“Will definitely be back” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The SnowMansion Taos Hostel Ski Lodge Inn & Campground

You added The SnowMansion Taos Hostel Ski Lodge Inn & Campground to your Saves list
The SnowMansion Taos Hostel Ski Lodge Inn & Campground
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   476 Hwy 150, Arroyo Seco, NM 87514 (Formerly The Abominable Snowmansion)   |
Coolidge, Arizona
“Will definitely be back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

Fantastic place to stay for travelers, young and old. The staff was very welcoming and would answer whatever questions I had. Better than any other hostel I've been to, obviously not the Waldorf Astoria... But it's not meant to be. Full of some very unique characters, and while I was there.. the other visitors were a lot of fun to talk to as well. The dormitory beds weren't bad, I'd just suggest the bottom bunk, cause getting into and out of the top can get a little noisy.

I would absolutely suggest this to just about anyone, it was certainly a unique experience and if you're a knowledge seeker, there is a lot of interesting stuff to be found in the Snowmansion

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

Taos was the destination of one last, long bike tour before I was to old to pedal and the Snow Mansion was a wonderful and unexpected discovery after roaming around Santa Fe and Taos for a couple of weeks. These folks are kind and caring owners who attract a staff with similar qualities.
I spent three weeks as a tent camper and found myself quite comfortable with full use of all the facilitites. And, during my visit, I observed and met
many people who stayed in the rooms, the tipis and enjoyed their stay
very much. Several spent an extra day because they found the Snow
Mansion so much fun, relaxing and comfortable.
Sure, this is not a perfect palace. The odd upgrade could be done
here and there, but, I watched every day as the staff capably
cleaned and prepared the mansion for another day all around the property.
(under strict supervision of the two cats no doubt - Pumpkin and Snowcone)
If anything was missed or you have a special request, all you need do is ask
and they will immediately help you with any of your needs and wants.
All things considered, this is a place to stay if you're seeking a unique
adventure filled with character and interesting people all around you.
If you're seeking the same o' same o' cookie cutter room,
devoid of enlivening qualities then, any motel chain will do just fine.
The Snow Mansiion should definately be on your list of places
to see and stay- and for an extra day. I'll be back in a couple of weeks.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

I stayed at the snow mansion last month with some friends. We were on a road trip and stumbled on this hostel after a long day of hiking. It was the warmest friendliest hostel we found on our trip. There was a beautiful meal cooked from their garden that the staff generously shared with us.

We slept in a tipi and it was a really fun unique experience! I will definitely try to make it back there next time I'm in the southwest!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

I am used to hostels and enjoy funky places, so I wasn't expecting the Four Seasons, but this place was the worst hostel experience i have ever had. The blanket on my bed had a bunch of cat fur (I have two cats and love them, but this was too much...thank goodness I'm not allergic), the main communal bathroom by the kitchen did not have soap (Ewwww) or towels. The bathrooms in the outbuilding were better than that in the communal bath (by that I mean you didn't have to turn the water on and off with pliers) but had pubic hair in the shower. I had a room in the back of the house, which was by the back porch. The light to the porch was on all night and the thin, white curtains did nothing to keep light out. On top of that, the back of the house was the hang out for smokers/drinkers (in spite of having a special out building and outdoor area 200 feet away). When I tapped on my window (a friendly 'hey I'm in here and would you please be quiet' tap) at 11 p.m. (quiet hours start at 10 p.m.) I was jeered by the 20 something guys (some of whom I think work and/or hang out here regularly). In the morning, I found someone had thrown an egg at my car (at least I hope it was free range and organic) and I had to drive 10 miles into Taos to a car wash, as it was baked on. The manager did move me to another room with a private bath, but I was afraid to complain too much in person, as I didn't want to wake up to slashed tires!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
McKinney, Texas, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

I'm not sure where some of the people stayed on this survey but the carpet was torn and stained, the place stunk the towels had stains on them. I paid for three nights and only stayed one.. lost over $500.00.. the night we slept there we slept in our sleeping bags because it was so nasty. When I went looking for other quarters to stay in and shared where we were staying..the towns people were more than willing to help. If you are just wanting a place to lay your head and don't care about what it looks like..then this is the place, but if you are looking to truly have a fantastic vacation experience.. I highly recommend you look elsewhere. I firmly believe management is use to people not staying because they keep you money even if you don't stay the full time.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
SnowManNewMexico, Owner at The SnowMansion Taos Hostel Ski Lodge Inn & Campground, responded to this review, March 29, 2011
We are very sorry these guests found their experience lacking. We bleach the bathrooms and showers, change the linens and towels after every check out. Like every hotel, some of our towels and linens have stains, but they are clean. If any guest ever expresses a concern we are happy to change or clean the offending item right before their eyes. You do not get into this business without getting a bad review on occasion. The vast majority of guests enjoy their stay here. If this review gives you any concerns please mention it when you call and we will happy to address it.
St. Paul, MN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2010

On a two week road trip with my 12 year old daughter, thought it would be fun to stay at the hostel and save a little money. Yuck! Place was dirty and run down, we left as soon as we could the next morning. First looked at the teepees but the sight of the mattresses on the ground was a turn off (envisioned bugs, critters, dirt), plus the teepee fabric was damp by the evening and appeared very wet from the dew by morning. Instead stayed in a private room downstairs. Room was clean and relatively comfy, the electic decor (Asian, New Mexico, ?) made us laugh. Must be a shortage of plumbing fixtures in Taos as there were no knobs to turn the water on in the downstairs shower (locking vice grip instead) and the outdoor washroom didn't have a knob for hot water. Didn't notice until the next morning they use the backyard as a dump, old mattresses and junk strewn about behind the teepees and tent area--yuck!. Front desk staff were okay but the surly manager/owner that was in the kitchen early in the morning was a jerk, getting all snippy when I asked about the whereabouts of the bathroom/shower. We did meet an interesting elderly gentleman that was staying there, besides one other family most were young adults or were a group of young hippies that commune there over the summer. We referred to it the rest of the trip as the 'hostage' and laugh about the experience now. Skip this hostel, spend a little extra for something else.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2010

Helpful people at front desk; fresh vegetables from their garden to cook; inexpensive. We didn't get to sleep in the teepees, but the rest of the visit was great! People were nice and friendly; room was clean; bath and shower worked. And it's a block from the Taos Cow! Can't beat that!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to The SnowMansion Taos Hostel Ski Lodge Inn & Campground? Share your experiences!