“Another great stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Club Med Bintan Island

Save Saved
You added Club Med Bintan Island to your Saves list
Club Med Bintan Island
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Jl Site A11 | Lagoi, Bintan Utara, Riau Islands Province 12920, Indonesia   |
Special Offer
All-Inclusive Packages
Ranked #3 of 27 hotels in Bintan Island
Melbourne, Australia
“Another great stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Well this is teh second time we have stayed at Bintan and again it was a great stay. 2 daughters 15 and 12, the kids just get up and run with the other kids all days, it's a great rest for parents and a real break from having to continually entertain kids. Food is good (not great), rooms are getting a bit old but are good size. Staff are fun and thoughtful. One of our kids were ill while we were there and the support from the onsite doctor was great. Club Med is Club Med - they do it well for what they offer. Total rest and relaxation, very safe environment, with friendly caring staff. Beds are a bit hard for my liking, plenty of food and cocktails all day and night, great location on the beach.

Room Tip: If you vann pay the extra for the deluxe suites that look out over the main beach - seaview rooms lo...

1,364 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sydney Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

If you like quantity with little quality then this is the place for you.
The local staff attending in the restaurants are very obliging and cannot be faulted.
There is a great range of activities to keep most but not all children happy and occupied.for most of the time.
Regrettably our holiday was spoiled by a number of preventable happenings.
The food is plentiful but features quantity rather than quality.
Food that should be hot e.g. French fries, hash browns, pastas, pancakes, omelettes etc., are offered either cold or lukewarm. When I mentioned the hash browns to the head chef his reply was roughly "What do you want the hash brown chef to do?" "He can't keep serving those hot!"

We are here at the moment having checked in as a family of 11.
Four of the family left prematurely after a disagreement over the interpretation of what was meant by Club Med's generous offer to "Extend your stay at a 20% discount!".
The rooms are very ordinary and in need of an upgrade.
The internet, included in the price, is intermittent and the poor quality is extremely frustrating.

The "policy" is to charge for additional soft drink once the original 6 cans supplied in the mini bar is depleted. We paid a "discounted" $20,515 for a 14 night stay in 3 rooms with the 1 mini bar in the "Deluxe" supplied with 6 cans of soft drink. One wonders what clown devised such a stupid policy that offers 6 cans to be consumed over 14 days and yet would have restocked the bar with 42 cans at no charge had we booked in for 7 stays of 2 nights.

I am writing at a desk in a dimly lit "Deluxe room Sea View" with no overhead light or desk lamp. The corridors are poorly maintained with litter left in the same place over several days.

2 nights ago a staff member spilt a full glass of lemonade on our bar table and my laptop computer. He left without saying a word, we thought to obtain cleaning material. To our amazement he returned to the bar and continued to mix and serve cocktails to others and made no effort to clean our table.

At 1.30pm today I told management that a number (seven in a row) of crucial pathway lights were unlit and inviting disaster.
Tonight at 11.36pm the same lights remain out along with a number of hallway lights..

Now here's the RIP OFF...
Because we arrived before lunch on day 1 we are entitled to 14 breakfasts, 14 dinners BUT ONLY 13 LUNCHES. Had we arrived after 12 noon we would have been entitled to 14 breakfasts, 14 dinners and 14 lunches. The incompetent staff here can only offer that it is "policy" to charge for lunch on day 1 because we CATCH an early ferry despite the fact that we LEAVE on an early ferry on day 15.

We have been "members" for over 30 years having first stayed at the now defunct Moorea in 1981 and then Bora Bora as well as Bali, Ixtapa, Cancun, Bintan (3 times previously) and Lindeman Island. In that time we have witnessed a progressive deterioration in the quality of the holiday offering.
The original Club Med concept advertising featured "No newspapers, no TV , no telephones and no money!".
Sadly there is an increasing and intrusive commercial presence with the guest bombarded with a "local market", photos at outrageous prices and continuous "specials" at the boutique.

Club Med charge SG$272 a couple including transport to play golf at Ria Bintan.
But we played there for SG$226 a couple including transport and a 15 minute foot massage per golfer and 2 bottles of water and golfers insurance and lunch for 2.
Over 8 days Club Med asked SG$368 over the going price to play golf next door at a course that features in their promotional material!
Perhaps management would care to publicly justify this by replying to our review.

Do right. Do your best. Treat others as you want to be treated.

DELIVER MORE PROMISE LESS RATHER THAN
PROMISE MORE DELIVER LESS

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
ClubMedAP, General Manager at Club Med Bintan Island, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your feedback.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our staff service and the activities which Club Med is known for with over 60 activities worldwide on offer.

