“My first impression of Indonesia hotel” 4 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Jalan S. Parman 217, Medan 20152, Indonesia   |
Special Rate
Non-Refundable Promo
Ranked #5 of 56 Hotels in Medan
“My first impression of Indonesia hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

Overall is perfect but one thing need a little bit improve on food (breakfast). Almost the same menu.

Second is room facility, some is old or tear. Example like window curtains very difficult to move.

• Stayed January 2013
GSBM, General Manager at Grand Swiss-Belhotel Medan, responded to this review, January 28, 2013

Warmest Greetings from Grand Swiss-Belhotel Medan!

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to give your comment on Trip Advisor during your recent stay at Grand Swiss-Belhotel Medan.

We are most concerned with the satisfaction of our guests and your feedback is of great value to us. It allows us to ensure and improve the quality of service we want to offer our guests.

We hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again soon at Grand Swiss-Belhotel Medan.

Management of Grand Swiss-Belhotel Medan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Indonesian first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Went to Medan for a holiday in Dec 2012. A fairly last minute decision and so did the hotel search on-line and found the Grand Swiss-Belhotel.

The photos looks great and the reviews were generally positive. On arrival me and my family were not disappointed.
The recption and staff were efficient and courteous. THe rooms were spacious, clean and very comfortable. Facilities wise we used mainly the spa and massage services.

But the swimming pool turned out to be too small for any proper swim, and it was way smaller than that appeared on the photo.

One est thing about the hotel is the location. It is just beside a large shopping complex - so food, purchasing of basic neccesity or last minutes emergencies are all catered for.

It is also within walking distance to the BINTANG shopping area - plenty of shops, street side hawker stall and food !

We have a very pleasant stay - the only minor downside was that we could not extend our check out beyond 12 noon because teh hotel was so fully booked - may be due to Christmas season period

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Warmest Greetings from Grand Swiss-Belhotel Medan!
It has been our great pleasure to welcome you at Grand Swiss-Belhotel Medan and thank you for sharing your feelings about your stay with us.

We are very pleased to read that you had an excellent stay with us. It is gratifying to read that you particularly value our hotel, room, facilities, and services. It is encouraging as our guest's satisfaction is our primary concern.

We cannot thank you enough for your kind support and hope we will have the pleasure of serving you again soon.

Auckland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Comfy beds, great breakfast, helpful staff. An oasis in a busy Sumatran city. One frustrating thing is there is only three lifts for 27 floors of rooms which meant the journey up or down to or from your room was usually quite long.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
GSBM, General Manager at Grand Swiss-Belhotel Medan, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Warmest Greetings from Grand Swiss-Belhotel Medan!

We would like to thank you for choosing our hotel as your accommodation choice during your visit to Medan. And we sincerely appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback. We have take note on your comment about our Guest lifts. Kindly rest assured that necessary steps have been taken to improve the quality of service we want to offer to our guests.

Thank you for your kind support toward Grand Swiss Belhotel Medan!
We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again during your next visit to Medan.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

This is the second time i went to Medan, learning from the first experience i visited medan, i won't be expecting too much. It has been 5 years and i was that surprise to see there's a very very decent hotel that exceeds my expectations, i don't need to describe how wonderful the room was, everything is great including the value, 4 thumbs up if that's possible

• Stayed December 2012
GSBM, General Manager at Grand Swiss-Belhotel Medan, responded to this review, January 2, 2013

Warmest Greetings from Grand Swiss-Belhotel Medan!

We would like to thank you for choosing Grand Swiss-Belhotel Medan as your accommodation choice during your stay in Medan and for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor.

It is most gratifying to read that our valued guests are fully satisfied with the products and services that we offer. Thank you for your kind appreciation to us.
It has been a great pleasure for us to be at your service during your stay with us.
We hope to have the pleasure to welcoming you again during your next visit to Medan.

Kunming, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I chose this hotel in view of its reviews and location.

I booked through an online Travel Agent and due to previous problems, I always tend to check my reservation prior to arrival. I called two days before and they had no record of it. This resulted in two IDD calls to fix the problem. I am never sure who is to blame but it seems to be an endemic problem in Indonesia and whilst I anticipate it in a small hotel, I wouldn't expect to see it in a star rated hotel of this calibre with a dedicated reservation team.

We arrived at 3pm and there was quite a long queue for check in but it moved steadily. The staff were polite. One issue I did have is that the receptionist would not accept my credit card for check in as it said debit on it. I tried to explain (in Indonesian) that whilst it says that, it is a dual purpose card that has a credit account on it as well. The EDC machine even asked credit or debit. Given that I have used this card all over the world without issues, I was a little upset by this. I think a little training is needed as cards, those issued particularly in Europe and Australia normally operate like this. Just because it says debit does not mean it is like a BCA card. I do not believe that the machine would reject it, as I have successfully used it elsewhere with the same type of machine.

