“WOW!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Club Med Bintan Island

Save Saved
You added Club Med Bintan Island to your Saves list
Club Med Bintan Island
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Jl Site A11 | Lagoi, Bintan Utara, Riau Islands Province 12920, Indonesia   |
Special Offer
All-Inclusive Packages
Ranked #3 of 27 hotels in Bintan Island
Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
“WOW!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Just returned from a visit to this beautiful resort! It was amazing! This is the perfect holiday spot for South Africans - such a pity that most don't even know where this island is! Just a short ferry trip from Singapore and you are in paradise! A very special thanks to the South African GO's that made our stay so special - Sally D, Shirley, Rob & Bjorn - you guys rock! Also we have to mention Laura - you're enthusiasm for South Africa is amazing and your energy never ending! This resort has scored full points in every aspect! The warm sea water with no waves was amazing (we shared it with the fish swimming all around us at the rock pools!), The food was good, the rooms were fine (you only ever sleep there!), the entertainment great - what more can you ask for? Oh yes - a perfect beach! Will definitely be back!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

1,361 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

My experience at Club Med Bintan was amazing and i met some awesome people there. The resort was breathtaking and my family thoroughly enjoyed the trip. The beach was great and the activities the GO's would put up were fun and enjoyable. I want to thank Jay for being awesome at the bar, Nancy for being an awesome teen's club manager, Min for being awesone at mini club. Cathy and Rosie for being excellent at reception, Jayrate for being so kind at archery and great at it too and the rest of the GO's.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Singapore River, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

The current Club Med incarnation is "Family-oriented". At Bintan, as has been mentioned in other TripAdvisor posts, the property is very rundown, with many of the concrete pathways crumbling and much of the facility needing repair. In fact of the 2 pool tables in the resort, 1 was "out of order", the other had an incomplete set of balls and no functioning cues. Of the other activities provided, most take limited number with less than 10% of the guests able to take advantage and require you to line up an hour or so before the activity.

I have been going to Club Med for 20+ years, including having my honeymoon in Club Med Tahiti, in the 1990s. My father, in his 70s, has been going to Club Med since the 1970s. My brother and his wife have been to Club Med once before. Our most recent trip to Club Med Bintan will certainly be the last.

To be fair, the overall staff (GOs in Club Med speak) were excellent, keeping the family entertained, fed and creating an all round good experience. They should be applauded. The senior management, well that's another story.

The raison d'être for our trip was to have "Christmas in July" where the whole family could relax without having to spend any more money due to the "all inclusive" package offered by Club Med. The total cost for the full family was in excess of $25,000 just for the Club Med portion of the holiday.

We were a group of 11 people from 3 generations of the family, ages 10 through 73. 7 came from Australia for 14 days and booked through Club Med in Australia, the 4 of us (2 adults and 13 and 11 year old girls) coming from Singapore for 5 nights had booked through Club Med in Singapore. Through Singapore, we availed ourselves of a NATAS promotion offering approx 40% discount from $300 per person per night, for 5 nights, which was paid in full in March. For a 4* hotel (they aren't really 4*), this is quite expensive, but when one considers the "all-in" nature, it doesn't seem quite as bad. Having spent the previous week in Bali, $300 was enough for 3 of us (1 adult and 2 girls), "a la carte" for a day, including 4* or 5* accommodation, quality meals and activities, including white water rafting, jet skiing and other offerings not provided by Club Med Bintan. Now I am not complaining about the $730 per day price for a family of 4, as it was all presented upfront and agreed upon prior to going to Club Med Bintan, where we have been a number of times before, but it is certainly not a "value holiday".

Where our holiday went pear-shaped was on the last day. My children, having enjoyed 5 days with their cousins and after noticing a display on a rotating LCD screen offering "Extend your stay with us with 20% discount", I thought to take another day, and receive a 20% discount (to fill an otherwise unused room) would be a great incentive to extend. We were due to leave the resort on Monday afternoon, at 4:15pm. On Sunday afternoon, I enquired about extending and was told it would cost $1,650 for 3 (my wife having already returned to Singapore due to work commitments). This was shocking when it was 126% higher than we'd paid as opposed to "a 20% discount". Which ever way you spin it, that price FOR ONE NIGHT FOR 1 ADULT AND 2 CHILDREN is ridiculous. Comparatively, $682 would get a Seaview Pool Villa at Banyan Tree, a true 5*, with breakfast, but no other meals or activities. Unfortunately, my family group was not staying anywhere else. Later in the evening I approached the Assistant General Manager (the GM was off on Sunday night), explained my problem and he then had the manager of reservations, Hafiz, speak with me who said "don't worry, stay in your room and we'll work it out tomorrow when Singapore is open". Excellent work, so I thought, suggesting that "It'll be worked out" when they have verified with Singapore, the price that I was paying. So I told my children, we'd be staying the next day and they we're thrilled as they could relax and not worry about "good byes" just yet. The next day (our original departure day), I went to the front desk at 10:30am, which is 11:30am in Singapore, figuring that the matter would have been sorted by then. The reception assured me that the room was blocked for us, but they were still awaiting details of the cost. So off I went to enjoy my extra day of holiday.

At 2:00pm, I returned to my room to do a little work. There was no message under the door or any other advice suggesting I needed to contact the reception or reservations. At 3:30pm, 45 minutes before our original, but now postponed, departure time, I received a call to say that my charge would be $1320, after the 20% discount. I was now caught between, being held to ransom and paying the $1320, for 3 people, or racing around to find my children, pack and be at the bus for 4:15pm or pay a penalty charge. Thanks for blackmailing me Club Med. Great way to finish off my family's holiday with a lasting memory.

