“We'll be back!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Nikoi Island

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bintan Island
Nikoi Island
Private Island, Riau Islands Province, Indonesia   |
Ranked #1 of 27 hotels in Bintan Island
Singapore
“We'll be back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

My husband and I recently spent three nights on Nikoi, our second visit in a year. Four words sum up our thoughts about the visit - "We will be back!"

Nikoi took our breath away as much as it did the first time round. The lovely white sand, delicious food, cool air - everything made for a wonderful relaxing experience. If you cannot live with air-conditioning or television, Nikoi is not the place for you. Nikoi is a place to escape the hustle and bustle of city life and the entrapment of modern technology. I had such a relaxing time there I did not want to leave!

Nikoi provided us with the perfect environment to see nature up close. The monitor lizards were big by our city dweller standards but being shy of humans, they did not bother us. We even caught one lurking near a turtle egg nest (due to hatch on 11 May) which was fortunately protected by some netting. A huge spider which spun a web along the path to our villa also fascinated us for quite a while. And not to forget the flora and fauna - the mangrove plants, coconut trees and numerous unidentified plants which made the air so fresh and cool. I loved seeing the stars in the sky at night. As there was minimal artificial light on Nikoi at night, the number of stars was breathtaking.

The weather was perfect when we were there - no rain, sunny but not humid. At night there was a pleasant breeze blowing through the villa which made sleeping easy together with the sound of lapping waves. It was also great going to the pool in the morning - the sun was not too hot and there was a generous wind sweeping over the area.

Our villa number 13 was perfect too. I enjoyed sitting on the swinging bed in the afternoons reading a book and we both enjoyed full body massages twice over two days! The king size bed was very comfortable and the cotton sheets were very luxurious.

The staff were friendly as always and provided great service. The food was fantastic and we were delighted to be served lots of good Indonesian food like nasi lemak, gado gado, beef rendang, chicken satay. The western food was great too and my request for fish instead of tenderloin steak was fulfilled without question. The portions were generous and we were very full after each meal. Considering the quality of the food and the fact that we could have had extra portions, I think the price paid was quite worth it.

There were some areas we thought could be improved on but they in no way marred our experience. Firstly, I noticed that the rubber stoppers on a couple of the water bottles provided to us were a little grubby. Perhaps they should be changed or cleaned more often. Next, while we were having our massage for the first time at the bale, we were disturbed by the loud music coming from a fishing boat nearby. We don't mind the presence of the fishing boats but the music was really too loud. Hopefully the fishermen can be asked to lower the volume of the music they play. Lastly while I was delighted to have a choice of spreads to put on my bread at breakfast, it would have been better if guests were given a separate knife to use for that instead. I was served my bread last and by then I had already used my knife to cut my bacon and eggs. So I wondered if other people had used their 'already-used' knives to dip into the spreads which I do not think is very hygienic.

We are already thinking of making Nikoi an annual getaway. So we'll definitely be back!

Room Tip: Villas 11 to 14 are good for couples.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
relaxedby, Owner at Nikoi Island, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you for your very kind review and your thoughtful suggestions. I have asked our housekeeping department to ensure the bottle stops are clean and my apologies for this. If the fisherman are playing loud music we will send out our staff to ask them to turn it down. Most of them are respectful of this but not all are. Unfortunately, other than this there is not much we can do. We do a lot of work in the local communities through the foundation that we set up and this has earned us a lot of respect but some of the fisherman come from further afield. Your suggestion on the knives a breakfast is a good one and something that we will endeavour to correct. Thanks again for your very kind review.

426 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

The whole Nikoi experience from start to finish was smooth and efficient. From the land transfer;to the next boat to the island. The sea was choppier than expected which made the normal 15 minute crossing slightly longer.
The principles of sustainability and eco-friendliness are not lost in the hotels desire to provide a luxurious tropical island break.
The villas are stunning driftwood palaces, with ocean views and privacy. All next to the golden beaches.The central four poster bed with a mosquito net canopy allows you to sleep with the doors open to the sea breeze.
The food was plentiful and the menu set to avoid wastage. There was always a way to accommodate dietary requirements as necessary.
Two dinning rooms allowed those without children to be separate if wished. However when we were there , there were a number of young families. The children had a wonderful time and the staff so helpful and friendly towards them.
It did not deter from our time away as a couple. There were plenty of quiet corners to find if you really had to leave your gorgeous villa.
Thank you to all the staff for making our stay so relaxed and special. I hope we can go back again and I would recommend it to adults and young families alike.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
relaxedby, Owner at Nikoi Island, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thanks for your very kind review. It is very pleasing to read that you enjoyed the concept and appreciated our efforts to be as sustainable and responsible as possible. I know our staff will also greatly appreciate reading your favourable comments about the service. Tks very much for taking the time to review Nikoi. We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back some day.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Just got back from a short getaway to Nikoi, and 2 nights is certainly not enough!

We fell in love with the island at first sight, it is simply luxurious yet retaining its natural beauty. Everything in the island is beautiful, the pool, beach, our houses, everything looks exactly the same in pictures shown, if not even better! The waters was very clear.

What makes this an experience to remember is the staff here. Service is exceptionally good, comparable to 5 star hotel like Capella Singapore but with a personal touch. They are always so warm and friendly, chatting up with you and even accompanying us to snorkel and kayak as my sis is not a good swimmer. I was sad to leave on my last day partly because of the friends we've made.

