“Fun Steakhouse” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Sabroso Restaurant and Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 4.7 mi N of US 64
“Fun Steakhouse”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

We ate there on a mid-week evening with friends. The restaurant had live music and the outdoor seating (bar menu only) was pretty busy. We ate indoors and had our choice of their "fine-dining" menu or the bar menu - offering up more choices. We still heard the music and the restaurant looks pretty nice indoors as well as outdoors.

The food was good, but not outstanding. I ordered their mixed grill, which had filet, sausage and a chop. My dish was very good, well prepared and a large portion. Two of us ordered the
Hickory-Smoked Baby Back Ribs, which I also got to taste. The ribs were OK, but not great. They needed to be cooked longer and slower to build that rich fall-off-the bone taste I've come to love. The BBQ sauce was OK, but a bit too sweet and too much on the ribs, probably to cover-up for not enough hickory smoking - they would do better with a rub on the ribs and most of the sauce in a side bowl. Neither of those at my table took home their ribs leftovers - a rarity with my group.

They had a decent wine and beer selection as well as mixed drinks.

The server was attentive and professional. Overall, kind of a fun place. But, I was hoping that I would like the food more than I did.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
TaosFoodie, Owner at Sabroso Restaurant and Bar, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thanks for your comments.

We're sorry that not everything met your standards.

We spend over a day and a half on each batch of ribs. They are first brined in proprietary brining solution for 24 hours and then receive a dry-rub and are slow-cooked at low temperature in a digitally-controlled oven for several hours and then lastly they are smoked at low temperature in hickory smoke for several more hours.

They are cooked entirely separate from the sauce and thus the sauce can be served on the side although most customers want it on the ribs.

The amount of smoke and the sweetness of the sauce are a matter of style. We're from St. Louis where the barbecue sauce tends to be slightly sweeter than the vinegar style of some other areas of the country.

I happened to have (with the help of my spouse) eaten an entire rack from the same batch as yours. The ribs showed obvious signs of smoke and were tender and juicy. While properly cooked they did not fall off of the bone -- indeed this is considered a defect in professional rib competitions as it shows overcooking and possible boiling and/or steaming.

We hope you'll return to Sabroso and should you choose to try the ribs again just ask your server to serve the sauce on the side.

Thanks again for visiting us.

Denver, Colorado
“Almost”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

On a perfect late summer night, a beautiful patio, wonderful food, nice ambience and a server who was a wet blanket. This long time classy eatery achieved a wonderful balance of ingredients until I asked if I could get my tuna cooked,not seared. Some of us older people don't like raw fish, or seared or whatever. After asking that we were treated like the country bumpkins from Denver.
Maybe the poor guy was tired, maybe he got scolded by the chef for our being so presumptuous as to want our food the way we wanted it. Whatever,,,,,,,,,in a world where the customer used to be the person to be satisfied, this server fell flat.
So much for him. The place deserves the positive reviews it has gotten for the quality of the food, presentation and atmosphere. We'll be back

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Thanks for visiting Sabroso and for your comments.

Your server, of course, should have happily accommodated your request for your ahi to be cooked. In fact, he should have suggested that it be grilled as a tuna steak. For that, we apologize and you can be assured that we have spoken to him about this matter.

We hope you'll return to Sabroso and give us a chance to improve on your last visit.
Los Alamos, New Mexico, United States
“Uneven, but predominantly very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

This restaurant in Arroyo Seco, between the town of Taos and the Taos Ski Valley, is well concealed, but worth some effort to find. The menu is a mixed bag of Continental and American cuisines, and the majority of the choices we have tried have been excellent. The "vegetarian ravioli du jour" that I had on our last trip was top-notch, featuring portobello and porcini mushrooms and a superbly tasty spinach topping. Less satisfactory was my wife's ribeye steak, which she found to be somewhat unevenly prepared and to have more of a grain of fat to it than a ribeye really needs to have. It was still an enjoyable outing, with friendly, attentive but unobtrusive service, and the usual pleasant seating outdoors that is available for most of the year. I recommend this restaurant unequivocally.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Excellent Dining”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

One of the best meals I've had in Taos! We ate here on Saturday August 10th and had a great time. The hostess and servers were so friendly. It was a great atmosphere. I recommend the Pear Gorgonzola and the Filet. We will be definitely be eating here on our next trip here!

Houston, Texas
“Excellent place to eat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

We sat outside on the patio and had some unique appetizers followed but a really fantastic steak. They are a short drive out from town but well worth it. Ramona will make you a very good margartia!

• 5 of 5 stars Food