“The Highlight of one month in Bali and Lombok!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sunset Gecko

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lombok
Sunset Gecko
You added Sunset Gecko to your Saves list
| Gilimeno, Lombok, Indonesia   |
Ranked #64 of 100 Hotels in Lombok
Vancouver, Canada
“The Highlight of one month in Bali and Lombok!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

My sister and I spent one month travelling Bali and Lombok and our stay in Gili Meno at the sunset Gecko was our favorite part of the entire trip! First of all Gili Meno itself is heaven on earth- Just a tiny little island with some great beaches and a laid back vibe. we went over to Gili Trawangan for the day, an knew we had made the right choice to stay on Meno. The sunset Gecko is an eco-friendly place with outdoor showers that recycle the water- you're given natural soap on arrival. There is a snorkelling spot right out the front, and I spent many days simply floating along, following turtles and admiring the coral. The food served there is amazing, and we watched as fresh seafood was delivered, and we chose our meal for the night. The staff are amazingly friendly and became friends to us during our stay, some of us still keep in touch on facebook! I cannot say enough good things about this place- I absolutely loved it, and I know one day I will be going back!!!

Room Tip: Rooms in the shared house offer the best value.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

Me and my partner stayed here for 5 nights in November, 2011 and had a wonderful time. The best thing about this place is that the staff are genuinely helpful and friendly. They try their best to make your stay as comfortable as possible. Hiro - san, the guy who runs this place is an angel. He makes sure you get whatever you ask for. It was very sweet of him to look around and find us a reliable and good dive shop when we wanted to do some diving. He knows the island very well and advised us on the good snorkelling spots too. The hotel is conveniently located and you get to see great sun sets from the restaurant area.

We definitely plan to stay there again. May the Gecko's protect you till then. :)

Love from India.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

My partner and I stayed here for 5 nights in late June. It was a truly wonderful experience. The place is rustic with a real eco feel. We were in an A frame with an a shared outdoor bathroom. The room was small but cool enough with only windows and fan and a good mosquito net. The real charm of the place is sitting on the beach edge watching the madness on gili t whilst sipping on a fruit shake or beer and then going for a snorkel with turtles. The restuarant is great with the fish in particular being amzing.

A couple of side points - the beach is lots of shells so you'll need to walk south for a sandy beach. You'll need to take a horse cart when you arrive and the food is reasonable but not cheap and there are no atm's. Gili M gets a lot of press about mosquitos but to be honest there were less mosquitos than in a number of places in Thailand.

Enjoy!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

I only intended to come to Gili Meno for a couple of days but ended up staying over a week. Arrived on the minute island alone having booked no accomodation. Went to numerous places in hunt of somewhere to stay, none looked great and all were overpriced so I decided to just wander around the island and if it became necessary to just kip in one of the many unused huts. In the end I wound up here and I count myself extremely fortunate. The staff were the friendliest of anywhere, the hut was comfortable, the atmosphere and company was perfect. Right by the beach (not that anywhere isn't on Gili Meno) and cheap beer and great food.
Of everywhere I have ever been, The Sunset Gecko, at sunset, in a pair of shorts and t-shirt, by the beach, with a beer in hand. This is my Utopia.

You will not regret coming here. Whether or not you give a flying... er... care about the environment. Oh, and Kecil Telor

Room Tip: Single rooms are cheap and practical.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

I stayed here with my partner for 3 nights in the beach front 1 accommodation, the views are stunning, the rooms are simple only a bed, fan, shelf and mirror but you don't require anything else. The food is of good standard but it is served on Gili Meno time, but then you are on holiday so whats the rush. If you get a private boat from Gili T, tell the guys on the boat that you are staying at Sunset Gecko and they will drop you directly on the beach rather than at the jetty which is the otherside of the island also when you are relaxed and ready to leave, the staff can arrange for a boat to come and take to you Gili T rather than wait for the public boat. We will definately be returning the Gili Meno and Sunset Gecko.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Denpasar, Indonesia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

I have been to the Sunset Gecko three times now and it has always been a great place but on my recent visit last week I was saddened and dismayed by how run down the place is getting. The building materials are starting to fall apart, the furnishings are getting shabby and the staff are pretty damn lazy (apart from Alex, he's a champion) There are so many maintenance issues that could be being taken care of by the staff each day to keep on top of things but they are content to sit around playing guitar and making excuses.

