We visited Nikoi in January 2011 after winning a contest on Nikoi's Facebook page. I had seen stunning pictures from Nikoi on Flickr and couldn't imagine how any island could be so beautiful. Well, let's just say the pictures hardly did it justice :)
From the time the ferry from Singapore reaches Bintan, you can feel the luxury. Exclusive immigration, a car waiting to take you on a hilly ride, to an exclusive jetty, furnished with sofas despite the short halt. The speed boat ride to Nikoi is extremely breezy and in our case even more so because of the weather in Jan. The reception at Nikoi is warm & welcoming, as though you've come home to this lovely little island.
The chalets are beautiful. We got a clear view of the sea from ours. The main room is on the second level and the open concept swept us off our feet. Everything feels so natural (the barks from the trees on the island now form the foundation of the chalets) and eco-friendly, it's amazing.
We spent hours sitting in our balcony and lounging on the swing & massage bed downstairs, gazing at the sea and reading books. There's a jetty on the other side of the island that is absolutely spectacular and probably the most magical part of the island. I won't describe it here, but trust me, Nikoi is incomplete without that jetty.
The staff is both friendly & cheerful. The only drawback I felt was the food. I know it must be a lot of trouble shipping food from indonesia / Singapore, but all the meals were predetermined and for my vegetarian self, more or less the same.
All in all, Nikoi's surely worth a visit if you're in the vicinity of Indonesia. If you're interested, I have pictures & more details about our travel experience on my blog at http://theshootingstar.wordpress.com/2011/02/13/nikoi-island
- Also Known As:
- Nikoi Island Hotel
- Nikoi Island Bintan
- Nikoi Island Hotel Bintan
- Nikoi Island Bintan Island, Riau Islands
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nikoi Island is a 15 hectare private island just 85kms from Singapore and has long been regarded as one of the most stunning islands on this unspoiled coast. Ringed with white sandy beaches and coral reefs of spectacular color and diversity, Nikoi is for those seeking a true private island experience and the comfort of a destination dedicated to responsible tourism practices. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Asiatravel.com Holdings so you can book your Nikoi Island reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.