first!" she answered "Ok"... Like it's OK to do so.
Her name is "Shlomit".... If this is the girl that will be helping you, prepare to be terrorized and hate the fact that you chose this hotel to stay in. Also the shower runs either too hot or too cold, I've played with the handle back and forth during every time I showered. Stays warm for 2 minutes max then runs back to boiling hot or ice cold. Happy Staying!!!

• Stayed May 2013
FattalM, Guest Relations Manager at Leonardo Hotel Negev, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
Thank you for taking your valuable time to write your notes.
Our guests comments regarding the hotels efficiency is an important tool that enables us to continually improve and adjust our service to meet our guests’ needs.
Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience caused you during your staying in our hotel.
We were sorry to read your lack of satisfaction from the reception staff attitude. Our Moto is to host with love.
We were delighted to read that you enjoyed our Spotless rooms and our amenities (Pool, Gym, Spa, food and design).
Inbar Asor-Sabato

153 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Korean first
Jerusalem
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

In my opinion, this hotel has two different aspects, rooms and common areas. Rooms are quite large, pleasantly designed, spotlessly clean, with a modern bathroom, comfortable beds and all the amenities of a very good 4 star hotel. On the other hand, common areas are quite unpleasant, decorated in an office style, without the slightest aesthetic sensibility, especially so the dining room; they are also quite dirty, maybe because the hotel is a very large building, difficult to take care of. Reception staff was polite and efficient; dining room staff was polite but unprofessional. Breakfast needs to be improved, but is edible as it is. The hotel is located in an area that is far away from all the tourist attractions.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
FattalM, General Manager at Leonardo Hotel Negev, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
Dear Miriam,
Thank you for taking your valuable time to write your notes.
Your comments are very important to us and we will do our best to learn from them to improve.
We were delighted to read that you enjoyed our clean and designed rooms and that you saw our reception staff polite and efficient - We host with love !
Leonardo Hotel Negev underwent a series of renovations in the past and we intend to ensure the continued renovations in the future, in order to create satisfaction among our guests.
We will be more than happy to see you among our guests in the near future.
Again, thank you very much.

Udi Ashkenazi
Tel Aviv, Israel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We were there on a shabat with family, for one night.

Since we were invited on a "shabat bar-mitzva" along with 40 other guests, we did not expected much. Surprisingly, the hotel was just fine and more. The room was not very big but very clean, well decorated. The bed was comfortable. The meals were good and tasty- that was not a five star hotel choice, but then again, this is not a five star hotel. The staff was very friendly.

I have to add that we tried the pool- and it was very, very small, full of people, very crowded.

I don't know what was the cost for every room, but many people were invited and I guess this hotel offered a good price. This is not the kind of hotel I would go with my husband on vacation, but this is the kind of hotel you can have some good food, a clean roon and a good night sleep in, if you're in the city.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
FattalM, General Manager at Leonardo Hotel Negev, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Thank you for taking your valuable time to write your notes.
We were delighted to read that you enjoyed our hospitality at the hotel and our services.
Eitan Ochana
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

The Good - The rooms at the Leonard are relatively clean, very quiet, and the beds quite comfortable. Some of the pictures on the web make it look quite upscale. In fact, the lobby and bar area are quite nice but the room we had was extremely basic in its decor and furnishings. However, we did have three excellent nights sleep even though I had a cold and was up a couple of times at night with it and bit of jet lag. Because our room had three beds (one queen, two twins - must have been a junior suite) my wife slept on one of the twins and we both slept well. Our room was on the second floor and faced the inside courtyard where there is a pool. There are many activities, weddings, receptions, etc. at the pool with a loud speaker. The first night the mayor of Beer Sheva was hosting a dinner reception and we thought we won't be able to sleep until late. In fact, each night the parties wrapped up by 9 pm and it was blissfully quiet.

Just on the other side of the parking lot there is a little mall that has several very nice restaurants, including one bar/grill that had a wonder Ahmedinejad Soup! Just thing for my cold.

