“Beautiful resort. Awesome staff. Great service. A beach haven for families.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Club Med Bintan Island

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bintan Island
Club Med Bintan Island
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Jl Site A11 | Lagoi, Bintan Utara, Riau Islands Province 12920, Indonesia   |
Special Offer
All-Inclusive Packages
Ranked #3 of 26 hotels in Bintan Island
Singapore, Singapore
“Beautiful resort. Awesome staff. Great service. A beach haven for families.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

We're basking in the afterglow of our first club med experience as a family and the glow is not only coming from our suntans. Despite the five full days of on and off rain showers, we still managed to get in some sun, snorkeling, kayaking, beach games, chillaxing by the pool/beach.

The multinational GOs & local GEs work very hard to keep us GMs partying happily day and night. They do it with such a light-hearted, fun-loving spirit, we couldn't help but fall in love with them all. At the end of five days, they made fans (& more so friends) out of some of us. We knew many of them by name and some of them knew us by name and nature. Daud (always so kind and happy), Edward (for that wonderful turtle find on our kayak excursion and being so sooo good with our daughter, Mandy!... You're such a fun croupier, too... "Winner! Winner! Chicken dinner!"), Haffiz (for being the only one to step up and meet our bedroom arrangements, making it wonderfully fuss free for us), Eric (the yoga instructor - my new motto: 'Bend it like Eric, not Beckham!' Loved his breakdancing moves!), Ravi (good job on keeping the restaurant wheels running throughout the day - full house and guests still looking happy! That's a great sign) Dani (our first server who instinctively knew it was our first meal and offered to get us our wine and beer because we looked kinda lost), Josh (life of the party! He's so good at leading games & your kids will get attached to him!), Michael & David (while we were there, they both had some minor but serious mishaps. Like heroes, they sucked it up and continued running around doing their thing - taking my hat off to you!), Danny & team (thank you for keeping the adults and kids safe on the trapeze. Also, we fully appreciate the acrobatic performances), Jemmi, Zoe, & team from boutique - so friendly, patient, helpful. I'm glad you guys won the rocket competition & I won a beautiful hat!).

Marco Marco Marco, the event manager (you double touched our hearts with your persona, magic tricks, antics, and talents. My daughter will always be a number one fan! So talented and versatile!). We didn't get to know him personally but there's a Michael Jackson in the house - a must watch.

Mei, the chef de village, is always around speaking to GMs and very concerned that everyone is happy with their stay. So genuine and warm. She makes a wonderful Chef de village for Club Med Bintan.

Our check in was a little rough at the beginning. There was some misunderstanding because we thought that coach transfer was part of the inclusion of our stay since no mention of cost was made throughout my emails with the reservation side. Anyway, upon arrival, we were taken aside and told that we had to pay (rp100,000/person which was not exorbitant but we thought was unfair). We paid and wrote an email to our reservation contact person. We'll see what they have to say.

Another thing we felt uncomfortable about was that upon arrival at around 1pm (sg time would be 2pm), we were told that if we wanted to dine at anytime before 2pm (that would be check-in time) please pay for that meal. Otherwise, wait till 2pm. We went to check out our room which was ready. By 1.45, my daughter was starving, so we decided to head to the restaurant. No fuss at all from the restaurant... Was that kind of calculative first impression neccessary?

The rooms are well cared for. Not 5-star amenities but good enough and linen clean. Floors sufficiently clean. Twice, the shower did not have any hot water on. Water pressure was ok. Two single beds were joined together to make up a king size. Due to the uncomfortable joining in the centre, my husband stayed on his side of the bed and I stayed on mine. Our 9 year old loved her day bed, in her own corner, she created her own world for all her stuff. I appreciate their eco-friendly concept of not cleaning towels on a daily basis. I was also told that water was recycled to water plants. Another environment friendly gesture is the "ask if you need a straw" policy. Big shampoo and shower gel bottles are a fantastic idea to conserve the use of plastic. Having lived in Indonesia for 3 years, we have come to appreciate how clean their floors tend to be kept and this was evident throughout the resort (except for the toilet/shower room for late check-out guests by the bar/pool).

Positives!

The beach is so clean and we saw lots of fish in the sea (even from knee depth). This time of the year, parents can sit back and watch the kids play on the beach safely without too much worry about strong currents. There are jelly fish, though. Few and far apart but they exist.

We liked that generally, guests (GMs) were nice and sophisticated enough not to scramble for food. We especially liked that even if we missed the breakfast and lunch buffets, there was la terrasse for other times of the day (which we liked better because of the setting and the lovely sea view).

I loved doing yoga at the spa! So relaxing and Eric, the instructor was helpful and not very pushy. After all, we're on a holiday!

Wherever and whatever it is within the resort, kids are always thought about. They even have their own drink order counter at the bar with a cute step ladder and all... A wide array of mini mocktails. Kids' favorite I'm guessing in "Don't tell mama!"

The awesome thing about this place (& other repeaters are saying the same thing after having moved around themselves) is that this resort property layout is so contained therefore safe for children to move around autonomously without parents worrying too much about safety. We feel that it is a controlled gated resort area where the main entrance gate is too far for wandering children to get out of or strangers to get in. The beach (if I understand correctly) is not a private beach but due to nature, is closed off to non Club Med Bintan guests.

