“Total Relaxation!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Nikoi Island

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bintan Island
Nikoi Island
Private Island, Riau Islands Province, Indonesia   |
Ranked #1 of 27 hotels in Bintan Island
“Total Relaxation!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Was at Nikoi last weekend, and I must say it's an awesome 3D2N trip. The journey started with staff greeting us at the ferry terminal, assisting us with the VIP transfers. Extremely friendly driver who make a stop for us to take pictures as we were much ahead of others.
The island is beautiful and the food is good. The place looks exactly like the pictures on the Nikoi webpage. The room is unexpectedly clean, especially it's not enclosed and we were expecting crawlies, and probably sand. The only concern we had was the crawlies droppings on the floor after we return from dinner (but I guess this is unavoidable, since the hut is surrounded by nature).
We like the fact there there is no TV, phone or air-con or even some amenities. It's a great place to just relax and zonk out and of cause spend quality time with your loved ones.

We had a great time and we will definitely return.

To add on, all the staff were extremely helpful, and the service level was outstanding (from check in to meal time to ferry transfer) !

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
relaxedby, Owner at Nikoi Island, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thanks for your kind review. Great to hear you enjoyed your stay so much. Also very pleasing to read your comments about the food and the service. We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back some day.

426 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I have been living in Asia since 1992 when I moved to Beijing. Since then, I have lived in Hong Kong, Seoul and Kuala Lumpur and travelled a fair bit in the region, staying at all kinds of upmarket and downmarket beach resorts in my time. I can safely say that Nikoi Island is absolutely the best resort I have ever stayed in. It is truly relaxing, wonderfully designed, environmentally sensitive and staffed by helpful and delightfully low-key staff. My kids, my parents and I were thoroughly relaxed after just three nights there.
Reading through all these reviews, I also understand why some people really don't like it - because it is proper island life, and you can get splinters and the food is not five-star haute cuisine. Also, the island is really far away (that is part of the charm for me....) and the Internet access is not brilliant (also a plus for me).
For me, Nikoi fits in that wonderful space between the glitzy upmarket Four Seasons resorts of this region and the backpacker beaches ridden by sand flies (not a sand fly or mosquito to be found on Nikoi, just wonderful beaches and mangrove swamps to explore on the far side of the island). For me, the price is totally justified on account of the total peace and relaxation of the place and I dont mind in the slightest that I don't have a minibar or a shower cap. I will be back as soon as I can.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
relaxedby, Owner at Nikoi Island, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Thanks for your very kind review. It is always wonderful to read someone who values the concept. As you say Nikoi will not suit everyone's taste and that is fine by us we did not want to compromise on what we wanted to create. We look forward to welcoming you back some day. Thanks again.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

My wife & I came to Nikoi in mid December 2012 and spent 6 wonderful days of pure rest and relaxation. It was like finding heaven on earth.
The cottages are superb. Built of wood, they are very open and nicely decorated with very nice cross ventilation. The cottages are very spacious, well maintained and clean with sleeping area on the first floor (very comfortable bed), and a deck with chair and hammock on the ground floor. There is a fan above the bed which kept us cool at night. The lack of TV and radio and not having any connection to email or phone (by choice, I turned off my cell phone) was fantastic. It is incredible how much one feels reinvigorated after such a break from the world. We had a nice view of the sea and it was very quiet and peaceful at all times. In fact the only noise we heard apart from the waves and the birds were the occasional local fishing boats that came by in the morning to check their nets.

We were initially worried that we would be bothered by mosquitos, and brought along some mosquito-repellant lotion, as Nikoi rightly does not fog nor spread chemicals to reduce the mosquitos population. However, we were pleasantly surprised to never have any issues with mosquitos. The natural mosquito repellant method used at Nikoi is really very efficient and we went back to Singapore without once using our mosquito repellant cream!

The staff are really very nice, warm and genuinely helpful. The service and attentiveness of the staff is exceptional. They cannot be praised enough. My wife and I loved the experience of talking to them and their patience in trying to teach us some phrases in Indonesian.

Despite being vegetarian, the food was good and we did have choices and the cook and serving staff always made an effort to modify the daily offering to offer us vegetarian food. We also could choose vegetarian dishes from the menu card which had a decent choice, though after 6 days, the choice did become a bit repetitive.

For those who want to do activities, Nikoi offers small sail boats, canoes, diving and of course swimming. There is also a tennis court and games etc. for children. If you want to do nothing, then you can walk on the beach, relax and read, and when thirsty get a nice drink from the bar!

We would definitely recommend Nikoi to anyone who is looking for a relaxing holiday near Singapore, away from the crowds on a beautiful secluded island. For us it was like paradise and we will definitely be coming back as soon as we can!!

Couple of suggestions that would make our stay even better :-)
1. Provide a small broom in the room for use by the guests if the want to. When we came back from the beach in the evening, we sometimes tracked sand into the cottage, and it would have been nice to broom it out. I know we could have called the staff to do this, but it seemed trivial to call the staff just for this, especially since we knew they would be coming in the morning to clean the cottage. I realize that not all guests would want to sweep their room, but having a broom on hand would give at least a choice.