The Bad - I spent a long time trying to find online another hotel for comparison. There are none. If you are staying in Beer Sheva, this is the only hotel so they are not very motivated to make it a pleasant stay. The breakfast buffet was adequate but not up to international standards.

The Ugly - The key cards!!! Apparently to save money they keep reusing these so they don't hold their magnetization. Half the time you try to get into your room and you have to go back down to the lobby and wait in line to get a new key card. Worse, because of security (I assume) you cannot drive up to the lobby/parking lot or get out of the parking lot without a key card. When we first came in the gate was open but then couldn't get out. Imagine a line of taxis honking behind you and you have to run into the lobby to get a new key card. Same thing several times trying to get out of parking...

Israeli's are very warm and wonderful people, but not known for their warm and fuzzy customer service. The Leonardo, however, sets a new standard. The "bell hop" had zero interest in any of our problems and although a few of the understaffed and overworked desk clerks were nice, one was basically yelling at us that her job is tough and she doesn't have a single room free to switch us (when we were concerned about the pool noise).

CONCLUSION - Overall, we had very mixed feelings about the Leonardo. We remembered the restful nights sleep and the wonderful Negev desert as well as our time at the University with our friends and colleagues. But the key card nightmare was something else.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Beersheba hotels

Tel Aviv, Israel
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

The service was terrible, there was only one staff member in the reception although there were 10 gusts waiting, had to wait for about 10 minutes every time we called reception. the rooms were not clean and the , and the house keeping service gave very bad service, we will never go to a Leonardo hotel again. we staid fro two night and both nights there was a Loud wedding or party, although we were on 7th floor and we were not given a different room.

P. S.one good thing was the breakfast which was great.

Room Tip: don't stay there!
Aarhus, Denmark
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

If you have ended up in this confusion of a city which claims to have biblical roots but very little to show now, then this hotel is another manifestation of the same. Boring, dull, but functional, hotel for the purposes of your short sty for whatever reason you are there. Nothing too bad, but nothing much to remember either. A special "Shabath elevator", which knows where to reach without touching any buttons on a shabath!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
FattalM, General Manager at Leonardo Hotel Negev, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Sincerely yours
Udi Ashkenazi
Montville, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

This hotel was a huge disappointment! It is posing as a 4 star hotel. That must be a joke! As for location, you could not tell if the hotel entrance was part of the ajoining mall. The service was poor, and unconcerned. No one was at the front door to help with our luggage. The halls, the carpeting, the furniture throughout the entire hotel was run down and dirty. We scratched all night; was that bed bugs? The food was below standard, buffet style, and the "dining room" resembled a dirty high school cafeteria. The hotel "included a breakfast for Saturday" but at 9:40am, (after religious services), the dining room was either closed or they did not let us in. Instead, there was a standing area in a hall with a broken down hot water urn for guests to make instant coffee. No milk, no food, no attendents. Hence, there was no breakfast. We went down to the desk.
The security guard called the hotel clerk to the front. She told us we would have to pay extra to get something to eat! However, this very same hotel clerk had been in the back having her breakfast! Needless to say, we went without eating.
The hotel was filled with families that celebrate various occasions on the weekend, and it was like a college dorm with noisy people clammering all night.

Room Tip: Don't go there
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
FattalM, General Manager at Leonardo Hotel Negev, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Leonardo Negev Hotel and Thank you for investing your spare time in writing this important comment.
The Hotel management deeply sorry your unpleasant experience in our hotel.
We must point out that within the dates of your staying at the Leonardo Negev hotel, we hosted many families of Saturday grooms. The Jewish tradition emphasizes joy, poetry and love. We apologize for the noise that you experienced.
We were delighted to read that you saw our reception staff team very talented and friendly.
Your Comments were taken to our attention, and we will do our best to learn from them to improve accordingly.
Again, thank you very much.
Sincerely yours,

Been to Leonardo Hotel Negev? Share your experiences!