We stayed at bintan club med for 9 nights with our two children 11 month and 4. Our trip was part of a family get together 16 of us in total, 8 adults and 8 children.
We had read the reviews and were not expecting a high end establishment. There were a number of issues with the place but it was certainly better than we had expected.
Being all inclusive made the stay very easy. We were able to book a table that accommodates all 16 of us each night, and the buffet, while not fine dinning, was quite good, albeit we had low expectations. Our 4 year old ate more for breakfast lunch and dinner everyday than he ever would at home, and we were always able to find a varied selection that we were more than happy with. The wine was also quite drinkable which surprised me. Our 11 month old lived on the Heinz baby food that was provided. It was just a shame there was such a limited variety.
The beach is picture perfect, private with soft white sand that is perfect for building castles. The sea was clear and warm. Just one issue, given its proximity to the Singapore shipping channel there was always a slight oil slick that you could not see but it ruined our white swim suits.
The pool is small and not that picturesque but all 8 of the kids loved it. It was cleaned every morning and we never had trouble finding lounges by the pool or at the beach despite it being the Singapore and Australian school holidays.
We never entered our children into the clubs and this meant that we had to convince the GOs to let our son have a go at the tight rope, on our second attempt we finally were able to let him have a go and he loved it.
Some of the other kids in our group being older took part in the trapeze and also some of the nightly shows and they had almost as much fun as we did watching them.
Four of us booked a trip to Ria Bintan for a round of golf. This was seamlessly organised by club med and the course was absolutely superb.
The highlight of our stay was the invitational dinner at Ria bintan the golf pros from club med and their demonstrations were very good and the food was a notch above what was normally served at the buffet.
The rooms are in need of a make over, the shower hose was falling apart and there was mould on the walls. The beds were comfortable and the sheets clean and the air conditioning worked.
All up its a good place for a large family get together, or for a family trip with children aged 5-14. I would certainly not recommend club med bintan for couples or those looking for rest and relaxation. The pace here is relentless and really is very much geared to the children.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Island of Bintan to the south of Singapore is full of history, marked by fallen empires. Its tranquil bays were long used by the Orang Laut pirates as a refuge. This is where Club Med Bintan Island, a haven of tranquility and refinement combining modernity with Asian tradition, now nestles. From the terrace of the Bar, feast your eyes on the mass of lapis-lazuli blue, mother of pearl and emerald, from the pool to the lush gardens. Nearby, Ria Bintan Golf Course is also a golfer's heaven. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Club Med so you can book your Club Med Bintan Island reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Club Med Ria Bintan Hotel Bintan
- Club Med Bintan Island Riau Islands
- Bintan Club Med