2. Provide a clothes line or similar in the bathroom. When one comes back from swimming, it would be nice to have somewhere to easily hang the swimsuit, towel etc. Not having a clothes line meant we were forced to use the balcony balustrade or chairs in the room, which is not very nice.

3. For vegetarian guests, offering choice of yoghurt, lentils and maybe some cheese would be nice to complement the current choice of food. Having jam at breakfast would also be nice.

4. Having a small soap dispenser next to sink in addition to the one next to the shower would be great.
It is really nice that Nikoi provides eco-friendly soap, shampoo and conditioner in the bathroom. However there is unfortunately no soap dispenser next to the sink so one has to reach over to the shower every time one wants to wash ones hands.

5. It would be nice if a skin cream/ body lotion could be provided in the bathroom to help moisturize one’s skin.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
relaxedby, Owner at Nikoi Island, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Thank you for your very kind review. Great to hear you relished the opportunity to disconnect whilst you were away.

We are very pleased with a biological mosquito control program that we are trialing and seeing some great results in reducing the mosquito population without using any sprays.

Nice to hear you tried to learn some bahasa - I always think this is a wonderful way to gain the respect of the locals.

Thank you for your suggestions. We previously had brooms in the room but I think they were too attractive and kept disappearing! We will look into how we can reinstate this.

Unfortunately we are able to source yoghurt locally - dairy products are not part of the typical diet in Indonesia and whilst you could buy them in the larger cities where there are more westerners it is difficult to find them in Bintan. For the same reason we can only buy long life milk and not fresh milk.

We have also taken note of your other helpful suggestions and see how we can implement these.

Thanks again for the review and your suggestions.
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I went to Nikoi as a side trip while in Singapore on business. I didnt know what to expect but I knew it was going to be relaxing and the pictures looked amazing. In the months before, I had been emailing Nikoi trying to get a villa as they were all booked up. After a number of email exchanges, when one came up last minute, a 3 bedroom villa, they offered it to me at the 1 bedroom price as we were only 2 people which was a very nice gesture and a great start to what turned out to be a magical experience.

It was a short high speed ferry south to Bintan, Indonesia, then a 1hr or so across the island in a taxi to small dock and a 40ft boat across to the island. The journey was an adventure through villages and away from the tourist traps I was looking to escape from. It was perfect.

As we approached the island, I realized I had made the right decision. It was like what I imagined Gilligan's Island in size, white sandy beaches, villas lining the shore and turquoise blue waters just like the pictures. It was exactly what I was looking for.

The staff welcomed us as we arrived, we did the paperwork and was shown around. At one end a beautiful rock outcropping with a pool built into it and poolside bar, on the other end white sandy beaches, volleyball nets and the grand open air dining rooms with the most amazing dining room table made out of one giant naturally fallen tree that I understand was found islands away and dragged back to the island. It was like nothing I had seen. Our villa was also open air and amazing, like Robinson Crusoe but in style. Of course this is supposed to be rustic so open air, natural setting, no telephones or tvs, just breathtaking views and relaxing surroundings. Upstairs was the master bedroom which was very cool. The villas were all made with wood found fallen in the surrounding islands and were very well designed with lots of cool places to relax and soak it all in.

The toughest part about being at Nikoi was deciding when to eat next. They gave us a few hour window and that was the only decision of the day, when to eat next. Fresh coconut, not problem, let us climb a tree and knock one down for you. A massage tomorrow at 2, no problem, wait shouldnt you write that down? But as planned, at 1:45 two ladies walked up to the villa and set up on the beach front shelter for side by side massages. At Nikoi, there is nothing but time, relaxation and reflection. Imagine that perfect marketing shot with all the beach chairs and umbrellas lining the white sandy beach with the perfect waters in the distant. Now imagine it with no crowds, and barely anyone around. I swear there were more staff than guests.

I would recommend and I often do, Nikoi to anyone seeking to escape from the tourist traps and crowded resorts. For those seeking to escape all the gadgets, commercialization and bombardment of communications. This is a true escape but without giving up the comforts and great food. Oh and the food. Many traditional Indonesian dishes combined with some more western likes. Imagine sitting in an open dining room, with beauty all around you, your feet cooled in the white sand floor and a long what seemed to be like 40+ foot natural table made out of one piece of wood and friendly staff who only wanted to see you happy. Paradise for sure. I would be shipwrecked here any day.

I still think of Nikoi and cant wait to return. If you go, dont expect tvs, high tech gadgets and same old same old buffets and crowded beaches. This is an escape like no other, and one never to forget.

Thank you Nikoi. I will be back!