As I am not one to be blackmailed, I raced to find my children and my wider family to let them know we had to go. My children did not get to say their farewells and even missed saying good bye to their grandfather as he didn't get there in time. As we left, my 13 year old daughter said, "The way they've done this has ruined my whole holiday", which was like a knife in my chest. I could have paid the ransom and kept them happy. Many might say I should have, but 80% higher after being offered a 20% discount was nothing more than deceptive marketing and a shakedown. Had they informed me the evening before, I would have accepted it. But no, they left me 45 minutes to discuss/negotiate with them, then pack and be ready for the bus. The GM, Mei, was back on deck as we left and didn't say a word to us, despite my objections to the reservation staff that I had conversed with and despite the fact that my children were in tears.

So rather than fill the rooms, when they had a large family group, they stuck to their guns, which they are entitled to, and created negative goodwill by the way they handled their customers' situation. And as a family group, we've spent hundreds of thousands of dollars with Club Med. Doesn't sound like smart business to me.

We will be having more of this type of holiday, as a wider family group with potentially more people, but Club Med won't be on any list, short or otherwise.

My advice to all, unless you are a "novice" traveller and Club Med generally makes everything "easy", there's better value for your money elsewhere…much, much better. And perhaps less extortion.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

This was our first visit to Club Med and we would definitely go back. As the bus drives down the driveway and many of the staff are in the lobby waving to greet you , you start to wonder what this place is all about. From the moment you step off the bus the staff (mostly called GO's) will go out of their way to try and make your stay at club med the best it can be. As an all inclusive concept you wonder how good the food is going to be and whether or not you will actually like it. Club med certainly surpassed any thoughts or expectations that I had about the food. There was so much food and nearly anything you could think of was available. There was Chinese. Korean, Japanese, Indian, pizza, hot chips, salad, fish, meat, vege's and the list goes on (and on!). Plus, it all tasted very nice. Way too hard to just have 1 course, unfortunate for the waist line!! Great for fussy kids and our baby too as they had a fridge with food just for him. There was activities running pretty much all the time which you could join in if you wanted, or just lounge by the beautiful beach or pool and relax (this could involve sipping cocktails- also included!) our kids had the choice of attending the various kids/mini/petit/teen's clubs for their respective age groups with timetables of activities lined up from about 830am till 830pm, keeping them busy. They also had an evening show they participated in which they found amazing. Besides the kids show one night, every other night they had a professional show put on by the staff that work there. Our family found this great as with young children we would not go out of an evening but when it is at the hotel it was great to stay up and see. Some of the staff are very talented especially the circus team who do various acrobats.
The location of this Club med is very good. There is the beautiful white sandy beach and the lovely blue warm water. But most important for us was it did not take that long to get too. It was only a 45 min ferry ride from Singapore then a 10 min bus ride to the village itself, which is set in well maintained gardens. The rooms are, as some people have mentioned, probably the only thing that might let this place down slightly. They do need to be re done or given a thorough clean. However, given there is so much to do outside the room there is no need to be spending much time there anyway!!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

Just retuned from 9 days at club med bintan with my family and friends. We all had a fabulous time away and are all so sad to have left. All the G.Os put a huge amount of effort into making sure we were always having a great time and there was something to do. The Aussie G.Os especially Davo, Lindsay, Josh and Rob we're all great at checking on us and making sure we were enjoying our stay! And Dave's enthusiasm around the pool for crazy signs and pool games was infectious! We also spent a lot of time with the circus team. Tarik, Ashley, Chelsea, Danny and Said made our afternoons at trapeze so much fun! Overall there was a great atmosphere around the village and I can't wait to go back again soon! Thanks for a fabulous trip Club Med Bintan!

• Stayed July 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

We spent a portion of our honeymoon at the Club Med Resort on Bintan Island. Little did we know how special our honeymoon would be thanks to great service and friendly staff members. From the minute we were greeted until we sadly departed the resort, every moment, every meal, every attention to detail was a reflection of pure professionalism, and exceeded our expectations.

We wish to extend a special thanks to Frandis from the restaurant, Amelia and all the Spa personnel and the friendly front office staff, Hafiz, Omine and Allison for your attention to detail and friendly faces!. Prakehs, Fahrir and Oliver not only organises the bar, but also ensure for great fun and laughter. The GO’s – Bjorn, Rob, Shirley and Sally ensured that our day to day and minute to minute needs were always catered for.

One of only two flaws was the housekeeping department that did not always clean our room as we would have expected, however after reporting this it seemed to have improved.

The second issue was a shocking and unpleasant experience that involved an elephant. On Wednesdays an elephant is rented where guests can feed, take photographs and go on a back ride. This specific elephants is treated cruel and hit with a batten if not submissive. All of this in full view of children and guests. We even noticed a trail of blood from where the sharp edge of the batten pierced the elephant’s skin. Our dissatisfaction was reported to Mei, the resort Chief but has recently learned that the elephant is still rented. This is obviously very disappointing in Club Med & Bintan Resort’s management’s judgement regarding ethical treatment of Animals.

We would give Club Med Bintan Island a conditional 9 out of 10, permitting the use of animals for entertainment will no longer occur.

Room Tip: Rooms are generally nice, but if you do not have a sea view, ask for the R-block. This is close eno...