Having read all the reviews here we (family with children 7 and 10 years) had very high expectations. However they were met completely. We loved every minute and worth every penny. I will not repeat the praise from earlier reviews but I try to point out two minor cons.
1. Ocean has drips of oil/tar that tends to stick to you and your swimwear. Nothing serious but don't take your Vilebrequins with you. I guess this problem is not specific to Nikoi but the area around Singapore/Riau Archipelago
2. Fishermen go out on sea early and diesel engine noises might wake you up early (not a major disturbance to us)
Despite this we loved it and will be back. Food was good quality (not gourmet but it would not fit this kind of place anyways) and also children's meals were properly hand prepared.
There is some "wild life" on island but to my understanding none of them are poisonous. Some lizards, snakes and large bats to mention the few.
There is also a tennis court and a small football (sand) field.
We liked the relaxed barefoot luxury. We have earlier stayed in 5-star resorts but did not miss aircon, jacuzzis, iPods, 50" TVs, fancy restaurants, stiff butlers etc. Only stress you'll have is try to remember to get yourself to the restaurant for meals ;-)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nikoi Island is a 15 hectare private island just 85kms from Singapore and has long been regarded as one of the most stunning islands on this unspoiled coast. Ringed with white sandy beaches and coral reefs of spectacular color and diversity, Nikoi is for those seeking a true private island experience and the comfort of a destination dedicated to responsible tourism practices. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Nikoi Island Bintan Island, Riau Islands
- Nikoi Island Hotel Bintan