Disappointed. Lovely resort, great setting, but not the 5 star holiday that the price would imply.
We spent a week at Club Med Bintan, 5-12 October.
The major issue for us was the deficient mini club.
We had 3 kids with us; 1, 4 and 5 years old. We'd hoped that our two eldest could be entertained for a portion of our week-long holiday at the club. We'd didn’t want to leave them at the mini club unhappy, so soon gave up trying.
The main problem was not the club's facilities, which in our opinion were ideal, but the lack of a couple of bubbly, pro-active personalities, to recruit, entertain and stimulate the kids. This was badly lacking. The mini club team appeared very passive and uninterested. There were a couple of friendly GOs, but on the whole the mini club team seemed lost.
In addition, club med “elf 'n safety” rules dictate that there is actually very little to do for 4-5 year olds. We realise you need rules as guidance – but in our view it should always be possible for a parent to sign a disclaimer, so that they can take their 4 year old on a boat/kayak or fire an arrow etc if they are willing to take full responsibility. This isn’t the case.
As it was, our 4 & 5 year old weren’t allowed to swim in the main pool, so had to swim in mini club pool (depth 0.5m), with armbands on, even though both of them can swim, unaided, perfectly. This did not help attract them to the mini club!
- The GOs seemed to lack motivation, appearing tired and aloof (perhaps due to end of season?)
- As already mentioned on this site: rooms were shabby; and for what it would cost to rectify, this should just be done.
- A foul smell seemed to linger constantly in the ground floor bar area – we can’t have been the only ones to notice?
On the plus side:
- All resort staff, cleaners, gardeners, waiters etc. were very attentive and friendly (more so than the GOs)
- Food was fantastic - Simon Lau does an excellent job.
Would we go on another Club Med holiday? No - unless we could be guaranteed of better mini club personnel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Island of Bintan to the south of Singapore is full of history, marked by fallen empires. Its tranquil bays were long used by the Orang Laut pirates as a refuge. This is where Club Med Bintan Island, a haven of tranquility and refinement combining modernity with Asian tradition, now nestles. From the terrace of the Bar, feast your eyes on the mass of lapis-lazuli blue, mother of pearl and emerald, from the pool to the lush gardens. Nearby, Ria Bintan Golf Course is also a golfer's heaven. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Club Med so you can book your Club Med Bintan Island reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Club Med Ria Bintan Hotel Bintan
- Club Med Bintan Island Riau Islands
- Bintan Club Med