I booked a room with an extra bed, the extra bed was not in the room so I had to call Housekeeping, they came quickly. The room was very clean and the beds very comfortable.

One thing that surprised me was that there was no Iron or Ironing Board. I called Housekeeping and was advised to use the pressing service. This is the first time I have stayed in a similar hotel where there is no iron in the room or at least access to one. I would welcome feedback on that point.

Breakfast was okay but nothing spectacular. The first day, I had to wait over ten minutes to be seated. There were no teaspoons and I was presented with a plastic cocktail stirrer when I asked for one. There is a selection of food from most cultures but it just okay, it gave me the feeling of just another hotel buffet.

Notwithstanding the niggles, which maybe just a personal thing, I would happily stay here again should I be in Medan.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
GSBM, General Manager at Grand Swiss-Belhotel Medan, responded to this review, December 21, 2012

Warmest Greetings from Grand Swiss-Belhotel Medan!

It is with much regret we read about our shortcomings during your recent stay with us.
We ask for your kind understanding and assure you that your comments have been of value to us to provide the best possible standards to our guests at all times.

Rest assured that we have taken serious note of your comments and we will emphasize on training in these specific areas.

We hope this experience will not alter your confidence in Grand Swiss-Belhotel Medan and that you will give us the opportunity of welcoming you again.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

3rd visit in this city and second stayed in this hotel. Arrived with delay, I stepped in to this hotel at 11 pm. Due to administrative issue, my name was not in the list -thankfully the staff was capable to handle this situation, finally I got the room (+1)

The second problem when my stuff were misplaced by banquet staff ( I hold an event that time) - unfortunately the staff already went home after shift changing. The housekeeper I met not help anything and I felt he was hiding since I never saw him anymore (-1), the phone operator has no call courtesy, the perfect word to describe in Bahasa is "nyolot" (-1), but I'm Ok with that since the banquet staff (who help picked and placed the stuff) willing to return to hotel, showed my staff, and apologize. I appreciate the kind of attitude (+1)

I love the room ambiance, the wall decoration are artsy (+1), lamp structure (+1), and the citi view (+1). But the TV channel was unclear (-1) and too bad the massage service closed at 11. (-1)

This hotel really need improvement in customer dining experience. My breakfast is bad as well as the lunch. Food variety and unfresh juice and fruits might tolerable, but your knowledge staff about what they serve is a must. I asked about salad dressing since there is no name tag under it, and what your staff did was she stirred, take a spoonfull, and sniffed it! and it was succesfully dropped my apetite. (-1)
At lunch time I asked to your staff about the inggridient a kind of food (because I have some alliergic), and her confused answer not help any (-1)

Anyway, my event was succesfull, thanks to your staffs who have high response ability to my need (+2)

Room Tip: Since the floor layout a bit confused, try to find room near to lift and of course city view
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
GSBM, General Manager at Grand Swiss-Belhotel Medan, responded to this review, December 19, 2012

Warmest Greetings from Grand Swiss-Belhotel Medan!

It has been our great pleasure to welcome you at Grand Swiss-Belhotel Medan and thank you for taking the time to write us regarding your recent stay with us.

We are very pleased to read that your event was held successfully. Thank you for appreciated the room and facilities that we offered and enjoyed your visit in our hotel.

We appreciate your concern, interest and the time taken to bring these matters to our attention.

We are extremely sorry to read about the lack of service from our staff during your meal times. This does not in any way reflect the usual service level of Grand Swiss-Belhotel Medan. Kindly reset assured that training in regards to guest relations and product knowledge will be carried out to avoid such incident in the future.

We thank you very much for your patronage and look forward to having you back with us at Grand Swiss-Belhotel Medan.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We arrived at Medan airport Late at night and found that the petrol station opposite the entrance to the airport is an unofficial Bluebird Taxi rank. Other cabs may try to pick you up- just make sure the meter is on and you won't get ripped off. Once at the hotel the staff were friendly and most helpful. Our room was spacious and the beds were super comfy. Next morning, breakfast was a buffet with all areas covered. Pool is perfect for lap swimming, as it is the same depth all over.the concierge was helpful in getting us a car and driver to take us to Lake Toba.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
GSBM, General Manager at Grand Swiss-Belhotel Medan, responded to this review, November 18, 2012

Management of Grand Swiss-Belhotel Medan

Been to Grand Swiss-Belhotel Medan? Share your experiences!