“Blot on the landscape” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Club Med Bintan Island

Save Saved
You added Club Med Bintan Island to your Saves list
Club Med Bintan Island
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Jl Site A11 | Lagoi, Bintan Utara, Riau Islands Province 12920, Indonesia   |
Ranked #3 of 27 Hotels in Bintan Island
Singapore, Singapore
“Blot on the landscape”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Recently stayed at ClubMed Bintan. Had a very relaxing and enjoyable time. The only blot on the landscape were some of the male "GOs", or Gentils Organisateurs (Genteel Organizers) who were basically rude, unfriendly, unapproachable and aloof to any of the paying guests the whole time we were there. Given the time some of these people spent down at the Mata Hari bar you could easily mistake them for guests rather than staff. I can not believe that was the intention. The other "GOs" and resort staff were very attentive and friendly, it is a shame a few peacocks, more concerned about their self image, detracted from the overall excellent experience.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Hampton, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

This was our third Club Med holiday and they continue to get better. With 3 active boys (12,9,7) we they get plenty of activities to do and allow us all to relax and enjoy the holiday.
The food is great and allows us to try many different styles.
The transfers at both ends are amazing, above and beyond what we expected making it effortless.
The Go's, lead by Mei are amazing:
Golf - Wayan, Bjorn and Rob
Boutique - Jemmie

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

The rooms were as you would expect - barely 3 star, but the beach and pools are beautiful, and the activities plentiful if you wish to get involved. The best thing for us was the restaurant staff. We have a child requiring a strict gluten free diet, and the chefs made an effort to come to our table and speak to him at every meal. They went to great lengths to prepare anything he asked for, and completely understood the need to cook things separately and avoid contamination. He felt incredibly special and we felt confident that he was being fed safely, even when at kids club and not under our direct supervision.

Room Tip: We had adjoining rooms on the top floor at the far end. A bit of a walk to the main building, but ve...
Setagaya-ku, Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Dear Mei and GO Team, I hope all guys are going well. Thanks to your hospitality we could spend such a stunning week in this Club Med village at Bintan. Everything was just perfect while some drizzling or shower was noted. But the weather really did not matter greatly because this is a CLUB MED! All was inclusive - superb pals namely GOs first of all, delicious foods, excellent nature, also can expect to meet chatting with nice-guy GMs world-wide.....and then of course must never forget amazing shows, attractions and various (well, sometimes looking bit weird – LOL!), performances are seen every day and everywhere, naturally dancing together!! On behalf of the GMs from Japan exclusively I would like to say thanks to Leo. Leo took a great care in playing tennis - i.e., modifying the play style, how to manage games smartly by showing many different ways. I can say he is the best tennis coach ever. Apart from tennis and the other landsports, he amused us a lot, lot - joking with humor, magic, card playing, giving us lots of even stereotyped jokes in Japanese as well as singing Japanese songs (how amazing!!). Village Chief, Mei was such a nice person, and the other GOs were excellent – Naomi, Sally and Meida, such beautiful gals ever...thanks a lot!! Sorry because I cannot spell all the GOs names here. But let me promise…I will be there again!! Cannot wait for next year!!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

I had a good relaxing holiday. The GOs tried very hard to make it a memorable stay. My four year old had a great time and my two year old is happy in my most places, so it didn't disappoint. The mini/petit club staff deserve credit for their role in our kids having a good time.

Getting to and from the airport at Changi was easy and well organised. Pay the extra SGD20 for the ferry if you have kids. If you have to spend more than an hour at the Singapore end waiting I wouldn't recommend it.

Make sure you have enough US dollars for 8 day visa (i.e. 25). If you are staying that long.

The beach was a pleasant surprise: clean, quiet and surprisingly the bar on the beach was empty or near empty in the late afternoon. Suggest a drink there as the sun goes down.

Our room was basic. Bed good and shower strong (two important issues for me). My wife checked out the more expensive room and felt that it wasn't worth it.

The food (almost entirely buffet) was not great and the atmosphere of the dinning area reminded me of a refectory at a boarding school (i.e large and noisy). Having said that I didn't go hungry. The kids gorged on nuggets, pizza, fruit and ice cream ... They could have eaten better but it was a holiday.

The wine was not that great. It tasted better after drinking cocktails.

The comments on I read on Trip Adviser about the place needing a refurb I concur with. The place is tired and would have been stunning in the early 90s. The sun lounges are past their best, the bikes and gym equipment (exercise bikes not working) should just be replaced.

My wife had a mani/pedicure and was impressed with the day spa.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Thank you Club Med Bintan, Mei and GOTeam for such a beautiful time. I recently took 30 friends and Clients to Club Med Bintan for a seminar/holiday experience. This is my second time to Club Med Bintan (and about the 5th Club Med visit overall) and Bintan was great the first time - this trip was event BETTER. Our group mainly spent 5 nights - I stayed on and was there for a total of 7. Special mention I'd like to make for their 'way above even the GO standard or caring and kindness' to Sally D (Groups Manager) who consistently went out of her way to ensure everything and anything we wanted (even that we hadn't even though of) was there for us and our experience was well beyond impressive - every single person in my group (event the 4 kids) got to know, appreciate and love Sally D for her brilliance (even on her day off). She is truly an example of all that a GO means to me when I visit Club Med. I couldn't have imagined our trip being as good without Sally D being there. Another GO who shares totally in making our trip so wonderful is Michael (Landsports Supervisor). Michael was the GO who escorted me to my room at arrival and from that moment on did anything and everything he could to ensure we had all the help, support and kindness needed to make it a great adventure and amazing holiday. Again - he went out of his way to check in and arrange for our group to be able to enjoy themselves and learn at my seminar without any worrying about arrangements for anything we needed. He's truly another example of all the I hold a GO to stand for.

I didn't get to meet Mei (CDV/GM) in the first few days - there was a lot going on at the time we were there - and am very happy that we connected during the end of my trip as she is lovely and such a pleasure to talk with. She took personal time out to speak with many of my group about their experience and ultimately making it even better in doing so.

Other special mentions need to go to (I hope when you're there these GOs are still there as they make the trip even better). Marco (Entertainment Mgr) for his energy, events and putting me through my paces during the Director skit on stage. Rob (Golf Pro) for great acting during the shows and also for recognising our group around and taking the time to connect and care during the nights - also for making one of our junior Members feel so special and 'grown up' during the Casino night. Josh (Landsports) again for connecting - not just because he's a fellow Aussie - because that's what great GOs do. Bjorn (Golf Pro) for recognising me and a few others from last year and taking the time to connect and make us feel special and appreciated. Chelsea (Circus) for taking time to hang out - connect and support us anytime she could. And of course, all the Team in the Boutique specially Francesca who went out of her way to help one of my Members, way above and beyond the call of duty.

Overall a brilliant trip. The one problem with Club Med is dealing with their country based sales offices - so far, I'v experienced them being so tied up in their own rules and regulations that it makes it hard to choose Club Med. BUT when you get to the Village and have such an incredible experience it makes it worthwhile.

I'm coming back with my third group in a few weeks and already have my 4th and 5th planned for 2014 as well as my birthday party. If you're wondering about Bintan - don't - just go!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

Tones of activities for kids n adults. My kids enjoyed themselves with the activities planned for them at the mini club. The GOs are amazing n tales great care of the kids. Every night the performances are fantastic. Show was put up by staff but it was truly very entertaining for adults and children. All staff are very dedicated. At the buffet, Food variety is great n taste is great too. Every day menu changes.

• Stayed September 2013

Been to Club Med Bintan Island? Share your experiences!