I have indeed reviewed this unfortunate incident regarding the additional charges that was requested for your early arrival / check-in. I would like to clarify that Club Med’s all inclusive concept includes 3 meals for each night of stay as part of the inclusions. (Main Restaurant and a la carte Restaurant included). Check-in times is after 3h00pm in all of our Resorts and we therefore allow for dinner on arrival day and then, breakfast and lunch will be included on departure day. In this instance, since you were leaving the Resort early on your departure day and were not having lunch on your departure day, we should have offered complimentary lunch on your arrival and this was an error on our behalf.

Please accept my sincere apologies for this misunderstanding with my team members and we will contact you directly for the refund process. I am pleased that you were able to enjoy the Resort with your early arrival / check-in on arrival day.

Regarding the mini bar feedback, indeed, Club Med is an all-inclusive and our standard offer Deluxe rooms with stocked mini bar on arrival. Due our open bar concept and all the drinks included at the Main Bar, we do not refill your personal room mini fridge during the stay. I take your feedback on board and will share with my team Managers for future improvement.

I am sorry that not all aspect of your stay met your expectations and once again, I thank you for your feedback.

Kind Regards,
Chef de Village / General Manager - Club Med Bintan Island
Durban, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

It is a pity that the quality of the resort and the service, particularly of the local staff, does not mirror the beautiful setting of the hotel. Having previously stayed at a Club Med Le Cannonier we were incredibly disappointed with the level of service from the local staff at Bintan. Ordering an (alcoholic) drink at dinner became an ordeal and something which should have been offered upon seating at the table. The continuously disappearing teaspoons, which either were never set at the table initially, became a treasure hunt at EVERY meal time and eventually a source of continuous entertainment while on the hunt for one. Coffee machines were generally broken at least 2 out of every 3 days. Restaurant staff should also be advised that sauces are to be placed after serving the dish (and not before) as this creates a queuing problem. There is no ambiance in the Waterfall restaurant with the main area echoing like a large dining hall (no background music) - choose to sit in the room to the left as you enter the main door. Kids food repeats every day with limited choices. Seating areas around the resort are generally uncomfortable and not a place to linger or socialise and are also limited. Rooms are dated and beds and pillows are incredibly uncomfortable. We stayed in a deluxe room so I felt these facilities should have been better. A guest in a club room remarked that his sheets had holes in them! Rooms were very clean, however the restaurant floor was not. The beach and pool facilities are excellent although more umbrellas are needed at the bottom pool. Nightly entertainment was excellent and daily entertainment seemed lively although somewhat repetitive. My kids felt the same with the kids club programme - 3 tie dies in 1 week. Archery every day etc. Overall a quiet resort. A 4 day stay would probably be long enough but I think I would choose a different Club Med, particularly one with more attention to detail!

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Cannot say enough about this amazing resort. Beautiful pools, serene beach, activities galore, great food and staff who are above and beyond expectations.
The kids club is so well run. Our kids were extremely happy. The staff are professional, cheerful and dedicated.
Infact all of the staff from waiting staff to reception are fantastic.
This place is a real credit to mei the manager.
We will definitely be back next year.

• Stayed July 2013
Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Just returned from a visit to this beautiful resort! It was amazing! This is the perfect holiday spot for South Africans - such a pity that most don't even know where this island is! Just a short ferry trip from Singapore and you are in paradise! A very special thanks to the South African GO's that made our stay so special - Sally D, Shirley, Rob & Bjorn - you guys rock! Also we have to mention Laura - you're enthusiasm for South Africa is amazing and your energy never ending! This resort has scored full points in every aspect! The warm sea water with no waves was amazing (we shared it with the fish swimming all around us at the rock pools!), The food was good, the rooms were fine (you only ever sleep there!), the entertainment great - what more can you ask for? Oh yes - a perfect beach! Will definitely be back!!!

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

My experience at Club Med Bintan was amazing and i met some awesome people there. The resort was breathtaking and my family thoroughly enjoyed the trip. The beach was great and the activities the GO's would put up were fun and enjoyable. I want to thank Jay for being awesome at the bar, Nancy for being an awesome teen's club manager, Min for being awesone at mini club. Cathy and Rosie for being excellent at reception, Jayrate for being so kind at archery and great at it too and the rest of the GO's.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Singapore River, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

The current Club Med incarnation is "Family-oriented". At Bintan, as has been mentioned in other TripAdvisor posts, the property is very rundown, with many of the concrete pathways crumbling and much of the facility needing repair. In fact of the 2 pool tables in the resort, 1 was "out of order", the other had an incomplete set of balls and no functioning cues. Of the other activities provided, most take limited number with less than 10% of the guests able to take advantage and require you to line up an hour or so before the activity.

I have been going to Club Med for 20+ years, including having my honeymoon in Club Med Tahiti, in the 1990s. My father, in his 70s, has been going to Club Med since the 1970s. My brother and his wife have been to Club Med once before. Our most recent trip to Club Med Bintan will certainly be the last.

