“Business location-wise. If not, better not here.” 3 of 5 stars

Soechi International Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   76A Jl. Cirebon Medau, Medan 20212, Indonesia   |
Ranked #30 of 55 hotels in Medan
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Business location-wise. If not, better not here.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2010

This hotel is located in, what I assume, downtown Medan. It is surrounded by Dutch colonial style buildings. It is managed by Novotel (but how come?). The lobby has a oriental feeling to the interior. But it is a shame that the whole lobby is a smoking area. You won't get much fresh (conditioned) air as everyone is allowed to smoke indoors. The check in was a bit frustrating, since I was served by a trainee. It was taken care of when her supervisor took charge. The room amenities are 3-star standard. I went out for dinner and found that there are choices of local food just beside the hotel. But I find the hotel breakfast to be a bit oddly cooked. Some food that I use to eat dry fried, they served watery. What should be medium cooked, was served crispy. The porridge was undercooked. So, it wasn't to my personal liking. This hotel is the closest one to my regional office and it was arranged by the company. But if I were to choose, I wouldn't stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business

55 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Indonesian first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

I was very pleased staying in this hotel. I found out that all the staff were so friendly with their local accent of English. The color of the room is so soft that create a comfortable and cozy environment. The next morning i enjoyed a very large variety of breakfast where they provided a unique and tasty Indonesian food well of course with some American Breakfast.
Surrounding the hotel i could find a lot of small shops which a lot of accessory for ladies and kids. Moreover i found out this hotel is located in the main business district of the city.
I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to business travelers.
In the evening i enjoyed so much the live band in the Pub. This Indonesian singers performed so well and sexy until i did not realize that it was 2 am already.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Penang, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

We have been recommended by our friends to make a trip to Medan, since it is just less than an hour from Penang and there are about 12 daily flights with 4 different airlines, mostly at very affordable airfares.
Since our kids wanted to fly, this was a good option. Furthermore had my wife heard that we might be able to find a maid if we spend some time and check out the agencies there, and of course she likes shopping which is really affordable - if you look for clothes and household stuff i.e. and some fashionable accessoires.
The truly best location for this purpose, and that was recommended by a friend who frequently travels there, is in the centre of the town. That's why we choose the former Novotel, now Hotel Soechi Intl.
We were not dissapointed. The transport from the airport was free, and the van which they used was surprisingly nice and relatively new. The welcome by the always smiling and care taking doormen was warm and made us feel at home at once. The lobby looked grand, like an old grand dame with alot of marble and real preserved palm trees in the middle, paired with a wonderful sounding piano which is played by professionals in the morning and in the late afternoon.
The room was spacious enough for us with our 3 small kids, we just ordered one extrabed with fitted easily.
The swimming pool was sufficient and not too deep, the kids enjoyed and the staff of the hotel was very kind and helpful. At one corner of the pool was an outlet from the gym with the essential treadmill, bicycle and climbermachines, from where we could watch the kids. The next morning I jumped into the hot and bubbling spa pool, then refreshed in the icy cool divepool and enjoyed the sauna. The hotel is not new, but I felt comfortable and was contented for the price we paid. The always smiling and professional acting staff members gave us tips where to shop, we joined the shuttle to get dropped at the mall, from where we visited the adjacent market. We also went around the hotel where my wife found a new handbag, some perfume, and a good hairdresser saloon. My daughter found all her accessoires for the best price even within the hotel shopping. There is also a morning market in the hotel's basement, where we found all those traditional ointments, traditional food containers etc, and showed the kids the vegie and meat/fish sellers.
In the hotel they have an affordable dinner buffet everyday, whilst for lunch we enjoyed the fresh fish and the speciality coffee-chicken in the Oriental Restaurant on the ground floor.
The evening we spent in one of the two Karaoke entertainment outlets of the hotel. We rented a room which was big enough for 10, spent about 2 hours there with the entire family. It was easy to use and we had a friendly discount as house guests. There was also a pub boosting of 2 different live bands, where we had a peep. But that was too loud for the kids. So I went with my wife the other day and we enjoyed the jazz and oldies, as well as latest hits by their house band from Jakarta.
Overall, I can recommend this hotel for those who like to be in the centre of the town. Yes, it is old but I feel it's relatively well kept and especially the friendly and helpful staff make a difference. Accessibility to local shopping (not those grand malls like everywhere in the world) is fabulous. If you need the mall-shopping, then you need to take a transport - but it's available as well. The hotel got so many entertainment and restaurant choices, which is more than enough for their standard of 4 stars.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Jakarta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