The quality of the food was very very average and the service was lacklustre. Each time we wanted food or more beer we had to get up and go to the kitchen to ask. They whould have been watching and doing the rounds. We stayed two nights and on the last morning we were informed that they had no more mangoes or oranges for breakfast juice. This may sound petty but it is a hotel after all an the prices aren't cheap! The excuse was that the boat was broken (a lie) as the public boat comes and goes from the mainland every single day.

I know that the owner lives abroad and I hope he becomes aware of the lack of interest of his staff while he is away and that they are running his once great business into the ground.

It is a beautiful location and we had a great time lazing on a tropical desert island in spite of the service and state of play but I will unfortunately not be going back, and that is a crying shame.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

Okay - Sunset Gecko was a pleasant surprise - it's very laid back and works on Indonesian time...so if you ask for something or order food then expect to wait...but this is all part and parcel of the experience and you do leave here extremely chilled out.

The staff are very friendly, and as a backpacker stop it is very practical. Be aware that it is the opposite end of the island to the Ferry - takes about 30 mins to walk to or 10 minutes by horse and cart. This is fine but better to get to in daylight I imagine. (Just walk in a straight line along the coast).

Firstly - Where in Sunset Gecko to stay.

Well - they do have very cheap single rooms starting at about 70 000 a night (£5) and if your budget is super tight then you could go for these. However, my friend stayed in one of these and whilst no complaint from her they are dark small rooms, with old looking beds, so fine but basic.

If you can stretch to £7 then I would highly recommend staying in the beach A-Frame bungalows - you don't need to go for anything more expensive than this option (some of the rooms went up to 500 000 a night). These are 200,000 a night (so 100, 000 for two - about £7 a night!) and they are very nice. Our AF2 was clean, the sheets were fresh, the mosi net didn't have a single hole and there was plenty of room for two backpacks, plus a nice balcony. It was more of a comfortable experience and we could hang out here - it was like a little home.

The showers and toilets are separate. The toilets were immaculate - I couldn't believe it - they are checked several times a day. Yes there is cold water in the bamboo showers - but it's boiling hot on Gili Meno so this isn't a problem if you don't shower late at night! It is refreshing! The hotel give you fresh aloe vera soap to use to keep the water chemical-free and the whole establishment is run as an eco-friendly organization.

There was a sewerage smell once a day - this is true - however, it is the nature I suppose of an eco-hotel. They water the plants with this water and so it does smell for a short time. Maybe the staff could plan the timing of this a little better - one night there was a beautifully romantic sunset...but the smell of sewage for 30 minutes...anyway - it goes away pretty quickly.

The food is more highly priced than other places - however there is quite a choice of warungs (Indonesian style cafes) within walking distance that are cheaper and the food is basic but fine. I recommend having breakfast here (the banana pancakes at Gecko are yum) but head out to other parts of the island for lunch and dinner. Having said that a friend of mine found a bit of plastic in her food at Gecko and had no response to her complaint...

As a guide (and because it took us a bit of working out) fruit shakes at 10 000 rupiah are a good price (about 70p) water is about 5000 (35p) or 3000 if you refill and a meal you can get for 20000 (£1.40). Traveling to the other Gilis is possible as the local ferries leave twice a day and are 20 000 - 23 000 (£1.40 - £1.65).

Gili Meno is spectacular - the quietest of least commercial of the islands - lovely.
All in all I thought Sunset Gecko did really well and it is in a very pretty location. Yes there is coral in the water but this is a problem on most of its beaches - you need to take waterproof shoes when you swim and then you're fine -

I recommend GiliCat as a safer option to get to the Gilis too...

Safe Travels!

M

One last

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Sunset Gecko? Share your experiences!