“Not As Great As Before” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Club Med Bintan Island

You added Club Med Bintan Island to your Saves list
Club Med Bintan Island
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Jl Site A11 | Lagoi, Bintan Utara, Riau Islands Province 12920, Indonesia   |
Special Offer
All-Inclusive Packages
Ranked #2 of 28 Hotels in Bintan Island
“Not As Great As Before”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Its my 4th time to CM Bintan and sad to say the experience was not as great as before. Was there 24-26 May for our corporate incentive trip with 23 of my colleagues. The food variety and quality at the main restaurant was bad. The food at the ala carte restaurant was much better but you need to make reservations for dinner.

The bar manager and one of the other bartender tend to pay more attention to selective guests (they are of the same race as my colleagues and I, mind you) and we often had to wait quite awhile to be served. There was even once, an Australian guest observed that the bartender ignored me and served three others who came after me and he told him off. Thanks mate!

On the brighter side, activities were carried out professionally n the disco night where we could dance till 3am was fun. The pilates and body conditioning classes with Chelsea were great. Body conditioning class was real tough. Oh, and if you wanna join the cycling activity, sign up early on the day itself at the sports center at 9am. They only have 3 bikes.

We had the superior seaview rooms at block T and the rooms were comfortable. Rather far from the main area but I didn't mind the walk. I know CM is not about the rooms as we are hardly in there so I don't have high expectations in this area.

The food and overall service needs improvement so I would say this is my worst experience among the CM villages I've been to so far (besides this being my 4th time to bintan, I've also been to phuket and Bali). Unfortunately, based on this latest experience, I'm going to shelf holidays to CM for awhile...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

Club Med Bintan was the best! Went as a couple taking our first trip together, and it was really fun. The best part for both us was the circus school/trapeze! We practically lived there during the five days we stayed. The G.Os were warm and friendly and took the time to remember everyone. The food was good and there was a pretty wide variety. Most of the shows were enjoyable and either hilarious or breathtaking! Everything was good! The G.Os we loved the most were the circus G.Os: Tarik, Ashley, Danny and Viola! They encouraged us and were extremely sweet and funny! And the stunts they performed were super cool. We loved the range of activities Club Med Bintan had to offer, both the fixed (such as snorkeling, golf lessons, kayaking, archery, water aerobics, etc) and the ones that changed daily (night sports competitions, casino night, tournaments, water sports games like water polo, etc). They were all fun and the only times we were bored was in between activities (but that's not their fault, 'cause we both have really short attention spans). It was a blast, and we would definitely recommend this resort to couples, families and friends!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

Went on a family vacation with our 5 and 3 year olds. We were given 2 rooms with connecting door which the children enjoyed. The beds were comfortable but do agree with some reviews on the oldness of rooms. If they refurbish them it would be perfect.

The beach was surprisingly nice and we were happy just being there all day! The main pool was not too child friendly but we hang out becauseof activities and it was near to everything.

The performances every night were fantastic. My older child asks for it all day after our return. The poolside dinner with the acrobatic show was fantastic.

Food could be improved but it's a buffet so we can't ask for much.

We would like to thank the GM Mei for being so friendly and helpful. She made my daughter so happy with the medal and certificate even though she didn't stay a full day with the Kids Club. Thank you!

A good family vacation that is just nearby to Singapore.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

I enjoyed my four night stay in club med bintan so much that I'm posting a review on the same day I reluctantly left the resort. We received such a warm welcome to the place by the energetic staff and they all came to say goodbye when we left. I don't think you'll get such a treatment in many other places in the world.

There were so many activities to do and I tried out a bit of everything; archery, sailing, windsurfing, kayaking, trapezing, yoga, aqua aerobics, nature walk, body conditioning, beach volleyball and I could go on forever. This is definitely a treat for the more active, adventurous travellers among us.

But even if you're not so keen on wearing yourself out, you'll have no trouble lazing around by one of several open bars, or treating yourself to a ten course meal at the sumptuous buffets. You may even get some reading done if you're not being chatted to by the incredibly multitalented, multilingual staff (GOs) who do their best to ensure you're having a good time.