I would like to give a big thank you to all the staff and the management who have trained them so well and their efforts. I'm sure there's definitely a team behind the scenes working hard that we did not meet.

The moment we reached bintan to the moment we left was amazing. We are very well taken care of and the entire trip was very smooth. Great communication among the staff.

A great plus to the room will be providing coffee & tea making facilities as some guests might want to have a hot drink late at night.

Overall, it was an unbelievably amazing beach getaway that I can't stop raving about it to my family. Will definitely be back again!

• Stayed March 2013
relaxedby, Owner at Nikoi Island, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thank you for your glowing review. Our staff will be particularly pleased to read your comments. It does look like you had some beautiful weather whilst you were there.

The suggestion of tea and coffee making facilities is noted and is something we are working on.

Thanks for taking the time to write your review it is greatly appreciated. We do hope to welcome you back some day. Thanks again.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

This was my first trip to Nikoi and it did not disappoint! We spent 4 nights here and had an amazing time. The thatched houses are beautiful with the open air design and natural wood; each one is spaced out enough with lush vegetation to feel private. The swimming pool overlooking the ocean was fantastic; a perfect place to relax (or get a bit of exercise). We enjoyed the grass tennis courts first thing in the morning when it wasn't too hot.

However, what makes this place so special are the people who work there. They are friendly, helpful....just wonderful. The food is amazing, as well.

Given the quality of the house, food, service and beautiful location it is worth the money.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
relaxedby, Owner at Nikoi Island, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thanks very much for your very kind review. Great to read you felt is was value for money and also very pleasing to read you enjoyed the food and service. We look forward to welcoming you back some day.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

This was our first trip to Nikoi and it will not be our last. The whole experience from landing on Bintan to arriving on Nikoi was first class. The staff were exceptional and really made our stay special. The wooden houses are truly fabulous - we stayed with friends in number 15. The food was excellent and the choice very impressive. Would like to say a special thank you to Juliana, Pardi and Samuel and of course to Tony. We will be back!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
relaxedby, Owner at Nikoi Island, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Thanks for your very kind review. Great to hear you enjoyed your stay so much. I will pass on your comments to the staff you named. We look forward to welcoming you back some day. Thanks again.
Bale
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

We are just back from Nikoi where we spent 3 days and 2 nights. The island is beautiful , nature preserved and the wood houses and facilities are well integrated in the nature . The rooms are huge and furnished with style , all offer a view on the sea. The staff was very friendly and discrete and the food was really excellent, being French I would rate the food with one star Michelin . This place is definitely worth the price , which is quite reasonnable compared to Singapore rates , some would say it's expensive for Indonesia but what you get ( a peaceful , quiet and exclusive place) is definitely worth the money.
The only regret is that we tried snorkeling but the visibility was poor due to the season ( currents , tides ) and from what I,ve seen there is not much variety under the water as the area is suffering pollution from the neighbour islands. The Nikoi staff and foundation are working on it and I wish them good luck as they are struggling against decades of bad behaviour and ignorance.
The Nikoi effort is being environment friendly is admirable .

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
relaxedby, Owner at Nikoi Island, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Thanks for your very kind review. I am sure our chef will be thrilled to read of your Michelin one star rating for our food. Great to also read that you loved the tranquility and exclusivity of the island and that given this Nikoi was definitely worth it.

With regards to your comments about snorkeling at this time of the year we agree that at this time of the year visibility for snorkelling and divering is indeed poor due to rougher seas we get at this time of year and the unusually large amount of rain we have had lately. At this time of year the conditions are better suited to sailing and windsurfing. From March through to November the visibility is much better. We do have some of the best reefs in the area but overfishing and coastal run off has had an impact. Nevertheless their is a good variety and some interesting things to see when visibility is better. There are certainly better reefs further failed for those willing to travel further. Again many thanks for your review and your high praise.
Helsinki
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Having read all the reviews here we (family with children 7 and 10 years) had very high expectations. However they were met completely. We loved every minute and worth every penny. I will not repeat the praise from earlier reviews but I try to point out two minor cons.

1. Ocean has drips of oil/tar that tends to stick to you and your swimwear. Nothing serious but don't take your Vilebrequins with you. I guess this problem is not specific to Nikoi but the area around Singapore/Riau Archipelago
2. Fishermen go out on sea early and diesel engine noises might wake you up early (not a major disturbance to us)

Despite this we loved it and will be back. Food was good quality (not gourmet but it would not fit this kind of place anyways) and also children's meals were properly hand prepared.

There is some "wild life" on island but to my understanding none of them are poisonous. Some lizards, snakes and large bats to mention the few.

There is also a tennis court and a small football (sand) field.

We liked the relaxed barefoot luxury. We have earlier stayed in 5-star resorts but did not miss aircon, jacuzzis, iPods, 50" TVs, fancy restaurants, stiff butlers etc. Only stress you'll have is try to remember to get yourself to the restaurant for meals ;-)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
relaxedby, Owner at Nikoi Island, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Great to hear you enjoyed your stay. Sorry to hear about tar. We had an incident recently where a shipped dumped their waste engine oil overboard and some of it washed up on our shores. We do out best to try and clean this up and report it to local authorities. Unfortunately this despicable act by ships is difficult to police. It only ever happens from Dec to Feb. Tks very much for the review.

Been to Nikoi Island? Share your experiences!