“Very hard on the legs but well worth it......” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #11 of 83 things to do in Lombok
Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Sunny Coast QLD
“Very hard on the legs but well worth it......”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2015 NEW

I dont usually review on here much, but you do really need to know what you are getting yourself in for with this trek, so thought I would share my experience. Please note that the tour companies really dont tell you how difficult this trek can be because really, if they did, so many tourists would say no!! I am a fairly fit person, I mountain bike and paddle regulary and have good aerobic fitness. I found the trek quite strenuous and had V sore legs for about 4 days afterwards, BUT dont let this put you off, if you go prepared you should be fine.
Firstly the mountain IS NOT open tll the dry season, April 1st till Nov I think, so check this first.
Secondly, there is more that one approach to the Base Camp, which then you generally camp at then attempt the summit at 2AM in the morning. This is because you get up to the summit before dawn when the MT is hopefully clearest of cloud.

I did the 2 day 1 night trek. From the Northern side straight up to the base camp, camp overnight then next day do the summit at 2am, then have brekky at base camp, then descend. This was good, no mucking around for three or 4 days, all done in 2. BUT it is two pretty full on days.

As far as trekking companies go, they charge all sorts of crazy prices if you want a bit of LUXURY, down to as low as $100 for the 2 day trek, which is what we ended up paying. It included all our transfers, hotel one night, all porters and camping and guiding and food. Really, its the same experience for all, you pay alot more more fancier food and a thicker matress.

OK, so awesome experience, just beware it is REALLY cold up the top, you will need a warm jacket and gloves ( you can rent them from trekking mobs), and a beanie would help. MAKE sure you have comfy shoes, I was really happy I had my well worn in runner shoes. They did the trick. Also bring a good torch, some snaks, and some loo paper.

Mt Rinjani, awesome, but it is a little trashed with rubbish they just kick off the side of the hills, and in the next few years they will have to get some sort of sanitary system going up there too! But that will be another story.

Visited April 2015

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
3 attraction reviews
“Ary Trekking Mount Rinjani ! Go with Ary Trekking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2015 NEW

I do rinjani 4days 3 night trip with ary trekking and it was more difficult than what I thought it many climbers go up then down he said that my body was sore and my muscles ache and feel tired .but everything was nice when we were at the top of the mountain we rinjani very pleased with the nice scenery and very beautiful, and we get a good service and good food and healthy .and I had a great time and can not really complain because -Right good price and not expensive and the staff we were very pleased with ary trekking the trip to Mount rinjani his paddock arbitrarily good and friendly. Thank you very much tiem ary good trekking company and the service is good and nice. Go with ary trekking

Visited April 2015
Penang Island, Malaysia
“Rinjani with Rudy Trekker”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2015 NEW

My husband and I just got back from an amazing trip to Lombok, where we hiked to the crater rim with Rudy Trekker. I cannot recommend Rudy Trekker enough – prior to the hike itself, we found Rudy and his friend Antok to be very responsive to any and all enquiries. They answered all questions we had about the hike. The guides they provided during the hike were fantastic – very friendly, and knowledgeable enough about weather patterns to recommend a shorter or longer break at the various stops along the way to the crater rim. The guides made sure to collect all garbage so as to not add to the trash problem that the mountain does have in places (this problem did not take away from the beauty of the crater and the hike itself, but was, as others have said, disappointing to see. I was glad we found a guide who was as concerned as we were about this issue). We found ourselves in some pretty terrible weather, with near constant rain on the way up. Luckily, our guides provided us with sturdy ponchos and gloves, which greatly helped (they also supplied us with hand sanitizer and gloves... very nice indeed!) The path was admittedly a little treacherous in spots in these weather conditions, but both of our guides lent us a hand and made us feel safe. Unlike other tour providers we saw on the way Rudy Trekker also supplied each of us with a trekking pole, which was hugely helpful.

A few helpful tips: You very much need a sturdy pair of shoes for this trek. You also need very warm clothes for the top of the crater – it got unexpectedly cold, and I found that my fleece was not enough to keep me warm. I would suggest a lightweight jacket, warm socks, and layers. Also, waterproof everything! This is definitely a must. This mountain is a difficult climb – I run an average of 15-20 miles per week and it was very doable, but I'm still incredibly sore, even though its been two days since our decent. My husband does not work out much and he could do it, but is sorer than I, and he reported that the hike was not super enjoyable for someone of his fitness level. I'd also recommend snacks.

I'd still recommend this beautiful climb to anyone looking for an amazing adventure, and highly recommend Rudy Trekker.

Singapore, Singapore
9 attraction reviews
“Abul Trekking - Amazing Trip - Great Company!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2015 NEW