I wonder if we do return on a less festive period, would we receive similar surprise treats (freshly squeezed OJ on Singapore's National Day), fireworks, champagne, BBQ at the beach bar... We're so spoiled.

My husband and I are quiet people and we just enjoyed sitting / standing back and watching people party and having fun. This is our ideal family vacation. No need to worry about where to go for our next meal or how much is a particular sport or fun activity (most of them are included).

Our daughter cried on the coach after the particularly touching send-off. We had not yet left and she had already requested for a return trip and even 'demanded' that we stay for a whole month the next time we return... I wish! We need Mei's help on that with a big discount! Lol

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

1,277 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

We were two families, three generations each and a total of 17 people. All of us had a fabulous time during our five days stay, despite the downpour that happened every afternoon. We would have been bored to death if not for the resort's ever enthusiastic G.Os and the free flow drinks which even the children enjoyed. Our kids felt very at home, especially after they joined the Mini Club. They knew all the G.O's names (and vice versa) and saw each other several times each day and the G.Os were truly warm who don't just breeze by but stopped to chat with them for a few minutes before moving off. Kids were great fans of Marco, the events manager.

Mei, the General Manager, is always around. I have seen her topping up oranges during breakfast and moving around the club during the day and as with her great and talented team, provided good entertainment at night. Special thanks go out to Ravi, the restaurant manager who helped with booking at the Terrace restaurant, with our big group and birthday celebrations and also trying to sit our families close together, which is not an easy task with the restaurant being very full unless you arrive early.

I would have given the entire experience a full 5 stars rating but felt that three things need to be addressed. Firstly, the rooms are dated, cupboards with chipped wood, chipped toilet doors and dull looking bathrooms. Out of the 7 rooms we collectively had, there were light bulbs, phones and remote controls that were not working. Housekeeping does a great job in coming timely and very obliging toward requests for additional bottled water, change of towels/ bedsheets, it's just the state of the rooms that can't be helped.

Secondly, can't really complain since wifi is complimentary. However, one had to log in several times a day once you are out of the room. The last complaint is about how unfriendly the communication of the day's activities was being carried out. Great if you are hanging out at the public areas, but if you are in the room stuck with a sleeping child or wanting to plan for the activities for the next half of the day, you have to depend on the main channel on the TV and wait for the relevant screen to come up with the day's schedules and timing. Thank god for smartphones, myself and my friend, and I'm sure many other guests, resorted to taking photos of the screen in order to save those information! I can understand if the resort wants to be green and save on printing papers, but at least in this digital age, maybe try to load the schedules/ themes for meals all up on a website? If we are made to login several times a day, I think it will help to direct us after the login to a main page that lists the activities and their timings?

Other than the above, you will really enjoy a stay at the Club Med Bintan. We are beach bums and this beach is one of the best in terms of marine life (snorkel right at the shore) and clarity of the sea and cleanliness of beach. Food-wise, plenty of variety, freshly cooked and kids enjoyed the plastic trays with compartments - very practical! I just wished more information could be disseminated beforehand and timely, such as the need to pack a bag with belongings labelled if your child is going to join the Mini Club. No doubt, our second stay will be more enjoyable now that we know how to 'survive' during our stay at the resort. We have gone to CM Cherating but felt that Bintan offers a more enjoyable experience.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

9 days...we only spend 9 days in Bintan Club Med!! We wanted longer!! This was the 4th times in club med and the 3rd time we stayed in the Club Med Bintan. It was amazing holiday! We enjoy it so much. My son (13 years old) had fun in many activities. The night show is fantastic! Food and drink is good...variety of choice. Room is big and comfortable. What else?? Of course the GO team. They are awesome, enthusiastic and fun with full of energy. I would like to express my BIG thanks to Rendi (Mini club), Abi (Mini club), Josh (Land sport), Nancy (Teens club), Oliver (Bar), Diana (Bar), Robert (Water Sport), Wenny (Reception) ..........BUT special mention must go to Jaya (excursion team) and Anthony (the Bar). Jaya spend his free time and even his day off with my son. They went swimming, kayaking, snorkeling etc. My son had so much fun!!! Anthony, his special drink is incredible (I will always remember the ice coffee story). We had very nice dinners. Chat a lot! Laugh a lot! Such a nice memory!

One more can’t miss! The Chef de Village Mei!! Thanks for taking care of my son when he got injury. Your care means a lot for me!!