Novotel was once this hotel's name, but now it is not operated by this Accord hotel chain anymore. Yet, they're still using a similar logo like Novotel. Staying in this hotel is not worth at all.
Two years ago I stayed in this hotel and have complained about so many things to the General Manager. He accepted the complaints and promised to improve their services. In the recent trip, I have no choice but to stay in this hotel again since other 4 & 5 stars hotels in this city were fully booked due to the national event at that time.
My suggestion to you is to avoid staying in this hotel. Even by using the free transportation from the airport to the hotel, you will see that the hotel management doesn't give much attention to give a good service and comfort as what guests should get when staying in a 4 stars hotel. The car is so dirty inside, not properly maintained or serviced (luckily it still can bring us safely to the hotel for checking in).
Once you arrive at the hotel you can smell kind of unpleasant odor. My room was in the non smoking floor, nothing to complain about the room space. However, the carpet in the corridor is so old and again lack of properly maintenance. The bed couldn't support your body anymore (my weight is just 65 kg), so be prepared to have back ache in the morning or sleepless night here.
The facilities e.g. sauna, massage, fitness room & swimming pool can be found in the 5th floor, but don't waste your time to go there unless you will watch the sauna and massage room condition in horror.
The breakfast in the ground floor is lousy and if you go to the oriental restaurant and inadvertently order fried rice, you will be served with meal which you could find it in the morning for your breakfast or was it from yesterday? It's just being warmed for a slightly better taste, but you can notice from the meat or rice which is not fresh anymore. I would suggest you to order steam fish or vegetables since they are fortunately still fresh.
Another interesting thing is, you will be charged for phone call if you request a taxi unless you agree to use hotel's taxi which will charge you double as when you use the common taxi. (Perhaps certain people earn their money from this arrangement, if you know what I mean).
Anyway, for a bit more money you can have a much better comfort, service and hospitality when staying in newer 4 or 5 stars hotels e.g. Grand Aston, Swiss Bell or Aryaduta Hotel. This hotel is simply odd!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Antwerp, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2010

This hotel looks like a four star hotel but that's it. I agree, the rooms are nice and clean. The service and food of the restaurant however is a disaster. Poor quality, little choice, cold servings....
I can't see how a four star hotel restaurant can run out of wine, there is a wine shop in the hotel!!!!! Unbelievable this hotel is operating under the 'Novotel' flag.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2007

I stayed in this hotel twice in August, once was when I missed my flight connection to Singapore, and the second was after I got back from Singapore and had to stay the night in Medan.
The people at the airport who did the pick up was consistently cheerful and friendly. The bellhop at the reception really hop to it. The entire team was fast and efficient. After staying in another hotel with disappointing service (Zon Regency Hotel, Johor Bahru) staying at Novotel Medan felt like a treat.
When I checked in, there was a very annoying guest who insisted to get things done his way though it was quite obvious even to me that he was in the wrong. The reception was determinedly polite and professional. I was impressed, if it was me, I would've snapped, because this man was a first class jerk.
The food in the restaurant was rather bland, but I didn't mind. The breakfast buffet was not interesting, but all in all it was nothing to complain about.
The hotel towel was a bit of a disappointment, because on my first stay, one had a hole in it. But I got in late, and I was too tired to ask for a change. The bathroom was nice, although in my first room the wall made a worrisome clanging noise when I turn off the sink faucet. The room itself need a new color scheme, because I think the carpet makes the room seem dark and boring. All the other things in the room are comfy and good.
On my way out, the reception asked me if there were any complaints I'd like to make, but I felt hard pressed to find any.
Agreeing with another traveler who wrote a review about Novotel, I don't understand why there are so many people lounging around in the lobby. It made the place seemed somewhat crowdy and well...common.
The Novotel Medan is a very comfortable place to stay in, and I definitely recommend this to fellow travelers.

• Liked — the service was fast, friendly, and cheerful
  • Disliked — the bathroom towels and plumbing
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2007

The Novotel Soechi is without doubt the best hotel for business and leisure travelers in Medan.

The experience starts with the professional and friendly airport pick up. In the International terminal their man is waiting for you as come through Immigration. In the Domestic terminal they have a booth at the luggage collection area.

They have a fleet of modern people movers to get you in comfort and safety to the hotel.

Check in is professional and efficient. Always ask for a room on the 8th floor, it has wireless internet and is non-smoking.

The breakfast is great, western and local choices, coffee is not good however, so stick with tea or juice.

We had room service, the Soto Ayam is out of this world and their Nasi Goreng is almost as good as my wife's.

The nightclub has a great vibe, it kicks off at 10pm, dont get there early, and be prepared for a long stay, the bands are great, even if the accousitcs are not. Its a great place, but take ear plugs if you dont like it really loud.

Rooms are very clean, beds are comfortable, bathrooms are ok, towels good for an Indonesian hotel, soaps a little small and useless so take your own or use the shower liquid.

Use the hotel taxi to go anywhere you want, it will cost you about $1 more than a street taxi, which I dont really like in Medan as there are no meters and all the taxis are old and broken.

The becak drivers outside are pretty good and have reasonable english, but haggle hard with them if you are bule. Ask the guard at the street entry to help if you want. The hotel taxi is about Rp35,000 to anywhere so if the becak wants Rp20,000 he is ripping you off, you can get almost anywhere in Medan on a becak for about Rp15,000. If they are good riders and can tell you things while driving you it might be worth giving them anout Rp5,000, but its not necessary.

The only fault I have found is that there are a lot of people hanging in the lobby who dont seem to have anything to do but hang in the lobby, I am sure they have a purpose but they do take up a lot of comfortable space for no apparent reason.

This is now my hotel of choice in Medan.

• Liked — Rooms were clean and well appointed
  • Disliked — Power goes off during the night and when it comes back on all the lights kick in
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Soechi International Hotel? Share your experiences!