To be fair, the overall staff (GOs in Club Med speak) were excellent, keeping the family entertained, fed and creating an all round good experience. They should be applauded. The senior management, well that's another story.

The raison d'être for our trip was to have "Christmas in July" where the whole family could relax without having to spend any more money due to the "all inclusive" package offered by Club Med. The total cost for the full family was in excess of $25,000 just for the Club Med portion of the holiday.

We were a group of 11 people from 3 generations of the family, ages 10 through 73. 7 came from Australia for 14 days and booked through Club Med in Australia, the 4 of us (2 adults and 13 and 11 year old girls) coming from Singapore for 5 nights had booked through Club Med in Singapore. Through Singapore, we availed ourselves of a NATAS promotion offering approx 40% discount from $300 per person per night, for 5 nights, which was paid in full in March. For a 4* hotel (they aren't really 4*), this is quite expensive, but when one considers the "all-in" nature, it doesn't seem quite as bad. Having spent the previous week in Bali, $300 was enough for 3 of us (1 adult and 2 girls), "a la carte" for a day, including 4* or 5* accommodation, quality meals and activities, including white water rafting, jet skiing and other offerings not provided by Club Med Bintan. Now I am not complaining about the $730 per day price for a family of 4, as it was all presented upfront and agreed upon prior to going to Club Med Bintan, where we have been a number of times before, but it is certainly not a "value holiday".

Where our holiday went pear-shaped was on the last day. My children, having enjoyed 5 days with their cousins and after noticing a display on a rotating LCD screen offering "Extend your stay with us with 20% discount", I thought to take another day, and receive a 20% discount (to fill an otherwise unused room) would be a great incentive to extend. We were due to leave the resort on Monday afternoon, at 4:15pm. On Sunday afternoon, I enquired about extending and was told it would cost $1,650 for 3 (my wife having already returned to Singapore due to work commitments). This was shocking when it was 126% higher than we'd paid as opposed to "a 20% discount". Which ever way you spin it, that price FOR ONE NIGHT FOR 1 ADULT AND 2 CHILDREN is ridiculous. Comparatively, $682 would get a Seaview Pool Villa at Banyan Tree, a true 5*, with breakfast, but no other meals or activities. Unfortunately, my family group was not staying anywhere else. Later in the evening I approached the Assistant General Manager (the GM was off on Sunday night), explained my problem and he then had the manager of reservations, Hafiz, speak with me who said "don't worry, stay in your room and we'll work it out tomorrow when Singapore is open". Excellent work, so I thought, suggesting that "It'll be worked out" when they have verified with Singapore, the price that I was paying. So I told my children, we'd be staying the next day and they we're thrilled as they could relax and not worry about "good byes" just yet. The next day (our original departure day), I went to the front desk at 10:30am, which is 11:30am in Singapore, figuring that the matter would have been sorted by then. The reception assured me that the room was blocked for us, but they were still awaiting details of the cost. So off I went to enjoy my extra day of holiday.

At 2:00pm, I returned to my room to do a little work. There was no message under the door or any other advice suggesting I needed to contact the reception or reservations. At 3:30pm, 45 minutes before our original, but now postponed, departure time, I received a call to say that my charge would be $1320, after the 20% discount. I was now caught between, being held to ransom and paying the $1320, for 3 people, or racing around to find my children, pack and be at the bus for 4:15pm or pay a penalty charge. Thanks for blackmailing me Club Med. Great way to finish off my family's holiday with a lasting memory.

As I am not one to be blackmailed, I raced to find my children and my wider family to let them know we had to go. My children did not get to say their farewells and even missed saying good bye to their grandfather as he didn't get there in time. As we left, my 13 year old daughter said, "The way they've done this has ruined my whole holiday", which was like a knife in my chest. I could have paid the ransom and kept them happy. Many might say I should have, but 80% higher after being offered a 20% discount was nothing more than deceptive marketing and a shakedown. Had they informed me the evening before, I would have accepted it. But no, they left me 45 minutes to discuss/negotiate with them, then pack and be ready for the bus. The GM, Mei, was back on deck as we left and didn't say a word to us, despite my objections to the reservation staff that I had conversed with and despite the fact that my children were in tears.

So rather than fill the rooms, when they had a large family group, they stuck to their guns, which they are entitled to, and created negative goodwill by the way they handled their customers' situation. And as a family group, we've spent hundreds of thousands of dollars with Club Med. Doesn't sound like smart business to me.

We will be having more of this type of holiday, as a wider family group with potentially more people, but Club Med won't be on any list, short or otherwise.

My advice to all, unless you are a "novice" traveller and Club Med generally makes everything "easy", there's better value for your money elsewhere…much, much better. And perhaps less extortion.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Club Med Bintan Island? Share your experiences!