I especially enjoyed spending time with tennis mentor Leo and archery guru Jayrate. They were very hospitable, humourous and accommodating. We had very honest conversations over lunches and at various events and I wish them all the best for their future endeavours. The water sports crew like Tommy were also incredibly patient and a lot of fun to work with.

Also a special mention to the santai bar team - it was a pleasure meeting down-to-earth staff like Hiro-san and Diana who tirelessly take great care of everyone everyday from morning until after midnight.

The 9pm events are hysterical. If nothing else convinced you to go and try out Club Med Bintan, you have to see the GOs performing at their nightly events. Wayan Jackson was incredible!

Finally I have to say thanks to Mei, the GM. She runs a tight ship and does an awesome job taking care of all the guests.

If I have to say one negative thing about the place, it's that the GOs do come to have lunch with you and while I personally enjoyed meeting some of these staff and talking to them about the best job in the world that they have, sometimes the GOs do get it wrong and interrupt couples on honeymoon and other such groups that don't really want to be disturbed. If you don't feel like you're in a particularly chatty mood that day, do pick a smaller table (or like a table for 2 if there's just 2 of you) so that the staff won't come to sit with you.

Other than that I can't stress enough how awesome this place is. If you've never been to Club Med, give this one a go =)

Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

What made Club Med Bintan most memorable and engaging is the Chief of the Village, Mei and her team of wonderful GOs namely Wayan, Jono, Chelsea, Shirley, Syera, Leo, Jayrate, Eric, Hiro, Deanne, Marco and many others. They were so warm and friendly and made you feel really welcome. The shows in the evenings were really entertaining and it amazed me that the team members were so talented! Of course, the bountiful spread of food and drinks... you never have to worry about food and drinks here. What we took away were wonderful memories and friendships that will last us a long long time to come. In fact, we are already planning our next Club Med holidays. Can't wait!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

We spent a week at Club Med Bintan late April. That was a couple of weeks ago and my kids are still talking about it. How they loved it. How much fun it was. How friendly the staff was. How good the food was...... So, you know what it's like if you're a parent: happy kids, happy parents. Truth is, we adults loved it too! The staff were amazing. They gave 150% of themselves all day and a good portion of the night too. They are what made our Club Med experience truly amazing. And the location was beautiful.
The rooms are.... tired. They need a serious refurbishment. That is the one and only sore point. The only other item that one needs to be aware of is that there is nothing "cultural" to visit on Bintan island. We did the elephant trip just because we had never seen elephants before (other than in zoos, of course), and it was ok.
Coming back to the Club Med positives:
The restaurant was wonderful with food for everyone: Western-stye (pizza, pasta etc.... ) But we especially enjoyed the Japanese, Indonesian, Chinese and Korean. The beach was gorgeous: a beautiful long stretch of fine white sand, warm water, at least 30 degrees C and flat.
The activities were countless and genuinely fun- at every moment of the day, there was something for everyone to do. And if you wanted to just sit and read your book, well you could do that too.
I want to come back to the quality of the staff because I have never experienced such a thing in my life. They were just..... awesome. The overall friendliness of them all. And the shows they put on every evening, just fantastic! The kids club staff was great, and what a show the children put on for us on the last evening!
So overall HERE is a great place for a family vacation.
We're already booking our next Club Med experience....

Room Tip: Spend the extra money and book a deluxe room. It's worth it.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Singapore, null, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

My partner and I planned a trip to Club Med Bintan based on a recommendation from a friend and I must agree she was spot-on. We had an AMAZING time from arrival to the time we left. It was the first time we left a holiday destination and had to try REALLY hard not to burst into tears. I was rather worried reading mixed reviews prior to leaving but I must say, we really did have the best time.