P.S I traveled to Nikoi in April 2009 not 2012

Room Tip: They are all good as there are only Villas along the shoreline
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
relaxedby, Owner at Nikoi Island, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thanks for your very kind and detailed review. You have provided a very neat summary of what Nikoi is about. It is nice to know it was a magical experience for you. With usually no more than 50 guests on the island our staff outnumber guests 2:1. It is that sense of space and privacy that we wanted to achieve so great to read that you recognised this for what is was - a true escape from the maddening crowds and overdeveloped resorts. We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back some day. Thanks again.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We went in Oct when my in-laws were visiting from Australia for my wife's birthday and the service to make the days special is so far above my expectations, I think I have been spoilt for life. We have visited Nikoi before with our family and friends, and always had the most amazing time, but the extra effort the staff put in for the birthday was just wonderful. You will not find a better escape with out flying from Singapore.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
relaxedby, Owner at Nikoi Island, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you for your very kind review. Great to hear you had an enjoyable birthday. Our staff always enjoy helping celebrate a birthday. Thanks again.
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We loved Nikoi Island. I haven't stopped raving about it to friends, family and work colleagues since!

Our villa was gorgeous. It seemed ridiculous with such a spacious place for just the two of us! I loved the way it was set out - open air, high ceilings, day beds, outdoor and indoor shower, and the beach literally right out front.

We took full advantage of all the free activities you can do on the island: snorkelling, kayaking, exploring, jetty jumping, tennis, swimming in the pool, swimming in the ocean, snoozing, board games and watching movies in the evening in one of the bars.

I thought the food was delicious; fresh, tasty and always different. The only thing is that the cost of wine was too much! I couldn't afford to buy a bottle at S$50, but would have loved one to go with our delicious meals. However, the cocktails were an ample substitute!

The staff are lovely and more than happy to accommodate anything you need. We also enjoyed their company - one of them, Jimmy I think was his name was always chatty and built up a great rapport with many of the guests. He would pull out his guitar every now and then and play for us around the fire.

I can't wait to go back to Nikoi - I'm planning our next trip! Yes, it's expensive, but worth every dollar.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
relaxedby, Owner at Nikoi Island, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Thanks for your lovely review. Great to hear you enjoyed your stay and took full advantage of all the activities on the island. Unfortunately wine prices in this part of the world are very expensive due to the freight and very high taxes and duties. We do try and keep prices reasonable and our prices are typically around what you would pay in a restaurant in Singapore despite the higher cost of freight and duty.

Also great to hear our staff looked after you. Jimmy is indeed a budding musician who works behind the bar and does not need much encouragement to get his guitar out.

We are the first to admit that Nikoi is not cheap but neither is operating on a remote island. It is very satisfying to read that you thought it was worth every dollar. We do look forward to welcoming you back.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I wonder what the rave was all about. This is in short a very basic resort, with good marketing no doubt, so that it sounds like it's a natural paradise in the tropics. They came up with a brilliant excuse to not, as the owners say, 'give you things you don't really need', all in the name of preserving the rustic natural charm of the place. Luxury without the creature comforts - if you are beginning to catch my drift. Mosquito nets with holes, broken rope swings... If people are really prepared to pay for this kind of rustic charm, then they should at least be forewarned. The food is very average, and mostly catered for the western visitors rather than showcasing genuine Indonesian cuisine. And there's no choice to it. Ok, you can make a request and see what the chef can do to accommodate. For me, paying S$30 per person per meal for what is essentially a simple set meal is too much. To add to our misery, due to the very rough and rustic nature of the resort, my 5 yr old daughter ended our holiday prematurely by having wooden splinters implanted all over the soles of her feet from the many wooden structures throughout the resort. The staff is nice enough though, it must be said. But the management refused to refund us for the wasted night we paid in advance. They offered to give us our night back the next time, but we won't bother. Don't forget there's also the 2 ferry and speedboat charges that all add up to a pretty exorbitant bill. It baffles me why would people rave about this place, with all the choices we have in this part of the world.

Room Tip: Any room with air-condition and no mosquitos.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
relaxedby, Owner at Nikoi Island, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Thanks for your review and the feedback. In responding to your review we decided to do something a little unusual and crowd source a response to your review from our fans on our Facebook page (nikoiisland). We decided to do this as we felt it would be useful if you heard a response from many others who have visited as it can be difficult when you are so closely involved in a hotel to respond to reviews such as yours. So whilst the has been written by someone who has no connection with Nikoi the sentiments are the same as ours. We have had to make a few amendments for it to comply with TA policies.

Dear Perry,

I'm sad that you're holiday on Nikoi Island wasn't the paradise it's supposed to be. My team and I team do all we can to make Nikoi a place to fall in love with. Therefore your comment surprised and saddened us. While I can't change your holiday anymore, I do hope your little girls feet are healed. Splinters really are painful! I will personally check the mosquito nets too, nothing worse than a bad night sleep on a holiday. It's true that we value the rustic charm of the island above luxury amenities of the resort, although I always try to find the perfect balance. I'm sorry if this balance wasn't what you expected.

I hope that besides the bad experiences, you did have a good time with your family.

Yours sincerely,

Tony Cheung

Been to Nikoi Island? Share your experiences!