My wife & I came to Nikoi in mid December 2012 and spent 6 wonderful days of pure rest and relaxation. It was like finding heaven on earth.
The cottages are superb. Built of wood, they are very open and nicely decorated with very nice cross ventilation. The cottages are very spacious, well maintained and clean with sleeping area on the first floor (very comfortable bed), and a deck with chair and hammock on the ground floor. There is a fan above the bed which kept us cool at night. The lack of TV and radio and not having any connection to email or phone (by choice, I turned off my cell phone) was fantastic. It is incredible how much one feels reinvigorated after such a break from the world. We had a nice view of the sea and it was very quiet and peaceful at all times. In fact the only noise we heard apart from the waves and the birds were the occasional local fishing boats that came by in the morning to check their nets.
We were initially worried that we would be bothered by mosquitos, and brought along some mosquito-repellant lotion, as Nikoi rightly does not fog nor spread chemicals to reduce the mosquitos population. However, we were pleasantly surprised to never have any issues with mosquitos. The natural mosquito repellant method used at Nikoi is really very efficient and we went back to Singapore without once using our mosquito repellant cream!
The staff are really very nice, warm and genuinely helpful. The service and attentiveness of the staff is exceptional. They cannot be praised enough. My wife and I loved the experience of talking to them and their patience in trying to teach us some phrases in Indonesian.
Despite being vegetarian, the food was good and we did have choices and the cook and serving staff always made an effort to modify the daily offering to offer us vegetarian food. We also could choose vegetarian dishes from the menu card which had a decent choice, though after 6 days, the choice did become a bit repetitive.
For those who want to do activities, Nikoi offers small sail boats, canoes, diving and of course swimming. There is also a tennis court and games etc. for children. If you want to do nothing, then you can walk on the beach, relax and read, and when thirsty get a nice drink from the bar!
We would definitely recommend Nikoi to anyone who is looking for a relaxing holiday near Singapore, away from the crowds on a beautiful secluded island. For us it was like paradise and we will definitely be coming back as soon as we can!!
Couple of suggestions that would make our stay even better :-)
1. Provide a small broom in the room for use by the guests if the want to. When we came back from the beach in the evening, we sometimes tracked sand into the cottage, and it would have been nice to broom it out. I know we could have called the staff to do this, but it seemed trivial to call the staff just for this, especially since we knew they would be coming in the morning to clean the cottage. I realize that not all guests would want to sweep their room, but having a broom on hand would give at least a choice.
2. Provide a clothes line or similar in the bathroom. When one comes back from swimming, it would be nice to have somewhere to easily hang the swimsuit, towel etc. Not having a clothes line meant we were forced to use the balcony balustrade or chairs in the room, which is not very nice.
3. For vegetarian guests, offering choice of yoghurt, lentils and maybe some cheese would be nice to complement the current choice of food. Having jam at breakfast would also be nice.
4. Having a small soap dispenser next to sink in addition to the one next to the shower would be great.
It is really nice that Nikoi provides eco-friendly soap, shampoo and conditioner in the bathroom. However there is unfortunately no soap dispenser next to the sink so one has to reach over to the shower every time one wants to wash ones hands.
5. It would be nice if a skin cream/ body lotion could be provided in the bathroom to help moisturize one’s skin.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
February 2, 2013
Thank you for your very kind review. Great to hear you relished the opportunity to disconnect whilst you were away.
Report response as inappropriate
We are very pleased with a biological mosquito control program that we are trialing and seeing some great results in reducing the mosquito population without using any sprays.
Nice to hear you tried to learn some bahasa - I always think this is a wonderful way to gain the respect of the locals.
Thank you for your suggestions. We previously had brooms in the room but I think they were too attractive and kept disappearing! We will look into how we can reinstate this.
Unfortunately we are able to source yoghurt locally - dairy products are not part of the typical diet in Indonesia and whilst you could buy them in the larger cities where there are more westerners it is difficult to find them in Bintan. For the same reason we can only buy long life milk and not fresh milk.
We have also taken note of your other helpful suggestions and see how we can implement these.
Thanks again for the review and your suggestions.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.