We arrived around 12plus in the afternoon and were greeted with such enthusiasm I actually had a fright haha! It definitely wasn't something I'm used to but I will admit it was extremely amusing and fun to watch. It put us into an immediate holiday mood. We were ushered to our room by a lovely GO, and despite a slight language barrier, we found him to be very sincere and sweet! I feel horrible for not remembering his name!

We lazed around for a bit in the room (which was LOVELY) while our luggage was promptly delivered to us :) Sure beats having to carry the luggage up 3 flights of stairs ourselves haha. Oh yes, there's a strict NO TIPPING policy over at Club Med. I embarrassingly made the mistake of trying to give the lovely GO a tip :/ Anyway, love the policy hehe.

We made our way for lunch soon after and let me just say, YOU ARE SPOILED FOR CHOICE OVER AT THE RESTAURANT. A buffet at breakfast, lunch AND dinner?! And everything was delicious!!! It was like a living nightmare because you go there hoping that doing a ton of different sports will keep you in shape but you just can't help gorging yourself with all the goodies haha. Maybe they should start making terrible food :P

At most of our meals, we were joined by lovely, chatty and friendly GOs! I was pretty stunned on the first day because I'm generally rather reserved and not a huge talker, but they sure got me out of my shell haha. I soon started making conversation voluntarily and looked forward to seeing all the GOs we met! Some of the lovely GOs we met include:

Bjorn (He taught us golf and I am now in love with the sport!!! He's so encouraging and PATIENT, oh goodness, he's got immense patience, I have no idea how he does it because I would have slapped myself 5 minutes into learning)
Wayan (Another amazing golf instructor who is just HILARIOUS! And a great Indonesian Michael Jackson too ;)
Jono (Super friendly dude who was a permanent fixture at the bar. No I'm just kidding hahaha. I learned so much about South Africa from him!)
Hiro (By far the most relaxed and amusing Japanese man I have ever met! Gave me lovely advice on visiting Japan and lots about the country's culture too!!)
Jay (So down to earth and lovely to talk to! He got my partner -Melvin- and I to be "models" for a night and we had so much fun dressing up and pretending we were top models hahaha)
Haffiz (We had such a good time at lunch -twice! yay!- and laughed SO MUCH talking absolute rubbish!!! Dancing the night away was uber fun too!!)
Ariel (My fiesty buddy whom we also had the pleasure of lunching with twice! She's so much fun to talk to and just annoy haha :P She says she's shy but damnnn she's a good dancer! I learned lots about Mauritius through her!)
Laura (I had no idea Laura worked in reception because I just wondered 'who's that pretty lady walking around all the time??' but anyway she's such a sweetie and we sure had a lot of fun dancing at the nightclub!)
Rosie (We didn't get to talk much but we had a lot of fun dancing together!! she's so sweet and never failed to ask us how we were or what we were up to!)

To the people whose names I can't remember (I AM SO SO SORRY):
Aside from Jay, there are two other LOVELY GOs who work at the Boutique. One whom I had the pleasure of dining and dancing with and the other who put up with my incessant questions and need to try on pretty much every pareo. Thank you to you both as well!!

Also, fantastic job done by Rob (Sports Manager) and Mei (GM). They were definitely the more "serious" ones but I will say, they keep the place running in tip-top order which I'm sure without, we wouldn't have had half the fun we experienced! GREAT JOB GUYS!!!

Anyway, you'll be entertained nightly by shows put up by the GOs (makes you wonder whether they ever sleep haha) and if you're like us, unfortunately may have to end up on stage making a fool of yourselves too hahaha. There are tons of activities, rain or shine (we saw how quick activities were created inside as soon as it rained) and honestly, there's so much to do that there's never a moment for you to be bored. If you're active, enjoy sports, love a good meal and are ready to step out of your comfort zone to meet some amazing people, this is the perfect place for you.

If I could go back tomorrow, I most definitely would. Actually if that were the case I'd just go back right now! Oh yes, forgot to mention. If you decide to go for a massage (you should!!), you'll be granted by such an breathtaking view, you'd never want to leave. We'll be back, FOR SURE!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Club Med Bintan Island? Share your experiences!