We did a 2D/1N Summit Trek with Abul Trekking and everything from booking till final goodbye was perfectly organized. Email communication was very prompt and clear with all the information needed to come to Lombok. Airport pick up and drop off were smoothly organized. Our hike briefing on the night before was detailed and everything was ready for the start of our hike the next day. On the first day of our trek we met with our guide (Boja) and our porters. Looking back at the hike, I can only have deep respect for these people, carrying the tents, food, etc up and down Rinjani. The first part of the hike is relatively easy, with a climb from 1100m to 1800m, but at position 3, it starts to get though. It gets steep and it's best described as a never ending hill, whenever you think you are there, there's another peak in the distance. Upon arrival at the crater rim (2600m), our porters were already there and had prepared our tent and food was getting prepared. We already were spoiled with amazing food for lunch, but the vegetable curry for dinner was amazing! Restaurant Rinjani did not disappoint! The gear from Abul Trekking is very good quality such as the tent, the sleeping bags, ... After a short night, it was time to start trekking the summit, which is at 3726m, so another 1100m to go. It's though in the first part, you get some respite at the almost horizontal part before starting the very challening steep hike to the summit. The difficult thing is that you are hiking loose gravel/sand, so every step requires a lot of energy! A big thank you here to our guide who helped us and didn't push a pace .. We missed at the summit, but we did make it and once you are there, you forget easily all the suffering. It's such a beautiful view - one to never forget!
On the way down, we had some fun, because the cursed gravel up, was a lot of fun down.
Our porters were (again) waiting for us with food, one more time delicious!
From the rim down, we had rain, lots of it and the path became an instant river and again, our guide helped us to pick the right trail to avoid slipping. Very professional job and we would not have been able to do it without his help.
When we finally arrived, Abul & his wife, made a very good home cooked dinner for us, which we shared with our guide & porters. A perfect end to a great hiking experience.

One thing to note when you book a trekking tour, please make sure you book one that goes for GREEN. Rinjani is full of rubbish left by tourists and the hiking companies that don't bother carrying the rubbish back down. It's a real shame and we truly hope that it will change in the future. Abul trekking did a very good job here, as the porters carried everything back down.

Hong Kong, null, Hong Kong
6 attraction reviews
“Yes it's breathtaking view, and the sight of mountain full of rubbish is disturbing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2015 NEW

My friend and I just did the 2D1N Rinjani summit trip. It is definitely very memorable view, the weather was not exactly in our favour but at least we were lucky it was a clear day when we reached the summit, as we heard some groups a week before us see nothing but cloud. Overall, a recommended experience but there are many things once need to be aware of when doing this trek:

1) pack wisely: we knew from the weather forecast that it is likely going to rain, and sometime on 3000m+, you can have all sort of weather. It's extremely hard to pack all you need while keeping our bag light. Important for us: emergency blanket, the foil camp blanket turned out to be the best thing we had - it was so cold at night and our sleeping bags were slightly damped from the rain earlier on the way up. The blanket saved us. Extra socks, any hiker would know the feeling of changing into new socks during a long walk (and in our case from our dampen socks). A good windbreaker that's waterproof, it was sooooo windy up at the summit. Do a layer approach as you will experience different weather as you climb up.

2) A good trekking company. We don't think the one we did was good. We suspect they are one of the copy cats of the better one. Online review is hard to judge and they all have super similar names which is confusing. Our guide didn't speak good English and we can only understand him 20%. We are quite experienced hiker (doing the 2D1N summit walk is very ambitious), but we were grouped into a 3D2N group. So we didn't get the full service we expected as the guide has to split between us and the other group. We basically did the summit by ourselves, it's doable as there were so many people doing it so you won't get loss. But it was not a cheap package and we just didn't think we had the full support we paid for. Dont really have a solution to this, just make sure you asked a lot of questions.

3) Trash. The sight of trash was extremely disturbing. It's a beautiful mountain. I know this is Indonesia not Swiss alp, but the trash is destroying the mountain. I was told by another guide (coz we hardly able to communicate with our guide) that the government used to pay people to pick up after the hiking season but they are being cheap about it so they stopped. Instead, they burn the trail to get rid of the garbage every year during off season. we were wondering why all the trees looked dead - and now we knew why. The thought of it disturbed me the whole time I was walking up. Being someone who claims to be an environment person, I can't stand the thought I am contributing to this garbage situation and the burning forest. They charge us although not a lot but a park fee, but nothing was done to maintain this beautiful mountain. It's super sad. So if you are doing this, be prepared to camp with garbage.

3). Facilities is very minimal. There's not a lot of shaded area along the way so when it rains or becomes to hot. You have no where to hide (and trees are dead)

4). Treat the porter well and with A LOT of respect. I seriously don't know how they do it. Carrying a huge load of stuff yet walking super fast and steady on both uphill and downhill. It was pouring when we walked downhill, our porter had no problem even with two baskets full of stuff. For us, even with the support of a walking stick we fell a few times. Amazing people. I don't know how well the company pays the , but we make sure we tip them properly. It was seriously very hard work.

5). 2D1N is not for everyone. We hiked 12km on the first day. Starting from around 9:30am. Mostly steep uphill, from about sambalun village approx 1200m to 2500km where our camp site was. The next morning we woke up at 1:30am and started the summit which is 3700m. It doesn't look that bad from the camp site but once we started to walk. Oh boy, it was to easy. The path is mainly sand- so you are constantly battling to stable your whole body and finding the right place to land your feet. The distance to summit is just about 3.5km but it was the longest 3.5km in my life. There were many moments of giving up, and we are so glad we managed at the end. It is a rewarding experience for the eyes and the mind.

I debated whether to give this a three stars or four stars, I decided to give a three because of the trash situation. The rest, if you are an experienced hiker, you can deal with. But Lombok seriously needs to take much care of Rinjani if they want people to keep going back. I hope this review can help to provoke some actions. I believe the people who loves nature would not mind to pay a premium for a better maintained mountain if that's what is needed. I would love to go back at some point, but not until this garbage situation is resolved.