Thanks everyone! Are we coming back? The answer is YES! It will be really soon!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

From the moment we arrived at the resort, until the time we left, we felt part of something unique and special. The view was picture perfect from the pools to the beach and friendly smiles everywhere we turned. So many activities for adults and kids to do, sometimes it was hard to fit it all in. Nothing was ever too much trouble. Interconnecting rooms for families was fantastic. Food was amazing........so many international choices......even the head chef would walk around tables and make sure u were happy. The GO's were such a fun group with so many talents. They became like family. A Special big thank you to Davo ("I am your father"), Rendi (warm heart), Robert (sports manager) ( Claudia sends her love to her favourite man), Anthony in the bar (we never learnt to say see u later in French), Rob the lifeguard (dont worry about buying a house yet), Leo (hope the foots healing well, i heard that bananas r good for forehands and watermelon for backhands) Michael (it's safe to say that I am not in the pool now), Josh (we know u love the colour purple, we wont tell anyone), Marco (the most versatile actor ever), Edward the lifeguard (or shall we say Edwardo for the ladies), Jemmy (mini-Michael Jackson), Shirley (keep off your feet).
And everyone else who just made our stay special. One more special thank you to the Chef de Village, Mei, what an amazing team you have. WOW! Until we meet again. Rob, Lucija, Mitchell and Claudia.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

Unfortunately, it was a rainy day. When we first arrive at the terminal, there was a huge crowd. First big mistake by club med was not notifying the huge group that was there for a team event that they had a seperate bus. So when we struggle to get up the bus (standing in e rain), a staff came and told the group that they were on the wrong bus! Wonderful! So other passengers were left standing in the rain while waiting for the whole group to get off. The staff seems apologetic to the big group but not those that were left standing.

On arrival after the initial introduction, groups of GO held boards with names of people who was staying there so that they could bring them to the room. We could not find ours...so we had to go ask a staff (in green dress) that we didnt see our names. She asked us to wait while she checked. After checking, she said sorry but our names were placed in another board with another family. Then after that told us the room was not ready yet. Pls I am not stupid...if the room wasnt ready yet, just say so. Why say that our names was on another board with a another family? Contradicting.

Anyway, we were brought to have our lunch n told we could check in at 2pm.
After lunch, we went back to check-in, we were given our card and was told to go ahead. NO GUIDE PROVIDED! We asked the counter staff where was our room and she promptly said to go to the third floor and walk to the "E" building. The worse was...it was still raining so we had to walk in the rain to the room. Mid way we realise that, if you had gone via second floor, we would be sheltered to our room.

This was really the start of my second visit to club med after so many yrs. Disappointed. Hopefully, the remaining will be a gd trip.

• Stayed August 2013
Hong Kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

4D 3N package with family (x3 girls). As with other Club Med holidays GO's were excellent. Very good Kids Club and Teens Club. Kids participated in the evening shows, and fully occupied during the day and evening allowing M & D quality time. If you want a quieter time away from the main pool the beach is an excellent escape.
My 10yr old daughters comments - "Sally was really good at organizing the kids club and making up the dance routines for the kids club. Vivi, Lindsey, and Rendi were really good at taking care of us and having a good time".
Also the teenage girls were very well looked after by Nancy and all the GO's running the activities.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
S'agaro
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

The premises is by no means luxurious, but certainly benefits from beautiful vistas- and especially a beautiful beach, which is as safe as possible for children. The rooms are rather basic (and could benefit from a renovation) but are clean and functional. Water pressure in shower was great in my rooms (1310-11) and everything works well.

At every level the staff makes sure you are cared for and welcome: restaurants- bar- sports & activities- pool. The lifeguards are very cautious at the pools and in general you feel relaxed to let your kids free, which obviously is welcome for all parents. The staff is very attentive to everyone, but especially children, which is a huge plus. Our kids made many friends and the whole experience helped them grow up a little more.

One huge advantage is having Ria Bintan, the “2nd most beautiful golf of Asia” next door…..a 5 minute drive and you’re teeing off with minutes. Private lessons are possible and I would certainly recommend any of the fantastic golf staff, who are very talented. A special thanks to Bjorn for helping me straighten a few things out!

The nightly entertainment was great- especially for the kids and adults could enjoy cocktails by the pool or beach bar. Marco and his staff has all the kids laughing and entertained. Ask Anthony at the bar to prepare you a surprise drink if you get tired of your usual stuff.

The Village chief Mei is always present and making sure things happens the way they should – she is incredible. Don’t hesitate to consult her for anything.

Ravi – the restaurant manager- was always there to welcome us and make sure we felt welcome and cared for. Rudy, as well as many other chefs always tried to ensure that we enjoyed the food. We would recommend dining a couple of times at the Terrasse restaurant overlooking the beach.

Our special thanks go to Mei- Ravi and Rudy- Marco- Francesca- Bjorn and the entire golf team- Josh for a great tour on mountain bike – Dany- Chelsey- Tarik- Anthony- Olivier- Michael- the lifeguards who always had a careful eye on the kids, Hafiz- the reception manager for the warm welcome upon arrival and of course housekeeping for making sure the rooms are always clean and in order. There were many others who contributed to a great holiday, but I don’t remember all their names unfortunately!

A few suggestions for improvement are: more activities in case of rain- more activities between 12h00 and 15h00- more lessons for Tennis (an afternoon session would be great for those who don’t want to be there at 08h30). Renovation would be great as well, although we realize it’s not always that simple…

Conclusion: if you’re not looking for 5-star luxury- but a pleasant and familiar family vacation full of activities and fun this is the ideal place.

Room Tip: We took a connecting deluxe seaview room and were happy with it.